Selling Black Walnuts: How to...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlguyer

Reaction score
My son has decided that he wants to be a young bussinessman and try to sell the walnuts he's been collecting off our property. Is there any outlet for this??

Does anyone just buy smaller quantities (a bushel or two at a time)?

Do they have to be hulled and processed somehow first?

We are in Central Indiana if that makes a difference. Thank you so much for your help!! :)

walnuts

hi, i have atree farm in central oh. lots of walnuts on the ground, in fact i have to rake them up before i mow so i don't ruin mower blades. i looked into selling walnuts . most of the buyers i found were amish. the prices they were paying were so low i couldn't justify the time and expense of gathering, bagging an delivering. keep in mind that this is from the perspective of a 60 year old man. i wouldn't want to dampen the entreprenurial spirit of your son. so you may not even want to tell him about my response. hopefully you will get more replies that may help him out. good luck

Agree with Leonardo - in order for that to be a profitable venue, massive quantities of walnuts would need to be collected then trucked out to businesses looking to buy them. Selling walnuts in small quantities by the lb. would not be worthwhile.

http://www.hammonsproducts.com/page...C3907&ie_key=A6E5BAB93EAE4E4B8D839EB52B402DE6

This is the big commercial buyer. I read their report and the nut price could be up some this year. They start buying in a couple days and I would think there could be a collection point near you.

Putting a sign up in your yard or posting an ad in a store entrance might stir up some local interest. I read the nut meats sell for $8/lb. Good Luck.

Try this.

Let the lad set up a roadside type stand & see what happens. Also,...
check with the local health food store. They might want some for anyone doing the candida diet. Part of this is that you take 3 or 4 entire black walnuts, (husks on), and soak them in a quart jar filled with vodka. Let sit for a few days and toss the nuts & keep the liquid. According to what I've read, this gives you a years supply of tonic in which you take 3 drops / day. Supposidly this cleans out your digestive tract of any parasites and helps with excessive yeast issues. However be careful if you have kidney issues.

Just a thought.

Ron

$11.00/100lbs here this year.

Picking walnuts is ok for the kids to spend a day or two on just for a little extra spending money, but as far as doing it for income, it's usually below minimum wage unless you've got tons of nuts in a small area, and a short drive to the buyers.

Back in the early 60's, my sister & I picked up a bushel basket of shelled hickory nuts. The guy at the cider mill gave us 5.00 for it, we thought we were the richest kids in town.

Latest posts

Back