Semi Chisel vs Full Chisel Cut Times

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redprospector

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes, exactly my point. If a person is cutting 18" pine then heck I will get out my hand saw and race you???

I mean its only going to take so long to get through the stuff. You could probably race a little top handle through it and not get more than 1.5 second difference (slight exaggeration but you get the point), LOL.

"About even every time", no kidding its little softwood. Would you believe that your saw will probably beat an 084 through that size soft stuff.

My opinion,

Sam

Haven't raced many saw's have you Sam?
If you have, you're talking out of your butt, because your mouth know's better.

Andy

scotclayshooter

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had a 455 rancher and no shame to it it would cut quite well
Hell i wasnt that impressed with the way the 036 cut until the muffler mod woke it up
It didnt cut much faster than the 455!!! before the mod
I hate to say this but Wanabs right it does cut like a 4hp saw
But a modded 359 should have smoked it even with semi chisel

redprospector

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Always, I don't know anything. Which of the many things that I said in that post is more incorrect. I'm here to learn from you. I will be quiet now while you write.

Sam

Well, it's hard to decide which is the most incorrect.:laugh: I guess the least incorrect would be that you could get a hand saw and race, but we'd all be sitting around drinking coffee waiting for you to finnish.
My suguestion would be to get some 18" Pine and let it age a while (not rot), then get a stop watch and try all your different types of chain and different size saw's, and see for yourself the error of your ways.
Better yet, come on out west and compete with us in some of that "styrefoam", that will give you the quickest education.

Andy

Slamm

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, it's hard to decide which is the most incorrect.:laugh: I guess the least incorrect would be that you could get a hand saw and race, but we'd all be sitting around drinking coffee waiting for you to finnish.
My suguestion would be to get some 18" Pine and let it age a while (not rot), then get a stop watch and try all your different types of chain and different size saw's, and see for yourself the error of your ways.
Better yet, come on out west and compete with us in some of that "styrefoam", that will give you the quickest education.

Andy

Is that all you have? Well then, I will walk away with my tail between my legs, just to make you feel better, LOL.

Get some 18" pine, whoah, tough stuff for sure there.

Why don't we just get some hard maple or hedge or black locust and do as I suggested, and you will, in fact see which saw/chain setup has the real balls, in spades???? Not just in .005784th of a second either.

Since you live out west, I'll give you the long bars, full wraps and whatever else you want to cloak yourself in, but please don't bring pine of all things to the table as some sort of bada$$ wood product.

My opinion, you can have yours,

Sam

redprospector

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Is that all you have? Well then, I will walk away with my tail between my legs, just to make you feel better, LOL.

Get some 18" pine, whoah, tough stuff for sure there.

Why don't we just get some hard maple or hedge or black locust and do as I suggested, and you will, in fact see which saw/chain setup has the real balls, in spades???? Not just in .005784th of a second either.

Since you live out west, I'll give you the long bars, full wraps and whatever else you want to cloak yourself in, but please don't bring pine of all things to the table as some sort of bada$$ wood product.

My opinion, you can have yours,

Sam

Hahahahaha. No need to tuck your tail Sam.
I'm not presenting Pine as a "bada$$ wood product". I know there are many woods that are much harder, but your earlier statement that a 455/359 could stay with an 088 (or whatever) is just assanine. If you're going to give advice, at least try to give good advice.

Is that all I have? Well since I'm not one of those big internet scrapper's, I guess so. I'm not trying to start an arguement, I'm just sweeping away the dust so everyone can see the Bull Shat.:laugh:

Andy

Slamm

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hahahahaha. No need to tuck your tail Sam.
I'm not presenting Pine as a "bada$$ wood product". I know there are many woods that are much harder, but your earlier statement that a 455/359 could stay with an 088 (or whatever) is just assanine. If you're going to give advice, at least try to give good advice.

Is that all I have? Well since I'm not one of those big internet scrapper's, I guess so. I'm not trying to start an arguement, I'm just sweeping away the dust so everyone can see the Bull Shat.:laugh:

Andy

As I have logged (literally) quite a few hours on 084, 066/660, 036 and 361. I can tell you with great certainy that a big slow turning 084/088/090 will not show impressive times for their size when compare to smaller lighter, higher revving saws (in small softwood).....why, rpms equal chain speed, and like I was explaining about using softwood to prove some "major" difference between two saws is almost pointless, fun yes, but pointless.

If you want to see which saw has some A$$ to it then put them in the same diameter hardwood, and whatever differences that were previously measured in nanoseconds will become very evident for all to see.

Please, tell me I am talking out of my rear, I think you don't know what you are talking about.

Sam

redprospector

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
As I have logged (literally) quite a few hours on 084, 066/660, 036 and 361. I can tell you with great certainy that a big slow turning 084/088/090 will not show impressive times for their size when compare to smaller lighter, higher revving saws (in small softwood).....why, rpms equal chain speed, and like I was explaining about using softwood to prove some "major" difference between two saws is almost pointless, fun yes, but pointless.

If you want to see which saw has some A$$ to it then put them in the same diameter hardwood, and whatever differences that were previously measured in nanoseconds will become very evident for all to see.

Please, tell me I am talking out of my rear, I think you don't know what you are talking about.

Sam

You're probably right. I don't have much experience running saws, I've only been logging for about 25 years, but I'm learning more from guy's like you every day. I think I'll get rid of my 3120 and go get me a Stihl ms250, shouldn't be much difference since I'm cutting Pine.:laugh:
You are right, rpm's = chain speed. But the saw has to have enough ball's to maintain that chain speed even in the lowely Pine.

Andy

Last edited:
outdoortype

outdoortype

ArboristSite Guru
Red I think he was joking/exagerating a bit.....

He wasn't giving bad advice regarding the handsaw and the 084 or whatever..just exaggerating to prove a point. But we all get a little touchy sometimes. I would like to see a stock test of the 455,460,359,5100s, 290,310 since they're all considered firewood saws that most of us can afford. My guess is the findings would be closer than what the specs say.

scotclayshooter

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
He wasn't giving bad advice regarding the handsaw and the 084 or whatever..just exaggerating to prove a point. But we all get a little touchy sometimes. I would like to see a stock test of the 455,460,359,5100s, 290,310 since they're all considered firewood saws that most of us can afford. My guess is the findings would be closer than what the specs say.

As far as handsaws go, Watch some of the vids of handsaws in action!
I saw a demo at a show and 2 guys on a handsaw beat a 460 by a fair margin in an equal bit of wood AWSOME!!!

berryman70

berryman70

ArboristSite Guru
Not downgrading the 455 but a muffler modded 359 tuned right, should out cut a 455 by a somewhat noticeable margin. As slamm said try it again in some harder wood like beech or hard maple & make at least 3 cuts & see what the results are.

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Everyone here somewhat likes the 359 but I have not been overly impressed with it, at least in stock form. People pay a lot for these saws and I think a saw should perform better than that out of the box for over $400