spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!
aaf_shock.gif

Hmmm...Was there a ground crew? Were the "they" the owners? Is Florida 16 genuine or a troll? Does Butch wear silk underwear? How many of us have walked from a job-2 miles? Would experience have prevented all these problems for Fl 16? Why wasn't dad on site? Is Erik married or living in sin?-Or both?

Originally posted by Stumper
Hmmm...Was there a ground crew? Were the "they" the owners? Is Florida 16 genuine or a troll? Does Butch wear silk underwear? How many of us have walked from a job-2 miles? Would experience have prevented all these problems for Fl 16? Why wasn't dad on site? Is Erik married or living in sin?-Or both?

Yes, there was a ground crew if that's what u want to call it, there was only 2 people , me and a friend, I said I would climb it and remove it for $200.oo and that I was only working outside of a company (no lisence or insurance) because he was a friend. I didn't trust him on the ground because i roped out a log before i got to the top to see if he was good at roping. He sucked, he didn't let the log drop any when I cut it and it almost came back and hit me. Thats why I didn't trust him 20 more feet up to help do the top of it, because he is inexperienced. If you are refering to me as a "Troll" which I'm guessing is a fake, your way wrong. I wanted to come to this forum because the people here seem like experts and I am only trying to learn as much as I can because I care very much for my job. I love to climb, I love to wake up in the morning and look forward to work, unlike most people in America who hate there jobs, I actually love mine and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about trees. Even when I am not at work I look at trees EVERYWHERE I am and try to plan/picture the way I would go about removing the tree or roping limbs out.
If the owner of the tree and the inexperienced groundcrew man was trying to tell you 10000000 different ways to do something they have never done before, you would get aggrevated also. I walked 2 miles because I called my dad from a general store and he was up the road about 5 miles and I didn't want the guy I was helping do the tree for to find me at the store, so I began to walk 5 miles to where my dad was to get a ride home, he met me at 2 , I would have walked 5 because I was so imbarrassed that I failed at something I knew so well that I would be able to do that I didn't want my friend to even see me , I never want to see him again, I not only let him down but I let myself down as well.
As for experience preventing my problems, I don't know, you tell me I have been climbing for 2 years and have experience, I see now that I just might not have the experience I need yet to be 50' up roping limbs out over a house, if it was in the middle of a field it would be alot different because I wouldn't have to worry about hitting anything. I have learned alot today, knowing how to get up a tree is one thing, knowing what to do once your up there is a whole nother ball game.
My dad wasn't on the site because he has been working with me long enough to know that I won't climb or do anything in a tree that I don't feel safe or comfortable doing. Would it have mattered one way or another whether or not i did what I did today if he was there or not? Absolutely not, because I won't climb/cut anything I don't feel comfortable doing. So I hope that answered all of your questions above about me and anytime you feel like questioning my performance or my actions again, I'll readily be able to answer them, I'm no "Troll" I actually DO climb....

Hey Chad, you just keep on keeping on. What ya got today was a taste of the BS that goes hand in hand with doing what ya love.

MasterBlaster here, and I got yur back!
aaf_shifty.gif

Think of a troll as a person who (often under a false identity) posts solely in order to incite knee-jerk responses.  Since you're new here, and are seemingly quite good at posting exactly the type of stuff which causes people to react in the manner they do to trolls, it's not difficult for us to wonder about you and your motives.

I"m not accusing you of any trickery but I haven't exactly ruled it out yet, either.

Where I live, one doesn't need a license to do contract work so long as they aren't selling things for which they should be collecting sales tax.  There is no tax on service work, so taking a tree down would not require a license.  I'm not entirely sure that insurance is a legal obligation either, but that question should never arise; it's just plain foolish if not merely way too risky to put your future on the line like that for a couple bucks.

Some people may think you're here trolling because some of the stuff you're asking about is stuff that someone who's done the work for two years already should be acquainted with.  I'm not saying "know everything about it", but "should have seen it at least once"..

If you don't know enough about "roping out a log" to instruct someone how you'd like them to do it, it would probably be a good idea to work on that a bit first with them while close to the ground, don't ya think?

If your friend was counting on you then you've let them down.  If a cut you made caused any damage you should make arrangements with them to at least help pay it.  It doesn't matter if they told you to do something you knew you shouldn't.  That argument didn't work at Nuremberg either.  You are responsible for your actions.

Glen

Originally posted by glens
Think of a troll as a person who (often under a false identity) posts solely in order to incite knee-jerk responses.  Since you're new here, and are seemingly quite good at posting exactly the type of stuff which causes people to react in the manner they do to trolls, it's not difficult for us to wonder about you and your motives.

I"m not accusing you of any trickery but I haven't exactly ruled it out yet, either.

Where I live, one doesn't need a license to do contract work so long as they aren't selling things for which they should be collecting sales tax.  There is no tax on service work, so taking a tree down would not require a license.  I'm not entirely sure that insurance is a legal obligation either, but that question should never arise; it's just plain foolish if not merely way too risky to put your future on the line like that for a couple bucks.

Some people may think you're here trolling because some of the stuff you're asking about is stuff that someone who's done the work for two years already should be acquainted with.  I'm not saying "know everything about it", but "should have seen it at least once"..

If you don't know enough about "roping out a log" to instruct someone how you'd like them to do it, it would probably be a good idea to work on that a bit first with them while close to the ground, don't ya think?

If your friend was counting on you then you've let them down.  If a cut you made caused any damage you should make arrangements with them to at least help pay it.  It doesn't matter if they told you to do something you knew you shouldn't.  That argument didn't work at Nuremberg either.  You are responsible for your actions.

Glen

I like I said, the only equipment I have used is a saddle,spikes,climbing rope and a chainsaw up in the tree, so all this other stuff is new to me, I was taught that's all I need in a tree. I guess once I learn it all, I will be able to teach the boy that taught me huh? Also I DID instruct the groundie how to do it, he's just to bullheaded to listen I guess, he's the type that thinks he "knows-it-all".

Chill your jets young dude; take it all in; don't miss nothing.

Even if ya can't digest it now, capture it; cuz in 1,2,5 years or so; the pattern of things will start to and continue to make sense.

The collective experience, what happenned right every time; old words that ring true to what you saw etc. Pictures and memories in head that make it all make sense as the pattern becomes apparent. If anyone could do it, it'd be easy.

[Man:] I'm more than that, I know I am, at least, I think I must be.

[Inner Man:] There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles, And piles, Of trials
With smiles.
It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And (to) keep on thinking free.

From the mystifying melodies and the haunting lyrics of -The Moody Blues

Hehe, I went to Vermeer today and spent like $500.oo on new equipment. I got 3 T-Shirts, 6 ball lock Petzl carabiners, 6 webbing slings, 1 plastic wedge, 1 4 lb metal wedge, a thing called a Zubat knife-thingy, a new saddle, new gaffs for my spikes and ordered some Geckos two climber.

Man, the Gecko Two climbers are bad-to-the-bone! Also that Zubat knife thing is RAZOR sharp and looked nice to have in a tree to cut small limbs in your way.

P.S. I also got that "The Tree Climber's Companion", you guys were right this book has it all!!!!!!!!

How much?

Originally posted by Florida16
Hehe, I went to Vermeer today and spent like $500.oo on new equipment. I got 3 T-Shirts, 6 ball lock Petzl carabiners, 6 webbing slings, 1 plastic wedge, 1 4 lb metal wedge, a thing called a Zubat knife-thingy, a new saddle, new gaffs for my spikes and ordered some Geckos two climber.

Man, the Gecko Two climbers are bad-to-the-bone! Also that Zubat knife thing is RAZOR sharp and looked nice to have in a tree to cut small limbs in your way.

P.S. I also got that "The Tree Climber's Companion", you guys were right this book has it all!!!!!!!!

Morning Chad, Could you break down those prices for me?

And what sort of saddle?

Just to put you in OUR shoes for a minute.

All prices/guesses in AU$

Navaho boss C90 640.00
T2's w/chinch $1515.00
020 (MS200T) $1505.00
Petzl Gemmini P66 $168.00
Ball lock M18 $34.00
Rope starts from $10.00 per metre!

Sound like $500.00 US goes an awfull long way over there!

Whats on the T shirts?....Thanx Derek..

Ps Replacement gaffs 3' $90.00... Did ya get pole spikes to start with?
do you need to replace them allready?

Sure Butch, NEXT TIME FOR SURE!

I was stressed/pushed for time when all ma gear got pinched, dident think i had the time to wait on postage and customs..

Turns out I had plenty of time...

I'll have a new Sherrills catolog comming soon (thanx Sean),

Aussie and I might combine postage on some things?

I'll prefer the wait to the exorbortant prices!

BTW, no good for me but Chad Might want to have a look...
2 hours to go on these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3849513866&ssPageName=ADME:B:WN:US:1

Think they say "Buckingham" on them?

i'd just have gotten 1 or 2 ball locks, maybe a few of other designs for rigging, speedline etc.

These aren't nice light aluminum, but have been very good. The steel makes for better throws etc. The gate doesn't have to be unlocked. In locking you don't have to screw in/out so much, if you learn to roll on the length of hand in smooth motion trying to open or close in 1 motion.

Back