Semi Chisel vs Full Chisel Cut Times

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slamm, we all know that you are FOS because you lumped the old slow 090 in with the 084/088. The only RPM that counts is RPM in the wood. Down pressure plays a large part, but I've got my hands full explaining the basics...........

18 inch diameter wood is a very formidable foe for any 60cc saw. The chain with the clear advantage would be the one which can move the chips.

You obviously have been offended as has your 455. So?????

When you get some real experience......... come back and play.

Fred

You want a video to prove it? :ices_rofl: :biggrinbounce2:

The best cutting most often is made above max hp rpms anyway - provided your saw is adequate for the wood - that's why Huskys usually outcuts comparable Stihls, except the MS361, who acts like a Husky xp because of the four channel design..... .:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Slamm, we all know that you are FOS because you lumped the old slow 090 in with the 084/088. The only RPM that counts is RPM in the wood. Down pressure plays a large part, but I've got my hands full explaining the basics...........

18 inch diameter wood is a very formidable foe for any 60cc saw. The chain with the clear advantage would be the one which can move the chips.

You obviously have been offended as has your 455. So?????

When you get some real experience......... come back and play.

Fred
I don't even own a 455?????? Never have and never will??

I used fairly simple analogies to try to explain why if these two fellas would cut in hard wood as apposed to softwood they would be about to see a wide gap between the saws, instead of measuring the difference in nano seconds. If you dumba$$ don't believe that or concurr with my statements that is fine. As to the using a handsaw or 090 or any other analogy I used, it was an exageration, I thought they were obvious, but I guess you guy's don't read for comprehends or read two or three sentences and then state typing and come up with these wild A$$ assumptions like I have a 455 or that I could handsaw and beat a chainsaw????????
You fellas are the ones that look stupid, LOL. I was simply explaining that if he wanted to see a larger difference in the timed cuts, cut hardwood. Very simple and logical, make the saws work. Did I say that softwood wouldn't work, NO. The guy thought or wanted to see a bigger difference in the cuts and I simply explained that there would be a larger difference if they cut in hardwood.

Am I wrong?????

Sam

Am I wrong?????

Sam

Well, now that you ask.........

I believe that you made the assertion that the difference in elapsed time would be small in an 18 inch pine log because it is not substantial enough to derive a large enough variance.

To that, I and others have called shenanigans.

The et for a 359 with a sharp chain in 18 inch pine should be around 15 seconds. That seems like a gross enough figure to find a trend.

Fred

BTW my reading comprehension is rather adequate, but thanks for asking.

Where in North Carolina?

If you let me watch I'll bring the beer. I hope you don't mind Rolling Rock (I save the Pabst Blue Ribbon for when I visit Thall10236).

Well, now that you ask.........

I believe that you made the assertion that the difference in elapsed time would be small in an 18 inch pine log because it is not substantial enough to derive a large enough variance.

To that, I and others have called shenanigans.

The et for a 359 with a sharp chain in 18 inch pine should be around 15 seconds. That seems like a gross enough figure to find a trend.

Fred

BTW my reading comprehension is rather adequate, but thanks for asking.

And it would be what in a typical hardwood? More

How many seconds difference would their be between the two saws in question? At this point there was little to no difference right (as per, the thread starter), and that was in your almighty pine, are you betting there isn't any difference in the hardwood??

Or would you say that what difference there is/should be will be magnified??

Am I wrong??

Sam

Bs

thats what i was hoping for, my clock could use a good cleaning. its very dirty.

:cheers:

LOL, must be all the BS that you say, must bounce off the computer and hit the clock! LOLOLOLOLOLOL.....LMAO!!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

Maybe, it doesn't matter how big the saw is or how powerful. When you are cutting through styrofoam it doesn't matter if its a 192 or a modded 660, they will both get through the block with only a few tenths of a second difference.

Go cut something that requires some balls like hedge or black locust or another good hardwood. Then you will separate what works from what doesn't.

I don't see how one cut through 18" pine would tell you much.

My opinion,

Sam

Dam Sam,

Wouldn't it have been much more clear if you had said "You will see a bigger difference if you cut hardwood.", instead of slinging so much BS?
I think I've found the problem, and took the liberty to highlite it above. You just don't see.
If a man can't tell the difference in two saw's in one cut through 18" Pine he needs to get a little more time on a saw before exposing his "wisdom".

Andy

Dam Sam,

Wouldn't it have been much more clear if you had said "You will see a bigger difference if you cut hardwood.", instead of slinging so much BS?
I think I've found the problem, and took the liberty to highlite it above. You just don't see.
If a man can't tell the difference in two saw's in one cut through 18" Pine he needs to get a little more time on a saw before exposing his "wisdom".

Andy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

+1

The best cutting most often is made above max hp rpms anyway - provided your saw is adequate for the wood - that's why Huskys usually outcuts comparable Stihls, except the MS361, who acts like a Husky xp because of the four channel design..... .:greenchainsaw:

I think of a XP as a saw suited for a racer. They haul azz right out the box and do that with speed. I have a 272xp that makes great power but it doesn't have the torque a 044/440 does. You put the least little bit of pressure on that 272 and it is dead, the 044/440 keeps going. If the newer XP's(372) are like the 272, they don't want any peice of a 25" bar. Keep the revs up on the husky and it cuts great.:cheers:

I will have to make a better opinion when I run the healed Mr. Drippy.:)

Pine's not that soft when it's 100 years old, even 20 years at 20+ inches you're not wanting much less than 066's for it, but sure certain species ironwood, locust etc.. down here black maire, along with many native hardwoods .. dead especially, it's where you want a big slow chain and chugging motor

Why does wood get so much harder when dead?

I've stumbled across a few Oaks, mainly Red Oaks that had been dead for who knows how long. They're arched off the ground so they haven't been rotting. The bark is long gone, they range from milky gray to almost black on the outside. When I cut these babies they take a lot longer to get through and the chips are a lot smaller.

I've stumbled across a few Oaks, mainly Red Oaks that had been dead for who knows how long. They're arched off the ground so they haven't been rotting. The bark is long gone, they range from milky gray to almost black on the outside. When I cut these babies they take a lot longer to get through and the chips are a lot smaller.

Could get pretty elaborate in an answer, but in short; The lack of moisture changes a lot of thing's in the wood.

Andy

Good point Redprospector...

Yeah, now that you mention it seems like the "wetter" woods seem to cut much easier.

greener the easier but some greenwood's harder than some deadwood

Latest posts

Back