spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPS, I hashed out topping already, but I'd be up for it anytime.

But you agree with me on the principle I'm trying to make, though. And I think it's reasonable. This winter, I saved a tree by cutting out the neighboring tree that had fallen into it. To cut out the hangers, I had to spike because there was no bucket access (plus I don't have a bucket truck at school) and because there were no other tie-in points.

I'm not arguing that wounding is good for trees. You all know that. I'm saying we have to take the science we know and the science we don't with the present circumstances we face and make an intelligent decision. Hard and fast rules should be questioned.

And Shigo? And my age? And my posts? And my personality? Welcome to my ignore list. You've got lots of great company.

Right, but my posts were focusing on the those occasions that do not fall under almost always.

Curious how some people want real world experience, others want peer-reviewed articles, and still others just want to push people's buttons. I think the best is to package research with application and present it in an audience-driven way. Too bad there are 4+ primary audiences on this site. Reminds me of my favorite game show, You Can't Win.

:) I'm out for a Patriot Act Debate between the ACLU and the Feds.

Originally posted by Nickrosis

Curious how some people want real world experience, others want peer-reviewed articles,

I'd want the peer reveiw by experianced people, there are many experianced people in acedimia.

Originally posted by Nickrosis

And Shigo? And my age? And my posts? And my personality? Welcome to my ignore list. You've got lots of great company.

Break my ????ing heart.

:laugh:

Hey all right! :blob2: just when I thought nobody cared about my thread anymore, I get another whole page. Thanks for all advice, thats all I wanted out of this, not to start WWIII. Far be it from me to bash a CA, but you gotta cool it with the veteran climbers Nickrosis. If you're nice to them maybe they can teach ya something you won't learn in a book. No offense, but at 22yrs old, you don't know it all bud. Anyways, I still ain't done a spikeless trim yet, gotta get off my butt and order some high speed gizmos from Sherrill. :)

I Am with JPS on this one...
I can vaguely remember one or two trees that wouyld have needed gaffs to prune in 20 years of treework and plenty of storm work... And that thick bark argument ... a bunch of hu-ha...
Even if the bark is plenty thick on the trunk, by the time you get to the pruning cuts, it ain't that think anymore..

And that "there are no TIPs" excuse is primarily used by those that lack the climbing skills to get where the cuts are.. I'd rather leave a bunch of broken up hangers than spike a tree... I won't say that I Am a great tree climber by any means, but I'll use someone like Big Jon before I'll ever spike a prune..
the only tree that I ever spiked that is still alive is a big Chinese Elm that was supposed to be a removal... I got the top out and the customer came and told me she changed her mind and that I should leave the tree. So that tree got spiked and topped.
I told her not to tell anybody I did the work.. Well surprisingly enough... that was back in the late 80's and the tree has had zero maintenance since then and it looks pretty good today...

Gee Murph, sounds like that's what she wanted to begin with??

Jonny,

Dr. Shigo is indeed an excellent tree biologist. However much he's considered the foremost authority (arguably by some), that don't change the fact that he's never worked as a climber that I can find any reference of- even in his own profile.

Higher education without experience is useless. I can sit here and quote medical texts all day long... doesn't make me an MD, does it?

Some kids think they know everything. That's alright- I was young, dumb, and in college once too.

Originally posted by JonnyHart
Far be it from me to bash a CA, but you gotta cool it with the veteran climbers Nickrosis. If you're nice to them maybe they can teach ya something you won't learn in a book. No offense, but at 22yrs old, you don't know it all bud.
I far from know it all. But I do enjoy learning.

If you look back, I offered an opinion and ended up getting bashed back. I'm relaxed now because I can't see anything that people on my ignore list write.

About book learning, I don't read books. I get most of my information from talking to respectable professionals in the industry like Shigo, Dunlap, Chisholm, Phillips, Blair, Noonan, Miller and others. These people have years of experience, and I trust what they have to say. At the same time, they will tell you to test what you hear. Shigo often prefaces his talks by saying "don't believe anything I tell" and encourages you to try it out before you believe it. That's wisdom.

I respect people who count experience in years spent learning, not years spent doing.

Good debate, I'm really gald folks like Nick is around. I need to learn to speak in his tounge and JPS, and NEtree's with MB's vision And it is a different language. It is my purpose here to not only learn some better skills but to learn how to educate a large populous about trees. To represent trees to a greater audience than joe home owner alone. I think we should all be working for tree ordinances in our respective townships. Who better to represent than us. Its only political if you let it be. And to do that we MUST speak a tree language even thou it is just being developed. It is all we have we must influence it we must have our say in what is taught for generations to come. This is why we're all here.
Fire up that phatty MB:blob2:

Wasn't there, didn't do it!

aaf_shifty.gif

Xtreme, I CANNOT work FOR tree ordinances. I believe deeply in individual freedom. Tree ordinances-no matter how well intentioned or well formulated are inherently at odds with freedom (Okay-I have no gripe with an ordinance against defacing public trees but anything intended to mandate what happens on private property is repugnant).:(

I don't speak Nick's language either...
What did Rocky say jokingly a year or so ago....
"better go to the ISA for that answer... we're just a bunch of dumb tree cutters"...
Funny but true... then along comes a twenty something kid who has done his homework... spouting this and that book knowledge info... It's easy to pass him off as just a bookworm... but maybe a few including me must realize how little knowledge of tree biology we posses... enough on the job experience to do takedowns that few people on the planet would probably attempt... and that may be fine... but it is a limmitted world, and career...

I think Carl's gonna be the next big thing... jes let him simmer for a decade or so...

:)

Iffen he don't cut his hand off with his Silky!;)

Latest posts

Back