Semi Chisel vs Full Chisel Cut Times

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novaman64

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Husky 359 with a 20" Carlton Bar and a Carlton Semi Chisel Chain, 70 link, modded the muffler (took off the carb caps and tuned it as well). Father in law just picked up a brand new Husky 455 Rancher, came with a 20" bar and a Oregon 72 link full chisel chain (both saws are 3/8 .050 chains). He was talkin smack to me saying how his 455 was a better saw and what not. To cut to the point we decided to race. We used a piece of dried pine, bout 18". Both started cuts at the same time, it was almost a dead even race. I thought for sure that my saw would have beat his...

Do you think his saw kept up because of the difference in chains? Or is my motor getting tired and due for a rebuild? I figured his saw being brand new and not broken in all the way would sort of cancel out the fact that mine has some hours on it.

How much of a time difference does a semi chisel vs full chisel chain make?

Last edited:
im sure the chain helped but so did your muffler mod. i have been saying the 455 is a good cutting saw that cuts more like a 4HP saw than what its rated for and been ridiculed.

:monkey:

LMFAO!

:bowdown:

chisel

I have a 2004 Husky 359 with a 20" Carlton Bar and a Carlton Semi Chisel Chain, 70 link, modded the muffler (took off the carb caps and tuned it as well). Father in law just picked up a brand new Husky 455 Rancher, came with a 20" bar and a Oregon 72 link full chisel chain (both saws are 3/8 .050 chains). He was talkin smack to me saying how his 455 was a better saw and what not. To cut to the point we decided to race. We used a piece of dried pine, bout 18". Both started cuts at the same time, it was almost a dead even race. I thought for sure that my saw would have beat his...

Do you think his saw kept up because of the difference in chains? Or is my motor getting tired and due for a rebuild? I figured his saw being brand new and not broken in all the way would sort of cancel out the fact that mine has some hours on it.

How much of a time difference does a semi chisel vs full chisel chain make?

A lot........the chain was the difference, your 359 would have more than smoked him, especially with a modded muffler.........:hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy:

im sure the chain helped but so did your muffler mod. i have been saying the 455 is a good cutting saw that cuts more like a 4HP saw than what its rated for and been ridiculed.

:monkey:

LMFAO!

:bowdown:

Ummm....I'm sorry but....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

It could have something to do with the 455

Maybe the x-torque offset the muffler mod difference? I'm sure people will throw rocks at me but I think the 359 is better suited for 16"-18" bars if you're using 3/8's pitch. I love my 359s but I wouldn't go longer than 18" in hardwood like dead oak.

Maybe, it doesn't matter how big the saw is or how powerful. When you are cutting through styrofoam it doesn't matter if its a 192 or a modded 660, they will both get through the block with only a few tenths of a second difference.

Go cut something that requires some balls like hedge or black locust or another good hardwood. Then you will separate what works from what doesn't.

I don't see how one cut through 18" pine would tell you much.

My opinion,

Sam

Give Husky some credit....

As usual, most of the people bashing the saw haven't ran it. It is heavier & wider than the 357/359(very slightly), doesn't have a mag crankcase so we assume it's tougher to rebuild. But none of those things have anything to do with power or cutting speed.

Maybe, it doesn't matter how big the saw is or how powerful. When you are cutting through styrofoam it doesn't matter if its a 192 or a modded 660, they will both get through the block with only a few tenths of a second difference.

Go cut something that requires some balls like hedge or black locust or another good hardwood. Then you will separate what works from what doesn't.

My opinion,

Sam
+1 Sam! My 025 feels like a powerhouse when I cut Cherry.

Hahahaha. You guy's crack me up!
Go put a real chain on that 359, go back and kick his @zz.

Andy

+1

I have an 026 with muffler mod and "square chisel" chain that out cuts all the 026/260's around here and they don't seem to understand why. :bowdown:

I'm with Andy, put on the square chisel chain and kick his butt. :cheers:

+1 Sam! My 025 feels like a powerhouse when I cut Cherry.

Yes, exactly my point. If a person is cutting 18" pine then heck I will get out my hand saw and race you???

I mean its only going to take so long to get through the stuff. You could probably race a little top handle through it and not get more than 1.5 second difference (slight exaggeration but you get the point), LOL.

We did multiple cuts, and they were about even every time. I have a new full chisel chain. I will throw it on and try it again.

"About even every time", no kidding its little softwood. Would you believe that your saw will probably beat an 084 through that size soft stuff.

My opinion,

Sam

We did multiple cuts, and they were about even every time. I have a new full chisel chain. I will throw it on and try it again. :)

i wouldnt listen to too many around here. dont get your hopes up.

:givebeer:

if you listen to them they will tell you the 455 is an overweight, underpowered @3.4HP, plastic POS that wouldnt outcut a wildthing. would be a shame if i showed them their precisous 361 barely outcuts it.

:greenchainsaw:

i wouldnt listen to too many around here. dont get your hopes up.

:givebeer:

if you listen to them they will tell you the 455 is an overweight, underpowered @3.4HP, plastic POS that wouldnt outcut a wildthing. would be a shame if i showed them their precisous 361 barely outcuts it.

:greenchainsaw:

When you say "barely outcuts it." are you using a stop watch or sun dial, to time the cuts?

Just wondering,

Sam

When you say "barely outcuts it." are you using a stop watch or sun dial, to time the cuts?

Just wondering,

Sam

We both started cuttin at the same time and saw who went all the way through first... We have some oak that needs to be cut so well have to try that...

My opinion,

Sam

I have agree with Sam the Slam,

It's all about chainspeed in a bit of wood like that. Chisel will out cut semi-chisel everytime too. Get a nice piece of hardwood and put a full chisel chain on your saw then try it again.:cheers:

Only way to really tell [and that's if you really, really care], is to put the same type chains on both, then using the same tree, each of you run both saws while the other guy times. That neutralizes chain differences and technique differences. Or get a tougher cutting job to do, and try it again. I've found that in reasonably easy cutting scenarios, many saws will cut with similar times if the chains are alike and equally sharpened.

Back