Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 372649 This is what you missed out on Uncle Mike. Dropped that last big ash for Wayne, and then got to work on the rest of the red oak. With it getting dark earlier I used the hydro splitter to just make them small enough to handle, going to have to use the fiskars and my two arms to finish knocking them down to stackable size. I might just buy a splitter, next thou, it might make life easier. There is now a enormous pile of wood down by the trapoline that needs splitting.............
Great trailer! How much wood is in that load?

Had one of my shop customers ask me if I had a need for a couple cord of white oak at a good price , since I wouldn't mind a few saw logs I said I'd go have a look at the trees .
I went out today , certainly a good couple of cord and then some , nice and straight but nothing to saw , all 6" to 10" so just firewood , then he asked how much I'd pay , I told him I don't sell my firewood , I've given a couple of cord away last winter to a retired couple on a fixed income and I scrounge my wood so I can't pay , showed him some of my van load pics from my phone , he thought about it for a minute and said , if I gave him a fair deal on some tires for his garden tractor he'd help me drag them out Saturday :)
Does that count as a scrounge , I mean , it's white oak an all ?????

Wood1.jpg Didn't know it was my Birthday Today but a tree company was trimming around the the power lines on my street and were taking whole trees down as well, Gave me all of the wood!!! 3 Maple 2 Ash and a Red Oak Im going to be busy wiping the smile off my face as well as the spliting and stacking!!!!

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 48
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 40
The truck in my avatar is the one I tow the dump trailer with, unfortunately I didn't get to fill the trailer tonight but did fill the bed of the truck. My buddy at work told me that the power company dropped some trees at his place, I asked him if it was evergreen or real wood. He said it had leaves not needles. So after work I drove over there and it was silver maple, not true hard wood, but hey......... it was already one the ground. He and i loaded up the back of the truck and I headed home to unload. In better news, I came to a deal on a 34 ton ariens splitter with a blown motor. Thing looks new, can't imagine that the motor is blown but well see. Got it for $200, I told the guy.....Im gonna run to the ATM right now! Bring it home tomorrow night!!!! Can't wait. I got either a 16hp Kawasaki down shaft or a 12 HP Tecumseh to put on it. Either way I'm EXCITED!!!! I shopped around and didn't buckle on a couple home made jobs for more money..... I got a giant pile that needs attention so I hope this helps. Ill try and snap a pic at the growing pile down by the trampoline that needs being split into stackable sizes.

Contrary to popular belief, us small time tire dealers that are competitive are working on a very small margin , the good thing is that the fella knows that and doesn't want it for free, just the best deal that I can give him so he was happy when I said cost .
He knows that the wood is not for profit and that my wood pile was free to me and I have a key to a gated road so I wasn't bsen ,he just didn't know that I didn't have any oak LOL

The more people that know you burn wood, the better the chance someone may contact you about available firewood. Always good having another set('s) of eyes looking around. Especially good letting your neighbors know you burn wood. The closer the wood, the less it costs you and the less time it takes to get it. Like has been said before, don't overlook those dumps and transfer stations. Once it gets cooler people start doing their fall cleanup and it is surprising the wood they throw away.

Today's score, red oak, white oak with a dab of pin oak mixed in. I'm gonna finish up this oak, and I have 2 hickory logs to cut up then I'm gonna go cut up that ash. My neighbor gave me 4 white oaks about 20" at the base. They are standing, but he wants more sun on his garden. I'm gonna have to build a wood shed! My racks are getting full!

463e3a73726aa0e44f70cf85e17ceaac.jpg

Thanks

Is that the DR splitter? How do you like it and which model is it?

It's my brand-used DR RapidFire Pro-XL (75lb flywheels). Splits everything I've thrown at it. Sometimes I have to hit a round twice, but it's fast enough that a second strike doesn't take long. I have had the rack and pinion replaced under warranty after some pretty gnarly beech. 10x faster than swinging a maul.

Back