spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know the the truth is, if trimming you should never even climb a tree if you are conserned , you will be stressing bark and branches also you will likely cut more than needed . Use a lift . Lifts are made small enough now that you can even get them in the back yard via the gate . This along with pole pruners a good tree trimmer doesnt even have to touch the tree in most cases

here it is.

Hello, I have red this whole thread and as my first day of being on the forums, i would like to introduce myself.
I am 16 years old, live in central Florida, and have been climbing for 2 years, I first got intrested in climbing when i was in 8th grade, I got kicked out of school and decided i didn't want to go back, so I got asked to work for a friend one day who is a climber, i was dragging climbs and watching him climb at the same time, it just seemed so interesting, so after about 6 months i decided to start, I knew alot of my cuts on the ground so i got him to teach me how to climb (he uses spikes). I spent a year learning from him and then went on my own, I'm not that great yet but am learning everyday, infacxt I just trimmed up 25 cabbage palms today and cut down a tree leaning far over a apartment yesterday, I use spikes and after reading this forum , never knew there was any other way of doing it, now after reading I can understand a little more of why not to use them , but I have a few questions, there is alot of times when i cant get my trowball into a limb because of all the deadwood in it or its really thick inside and cant get ANY clear shots at a good limb, how would I go about getting up it? Any information you could give would be appreciated because im only into this 2 years and love every moment of it. I'm always watching other climbs to see how they climb differently then me and learn new things every day. TY for taking the time to read this and please reply.

Hmmmm.....

There seems to be a trend with all of these young "climbers."

Well Florida 16 welcome aboard, and remember that education is a good thing, don't discount it.

Welcome FL16, Go back to school (night school or something is cool but get that stupid High School diploma). When you can't get your throwball where you want it.... Use a BigShot or set a ladder and then go up via a secured free climb. Use a Big Shot. Set a line where you can with a polesaw or by throwing, then advance your line once you are in the tree until you get to the prime tie in point. Use a BigShot.

BTW did I mention using a BigShot.:D

I'm not worried about school right now, I will get my G.E.D. when I turn 18, and maybe goto college, but for right now I want to learn everything I can about tree work because it's what I want to do for the rest of my life...

Trust me friend, somedays tree work is not the greatest gig in town. I have a good friend that is 53 and climbs everyday; not because he wants to, he has to in order to survive. The man doesn't even have a H.S. Diploma, and struggles to make ends meet.

No, I can't work inside an office, or inside a building for that matter. (8-10 hours inside any building other than sleeping and I go crazy, no matter how old I get) So that narrows it down to outside work (duh) and I don't like or everr WILL like , roofing, framing, asphalt , construction, locating, mechanics so I'm pretty much gonna be a tree climber....

Some High Schools even have a horticulture or arboriculture program to get you started.

Netree, I do not think this kid can live up to be worthy enough to be called an Arborist.

Originally posted by netree
What decent college will accept you with just a GED?

Also, there's more to tree work than simply climbing up and cutting stuff. To be good at it, you have to be educated.

Ask and we will teach, but give a return to school some serious consideration.

I haven't ruled it out, but I won't EVER go back to a real school, the most I want is a G.E.D. Anyways, I'm here to learn EVERYTHING I can about climbing, so where should I start, oh yeah, whats the basic equipment you need to have to climb w/o spikes?

Also do you think I should still climb with spikes for a while until I get the true feeling for - walking limbs, my cuts, felling, roping techniques, and proper hinges?

Also what knot do you all use for repelling? I have a pretty good one but it sometimes tightens up when I use it for a good while and have to lossen it back up again.

let me correct myself, my dad started a tree business for me, because he's 45 and is gonna be retiring soon, so in about 5 years the whole business will be mine, he started it 2 years ago when i started climbing. We are doing well, we have a bobcat,F350 Diesel 4x4 flatbed with a gooseneck hitch, 3 trailers (none are dump trailers though >8( ) 3 climbing echo saws - 2 cs 300's and 1 sc340, husqvarna with 36 inch blade, climbing saddle and tree spikes , 1 bull rope, and 3 climbing ropes. Thats why I want to be the best I can be so when I own the company I will have everything set.

Originally posted by Florida16
let me correct myself, my dad started a tree business for me, because he's 45 and is gonna be retiring soon, so in about 5 years the whole business will be mine, he started it 2 years ago when i started climbing. We are doing well, we have a bobcat,F350 Diesel 4x4 flatbed with a gooseneck hitch, 3 trailers (none are dump trailers though >8( ) 3 climbing echo saws - 2 cs 300's and 1 sc340, husqvarna with 36 inch blade, climbing saddle and tree spikes , 1 bull rope, and 3 climbing ropes. Thats why I want to be the best I can be so when I own the company I will have everything set.

Haha!!! Rock and roll, little brother! But, CYA!!!

And get Pops up on in here. ;)

Firecracker thread with the tension I was hoping for. :p

If you can sit on your computer and type away for hours, you can handle sitting in school. I went back for the girls, you can go back for that and a diploma.

I'll provide the regular recommendation: buy the Tree Climber's Companion, Second Edition, by Jeff Jepson and illustrated by Bryan Kotwica. $15 well spent.

You can buy it at www.wtsherrill.com

Item: 16217
Description: Tree Climbers Companion/2nd Edition / Jeff Jepson
This compact field reference and training manual for tree climbers is the ideal partner for all tree workers. Thanks to the illustrative talents of Illinois certified arborist Bryan Kotwika, writer Jeff Jepson is able to provide you, the reader, with easy to understand and applicable techniques. This 104 page book includes specific information on several climbing techniques, throwbag use, a variety of knots and hitches, tricks of the trade, use of friction savers, rope care, ascenders and more. Over 200 easy-to-follow illustrations expand comprehension.

Latest posts

Back