spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps I should change my profile. I am not certified in anything (except E.M.T., and there is no money there, but it can help in case of an accident, God forbid), so maybe I am not an arborist. I welcome all scrutiny, and hope all who offer it can point me in the right dirrection. I learned how to climb with spikes, and thats what I know, and I am sorry for being ignorant of other ways, I wish to learn. I love to make a client happy. I am always proud of my trimming work. I always enjoy turning a nasty, hairy tree in a beautiful piece of vertical landscape, and would enjoy it more if my tree didn't have little gaff wounds all over it. Thanx for all replys, advice, and scrutiny. Be safe!

Hey Jonny, your going to like it here and there are some great arborists not too far from you and we can show you the equipment to get the job done in person if time allows. I had my crew down your way not too long ago, perhaps we will be again some time this summer.
Rob.

Thank you for a warm welcome to your site. You are all very supportive, and skilled. Many of you are hard at work all day, and then use your own time to be on an arborist site, and let me tell you, I share your passion. Silverblue, where can I learn new skills close to home? I have been thinking about trying to relocate down south, or maybe with applying with a big tree service( asplundh, lewis, davey), but my dream is to own my own company, and I won't "fly by night" my way to get there. I know you could get away with that years ago, but not now. Am I getting far away from the subject? thanx for replys.

I don’t think you will get far with the bigger companies especially if you want to learn and use the methods that the top pros use here. Stick around and keep asking questions, I will have to get you in touch with some of the locals worth working for. And make sure to order a copy of the new Sherrill catalog.

Thank you for any help. I am way past my bed time, gotta meet the boss at 8:00 for a few Norway Maple trims. Maybe I'll try them with out spikes, after all, I get paid by the hour. Good night and God bless. Be safe.
oh yeah, got the new sherrill cat. today, love it but don't get that other bowline.

Jonny, Welcome! That Sherrill catalog will have a lot of helpful illustrations. Buy a copy of The Tree Climber's Companion. That little book shows how to use lots of progressive techniques! As Rb said:-tcheck out the search function on this site. A shotbag and line will really helpfor accessing the trees(and using a ladder to get up[ into the canopy often makes sense) Learning to foot lock would be great but for those of us who struggle with it there is a nifty little device called a Pantin that mkes climbing our rope a breeze. You'll find that walking the limbs is a lot EASIER without gaffs strapped to your feet.

Best wishes,:)

Originally posted by netree
Didn't take it as sounding cocky. However, you wrote "arborist" in your profile. That opens you up to scrutiny, at least.

Welcome to the site where the elite hang out. Don't be afraid to be humbled or be taken aback. Alot of new people (who thought they knew alot) are bewildered at just how much more there was to learn. Myself included.

ive been felling trees since i was 16 and have been a qualified arborist and tree service owner for 15 years..and ive been on lots of short courses all tree related..but ive been using this site for a few months and have learnt a heck of a lot more ..anyway back to your thread spikeing is definatly a no go for plenty of good reasons..try takeing your throwline up with you on them big maples...use a pole saw if you have too more importantly try and talk the boss round too working the modern way a bit slower but a lot better for the tree...ive learnt over the years the better you are at your job the more $$$$ you can earn..i pay top doller for good pruners

Johnny welcome,
I had a real tuff time during my 4th year in the trees.
It was weird, every tree I came to made me shake with fear.
I'd stand back and figure out 100 different ways I was going do it and would get to the point of backing out.
I thought seriously about changing occupations.
Of course, I was working with my first Certified Arborist company.!!!

Looking back I think it took 4 years as a production climber to be prepared for what the CA's were cutting and how they were climbing.

If your not working for yourself, find a CA company and hang out for at least a year.
Now, the only thing that shakes is the sawdust falling to the ground...heh

Yeah, I haver never worked for a Certified Arborist company, and I think it's about time. Come to think of it I don't think I ever met a Certified Arborist, maybe a dozen climbers, but no CA. I don't really shake with fear, well maybe on a very big, very dead poplar or willow. or if its really windy. I don't ever want to change occupations, just get a new boss. I work for three companys currently, but two of them just call me for trees that they don't want to climb. I don't think there are any CA companys in my area. I think I know just about everyone in the phonebook. I should try to get cert. myself and try to run my own buisiness.I got a pickup, climbing saw, stihl039, climbing and rigging gear. Don't know what I'm looking at for insurance. Isn't it funny how as a thread goes on the subject gets changed. :)

Hey John,welcome to the site. Do you use a pole pruner? I use a pruner quite often to set my rope higher tham me in a tree.Climb up, body thrust up, then reset your rope till you get to a good tie in point to do the whole tree.Working for one of the big companies is a mixed idea.If you get in with the right group of trimmers it can be great experience, learning all kinds of techniques. You will gain lots of knowledge of power wires, learn how to tell what is a phone wire, cable tv wire, service drops etc. Around here Asplundh has around 8 crews at each pull-out. So you can get the experience of 8 different foreman, learning ways of doing things from each boss you will have.I have been very fortunate for all my teachers, but I am learning not all areas are as good as where I am. Asplundh (in my area) does not like to see all the new style climbing gear and gadgets hanging froim their men. They like things simple and basic. Good luck!

Whattt!!
A 3 sectional jameson pole redirect!!!!
You can smoke with tree spikeless with it.
Push the rope out 20 + feet and pull it back to you, tie in and your swinging dude.
After months of only this technique you will know the way of "Repulse the Monkey"

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I found myself not wanting to climb as much when I had a polesaw, I'd sit in the middle of the tree and wave the polesaw around instead of working the tree right.

Yeah, I've seen a few climbers that like to do that... hang out in the bowl, and make bad cuts.

Its really easier to just get out there and make the cut. I use the pole saw for the tippy-tip stuff, if the job is priced thataway! ;)

And the MISTLETOE!!!:angry:

Ive found that I did not like the cuts made with a pole saw. They werent flush at all. Often I left over 2 inch stubbs because of the position I would be in. With the 3 sec. jamesons.

How do you pull that monkey fist back to you MB?, Im speaking laterally of course.

My first time without spikes: After 1 hr of bigshoting a tree with a 3 section we set a rope. I Mar-bared up 125 feet, took a look at the traversing (3 redirects) for 3 dead limbs 60 feet straight across the crown, got squirmish and squirlled down. It was my first time at 125 feet with no spikes. I crawldaddyed down like the coward I was. It was the only tree in my career I didnt do. It took the CA 2 hrs to make them 3 cuts at 125ftup.

Originally posted by xtremetrees

How do you pull that monkey fist back to you MB?, Im speaking laterally of course.

If by 'laterally' you mean when the rope is horoziontal to me, but 10, 15 feet out away from me, I take up a big bight of my tail, whup it around and catch the fist/line, and pull it to me.

Wuz that it?:confused:

Yep that'll werk everytime.
I've seen it done twice, the same dude (that did the move) would stand around on the ground during his smoke break or other free time and make monkey fist and trow them up constantly. He was always throwing that monkey fist on the ground. He was the fastest man in town to. No kidding.

I can tell I am going to enjoy this site! thanx for all replys. I don't want to spend my days clearing the power lines so if thats what the big companies offer I'll pass. I think Lewis does commerial and residential. I do plenty of work around the primary wire, and other wires, I just don't want to do it permenantly. I haven't take a polesaw with me in a tree much, sounds like it would take some getting used to. I use the monkey fist often, but just learned it from a climber a year and a half ago. If too far away, laterally speaking, I use a stick if ones handy, or just feed it to the ground and have a groundie flick it to me, but I saw my boss use his tail to grab it, I should try it sometime. I use the fist so I don't have to spike all the way up, think I should try without spikes as soon as all this rain lets up. Etremetrees, I would probably chicken out with spikes. The highest I have ever been I think is about 85 ft. and I don't think anybody will get any higher in Western New York. My old boss used to work in GA, he said the trees are taller there. Maybe I should relocate... hmmmmm. The company I work for full time is called Top Notch Tree Service.Thank you for all advice everybody.

Good for you Jonny. Find out when your ISA chapter climbing competition is and go check it out for a few hours. Then you will get a chance to see some reall climbing and get a few ideas.

Maybe you could get some to the Toronto fellahs to get together on a rec climb with you.

Back