Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Simon, ever use any of those AM cylinders?:cheers:
Hey Dennis, I had a customer bring me an aftermarket top-end to put on a MS660 back in 2007. Made decent power but had 2 weird failures back to back. The wrist-pin boss area wore oval in 2 sets of pistons. It was like they were made out of ****** pewter or something. He switched back to OEM and all has been good since. It will take a lot to make me warm up to aftermarket components. Hope all is well in Chico:cheers:

Last edited:
I know it has been determined that simon only works on new saws, but im wondering if something has changed in this regard. I cannot get a hold of him on that number and his PM inbox is full and will not accept any more messages. Can someone get me in touch with him or maybe simon will chime in. I am interested in getting my 272xp worked over. I would love to bring him the saw personally also as I spend a few weeks a year on the west coast.

Thanks Alan

IDK...I'm a faller from the Island and I've never heard of this Simon guy?...LMAO . Simons a freaking legend among us WC fallers that go out and do the most dangerous job in North America.
With is advanced R&D he retired the 395 and it is now a dust collector. true!
I actually found this site way of google "Simionized saws".
I had just bought a Walkerized 372 then sold it to my falling partner for three hundred less because I just tried Simons 372 domer back in ' 07 then I order one immediately. The difference is going to be in the bigger wood minimum 20" full comp or 30" skip to separate his 372 from other reputable builders. There does that math work for ya Simon..lol
We've actually had to have saftey meatings about then and thats running a 34-36 " bar. Peace 《 》 out

Limiting yourself to just one fuel jug is really gambling. And ten liters sure isn't much for a full day in big timber. There are spills, punctures, and the very real possibility of needing more fuel than you've brought. Every faller I've worked with is careful to have enough fuel, in enough containers, to ensure that if something unplanned happens he'll be able to finish his day. I've never heard of intentionally limiting the availability of your fuel.

LOL...If you can build a faller's saw that will run hard for a faller's day on just 10 liters of fuel you might be on to something.

I'd be curious to know why a guy would limit himself on fuel. Is it a BC thing ?

I thought Simon was clear on this, it doesn't matter if its conventional or heli as we do have our spare saws and extra gas on the road of our falling quarter or heli pad in wc falling.
Sure you can get around it sometimes, like if the hill slops up from the road on conventional falling as you are starting by your cash and day end you will leave you saw on your falling face so the next day you haven an extra hand to carry ..problem solved in a perfect world. Even if the hill sloped the over way then we would start from the back of 'your' quarter. working from the low side to the high but keeping the high side safe.
If your saw burns too much then that first day and any day you have to pack your saw out for evening repair then your f* again
you will have to make two trips those days also.
again not the worsed case senirio as you not walking over your F & B (fall & buck) as well you would be on a safety trail you cut in but that still doesn't mean you aren't maneuvering around cliffs? Its all time and we are mainly competitive with each other to an extent. we work 6 1/2hours a day as thats all a production faller is allowed with a half hour lunch but I have rarely meet a faller that stops more than 10 Minutes, So 10 minute break in 7 hours.
Ok heli can be a total different animal, steeper which means more cliffs, sometimes we are just following the vains of merchantable timber vs heli cost (retention) heli = steep , packing in can be the hardest part of the job for some and you can be walking through a few other fallersF & B. You can spit down the hill and it could take you 10 minutes to get there (NOT exaggerating). Its just absolutely complete decimation.
As far as loosing, puncturing, burying your fuel? This is a high level of abillity job and is mentally exhausting you brain can not shut down for a split second and this is the reason he work 6 1/2 on the saw as physically demanding as it is, physical fatigue is not the reason. Complacency=death
A trainee wouldn't make the cut. (no pun intened) oooorr was it lol
As far as guys talking about every day saws that beat his saw in a 18" round? Thats not what his saw was built for.
my walkerized 357 may or may not beat his simonized 372 through a 6" or maybe 8" of wood but I would get laughed of the hill if I showed up with that 'fisher price' saw on the coast...lol
Basically there about burying a 36" bar and ....yeah
If the wood isn't there then you don't need that saw.
my point you can't compare certain saws in little wood
and form an opinion...its subjective
Rookieville:cool::eek:

there are a few of us on here that are far from being a rookie in being a faller. if you stick around a while you'll find out whom they are . gologits question was a valid one . no mater where you go there are local hero's that build a saw good. and most folks stick with the local hero because they don't know of others that build. or are blinded by rooting for the local hero. chill on some of the comments till you know. ...... and welcome to the site.

damn took me forever to type that one. lol..

damn took me forever to type that one. lol..
Lol ...For starters, I know the feeling oh so well.
I just hope there is no spelling/ grammer Nazi's here?
I would think not, I have every form of dyslexia ...numeral, directional and I've made a living for 25 years in the bush so there you go, I could probably make a living writing too?..lol

It's been my understanding that Simon uses a windowed piston in the 372. That makes a high revving saw......and it might get good fuel mileage, but his approach is a long, long ways away from the fastest, or strongest 372 that can be built.......
Yes friend... as "we" say looper or open skirt piston much like sthil pro saws that ' I'm familiar with' yeah its a wicked combo
but I would think it would be hard to beat with the lighter piston, custom dome...I believe it has a shorter skirt? and if you guys reply to me it would be nice if you could be more specific...again we are talking about a day in day out saw in big wood, I know Simon is not big on aftermarket stuff in our industry because he 'caters to an industry that doesn't take light to failure...we are a dam fickle bunch! aren't we, and when I said to one of the walkers.."I want a crazy saw" ,when I picked it up some years ago and he nonchalantly said "its garenteed".(I went to school with him, they made me some of the badest saws on the planet in the early 90s and i was mainly spacing( thinning )I'm talkin' 52mm 272 piston on on a 266 on a 16", display with no end and these guys won world comps, as senior told me, but that was when i was a kid .They know what they are doing for our application, for one, Simonized 372 doesn't make it a 'high revving saw' nor would that kind of set up with his 'max' touches be good on fuel,I can see the confusion here but in reality that saw is hard on fuel if your tuning for big wood, as we are (contradictory I know). I will say,when I was breaking that saw in and turned it up to where I thought it would get the max power on the lines of other saw; 'fourstroking' well hello,party time when I took it WAY higher, that thing just started eatin' .Whole different animal. Again YOU said we're talking 50mm here?
I have a great friend of almost 40yrs...yes sandbox buddies that has been building my saws for years Jonny's on the BCs lower mainland that plays around with crazy for me,after market nikasil. Sure I want it! ..I can have it! decked,domed,slamed n Bobs you FN uncle,BB kits with the same combo, sure whey not + + ...But there can be a price to be paid. and we aren't talkin' monetary in my case. I am both the student and the teacher...yeah I don't listen well.
Hats off to the pros cuz I'm addicted to 'speed' no pun intended...ooorrr was it...jk lol
I will respond to ever post directed, I have read most of the thread thus far and enjoyed It greatly.
the average guy can't take the chances I can as I'm savvy on the fixin' just a great wantabee, I can 'duplicate' some of there work in camp.

I have one of Simon's stihl jugs ,no dome on my piston ,it is windowed though ,it is not as powerful as Randy's jugs,but is no slouch either ,Simon's gets a little better fuel economy of the 2 ,you both build a good engine in my eyes ,just different

Popups, or domed pistons as you are calling them are long gone too.

It's time to move into the next century.....

Might need to skip a century with all the arsonist running around out West.

Methinks the majority of the saws with piston mod stihl run lol. As long as we can access Mahle cylinder and port timing numbers for the job in question, then you're OK. Peak for weeks, grenade for a day, lol.

Yes friend... as "we" say looper or open skirt piston much like sthil pro saws that ' I'm familiar with' yeah its a wicked combo
but I would think it would be hard to beat with the lighter piston, custom dome.....

The good thang about working pistons, is gains made which don't affect the plating. Also, I agree with much of what you've said.

I believe it has a shorter skirt?

Nothin' wrong with that. Owwwwww !!! (lol)

Popups, or domed pistons as you are calling them are long gone too.

It's time to move into the next century.....

We are only 14% into this century so what are you saying, The 90s just called and they want their domer back..lol
Please enlighten me ..my buddy has no 50mm or 52mm in stock and I need a saw comparable? ASAP I need an intro to the 21 century ..so far I see **** that I like.

srop_0811_09_z%2Bhemi_crate_engine%2Bpiston_dome.jpg

The site clowns are a little green, dude. (lol)

Think they spent the '70s under a rock sometime.

i have one of simons cylinders on my 460 ,here is my opinion for who care to listen ,if you want a good saw that has a good pull with a long bar you can lean on without bogging in the cut that you can use for work ,you will be happy having him do the work ,if you want something to post videos on forums to say you can cut a 12 inch cookie in 1.3 seconds maybe consider another builder,i also noticed better fuel economy with his work ,a guy that is making a living with his saw will take that into consideration .
Are you still running it?

We are only 14% into this century so what are you saying, The 90s just called and they want their domer back..lol
Please enlighten me ..my buddy has no 50mm or 52mm in stock and I need a saw comparable? ASAP I need an intro to the 21 century ..so far I see **** that I like.

If you like a light saw that pulls a 32 or 36 fine ,one of Randy's 461's will put a smile on your face

Latest posts

Back