Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
]
Lol ..I'd weigh in on that one...talking about weighting in!
I have em all on the ropes..lol
a couple more replys & points and I can call check mate jk

Westboastfaller. Yup. Most of the guys I know that work in the woods and are really good at what they do don't ever brag on themselves. They don't need to. Their work speaks for them.

Protagonist means, "main character" or hero". lol
Lol...well a good word and a properly used word as you and I follow the manufacter, thus putting the onus
on the people that have gone outside the manufactures spec's. Its definitely a two part question as it was said this thread isn't about stock saws which nullifies that statement. which is true,I agree. I do keep mentioning the manufacturer, as its now a two part discussion,being "the guys that use a quality oil on stock and quality oil on hot work saws".
I didn't deviate from the manufacers specs for mods Because
I wasn't ever told to by World champion builder Don sr. & sons (Walkers) or Simon or John Rutherford, my best Friend for 40 yrs that builds my saws mainly since 2008.
I have pro time starting back to '89 on a 2101(dry sort bucker) and mod saws from '92 to present and until hearing from brad & randy, I have only been instructed to use quality oil (not more) from the day I dropped three saws off at walker to get ported and my new one was seized. Not to say they all might
not tell a different story if I pick there brains on the subject.
-Having said that, bushape 'we' can go to a protagonists to an antagonist in one word, I personally want to here from the builders even more so than the operaters (both very valid)
and when **** is slinging most adults stay away.
You did throw the first stone the other day...at least in my eyes as this has been the only thread I'm watching thus far.
so yes antagonizing your adversaries kills it for everyone.
There was also other unwarented posts from a few others
One seemed directed at me generalizing me with 'know it all' New commers of the past.That post was actually endorsed by 3-4 members and was as contradictory as hell.
As he started to protray an individual that would take a higher
road then threw his own digs in. It was not relivant to the discussion and also inacuate, if infact I was generalized. I'm extremely interested in peoples findings/thoughts and how they came about.
Despite 25 yrs of pro use and no out of the ordinary bottom end problems I am still open for knowledge.
As I was told in '89;
"at least hear someone out then you can decide".
I am far from a closed minded guy.
rant over...sorry about long posts..I will work on that.
back on topic...
Peace out

Just so you know jamie. Donny and JW are recommending 32:1 these days. Those guys are the only dealer i deal with. Whenever i go into their shop they welcome me into the back for a coffee and a ********. To tell you the truth, if a dealer had a price on a saw and walkers was $100 more i'd still go with walkers to support them. Gotta be the best dealer on the coast. If i tell them a price from another dealer they always beat it though.

Just so you know jamie. Donny and JW are recommending 32:1 these days. Those guys are the only dealer i deal with. Whenever i go into their shop they welcome me into the back for a coffee and a ********. To tell you the truth, if a dealer had a price on a saw and walkers was $100 more i'd still go with walkers to support them. Gotta be the best dealer on the coast. If i tell them a price from another dealer they always beat it though.
They were great to me too. I got my 550XP from them. I phoned around all over, and they were within $20 of anyone in the province, and threw in an extra chain. They are a great shop to deal with, and I am always glad to support the local shop.

On the oil thread input of this thread ,i have gotten a few 440 stihls from pro fallers with bad cranks or main bearings ,they were run stihl mix 50 to 1 for a year or 2 with no problems ,till the bearings failed ,i fixed the saws ,i will note the lower end bearings were a lot dryer and sootier than my saws i have torn down , i run 32 to 1 ,i tore down one of my 440 saws to change the crank style ,the lower end had a generous coat of oil on everything ,and the bearings were cleaner ,maybe the extra oil softens up any carbon deposits ,i do not know for sure ,maybe someone can chime in on that part ,i do not have any problem with smokey exhaust like some think they get with a richer mixture ,i think that is more where the H needle is set more than anything

]

Westboastfaller. Yup. Most of the guys I know that work in the woods and are really good at what they do don't ever brag on themselves. They don't need to. Their work speaks for them.
Idin that a fact!
Oh goligit, your still not sore from the other day are ya?lol
I know you have a world of great knowledge and could teach me a lot I'm sure. I read a little on "help! Logger wants to cut down my trees" thread and you have a wealth of knowledge I don't, that was very apparent to me.
It really didn't seen you were to concerned about the comment
as a whole,. You know who you are as I know how I am.
Having said that if you were 'well versed' in Pacific Northwest heli 'retention falling ' then you would have understood fuel capacities. I guess for the doubtful, it came back to bite em in the butt that time. I will say I will no way think something can't be because I haven't heard of it in areas IDK. and yes if you lost 'your' gas through a big hole or off a cliff ect, and didn't have a back up at the pad, then the heli can drop you some but that's one expensive can of gas.

Please revert to my third post? in regards to dyslexia
well I can shrug off someone that says I haven't a clue WTF
I'm talking about but don't you think highlighing someones
disabilities is a little below the belt...shame on you.
ok I won't keep y'all guessin', the user name is in jest
much like the on line persona that likes to joke a lot.
but the man in the boots is far from a joke & learns everyday.
Most fallers have swagger but having a big chip is looked down opon these days and I've heard it said more and more
"ANY attitudes and you'll be on the next floatplane out!

as a whole,. You know who you are as I know how I am.

Yeah but who are you callin' an as a whole.

lol. I'm as friendly as they get, dude. I always take responsibility for my part. Sometime I think the only reason SS keeps me around is the tendency for the clown act to coalesce wherever I'm at. It makes for easy baby sitting. ROFL. I don't employ smiley's because I'm almost always full of ****. Most guys know it too.

I'll take the high road from now on as somebody on this forum finally set a fine example. Thanks friend.

Hey Randy I started a thread on tuning my 2188, mind having a looksie and giving me your 2 cents. Oh and I run all my saws a little on the rich side at about 40:1, just comes naturally to me, the wetter and greasier the better, just
Iike sex.

@Westboastfaller if you read the owners manual of most pro saws It will say to run their brand oil at 50:1 and ANY other premium air cooled 2t oil ar 25:1

No where does it mention retuning to suit 25:1

And this has nothing to do with Australian conditions, it is standard print in most operating manuals.

Now tell me how closely you follow the manufacturers specs....

I have 50 pounds of blown cranks. Quite a few are from 372s and 385s. All came from fallers I've worked with over the years who rigidly adhered to 50:1. In the 15 years I was in the brush; I ran 371s, 372s, 385s, 288s, 394s, 046/460s, 044/440s, and 066s. I ran 32:1 all that time and never lost a crank. It was just what worked for me.

You know...if you hadn't handed Beeker his walking papers you wouldn't need all them numbers to establish your street cred.

Just sayin'...

Jamie, I've explained myself so many times that after a while it begins to seem pointless. And in most cases the person on the other end has made up their mind and won't be reasoned with. Also, I really can't stand that Brush Ape. He's just a troll that should be banned from this site......and has before. Him being in this thread makes me not want to have any sort of discussion.....but I will try to share my thoughts on the matter.

I've been around performance engines my whole life, but two-strokes are relatively new to me actually.......

As engine builders, we add more compression, optimize port timing, streamline flow, etc. All this does is increase the pressure in the combustion chamber. A bigger bang, and more force is transmitted to the bearings. As you know, at higher ratios there is less oil in the mix, less oil for the bearings that we are now adding more stress to.

I don't worry about scoring pistons @ 50:1......it's the bearings that I'm concerned with.

Like JJ said......50:1 kills crankshafts.

Also, higher oil ratios promote better sealing at the rings. Better seal = more power.

Thanks Randy! Points taken on all fronts
Again I am not a closed minded individual and have no intentions of dismissing anyones claims of knowledge in research or trends noted over the years weather that been mechanical, saw hours in various activities or combined.
I get that,the bigger the charge the bigger disturbance (shock)
I do like what you are saying about the ring seale and that makes sense to me, possibly lose some response but add power? anyone have any dyno readings? May be a miniscule difference on a freshly broke in ring? But prehaps if that 50/1 got really hot a few times then I would think over time it could be significant.
the number on a dyno would be interesting. I know when we put the head on with 2 stroke oil the extra oil makes it feel like a ton of compression but thats not a very accurate comparison but the principals the same.
So a little more would make sense for seale

Its was mentioned by many that even at 32/1 with guys claim no carbon build ups
with properly adjusted saws.
It was mentioned by one that it wasn't a noticeable differences in exhaust?
Thats a huge factor for me,(which is not the topic I know) I run my saws on edge with good oil I tweek them to where its smooth for limbing and any time someone double doses a gas jug or puts extra I get exhausted out. Often on one side your reaching up cutting over your head or head level and in winter I work in the snow in the north and thats the worst, it just holds everything down. What one person isn't botherd by,the next person cant deal with it. A rough saw and a 'smokey' saw are two thing for me that I can't deal with and many aren't bothered by it, care, or know better.
With all brought forth its pretty dam convincing I'm sure if I was running bigger done up saws, milling like westcoaster90 then I probably wouldn't hesitate.
I personally don't have problems with mid size engines and I run em hard.Its all the other things that go and so goes the saw, as I don't chase good money after bad.
possible small gain in power, I always welcome, but smoke is a deal breaker for me.
well that was pretty satisfying! a quarter of a century and people bring stuff to the table
Thanx to all
think Simons thread got ambushed :chop:

I am taking stick figure art classes on another site,and have a great teacher ,the English may be too much for me at this time,good thing this site underlines my misspelled words to help out
You know...if you hadn't handed Beeker his walking papers you wouldn't need all them numbers to establish your street cred.

Just sayin'...

Latest posts

Back