spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no we dont have a chipper, for the simple fact that we have nothing to blow the chips into, we have a 5 acre place we dump and on the weedends we get a case and a bottle and sit around the fire ^.^, Yes I am very happy to learn from all of you, also netree, I went to your site and masterblasters, they both are great I will be listening to everything u 2 say because you truely know the art of the tree...

Well, goodnight, ima goto bed, got a 45 foot Live Oak to take down tomarrow, g'night!

I'll be on tomarrow

Originally posted by Florida16
\ on the weedends we get a case and a bottle and sit around the fire ^.^,

woaaaaaaaaaahh your 16???

well what the hell...

Liquor gets ya quicker buddy!

School wasn't very important to me when I was sixteen.

Now, at 43, I'm back in college at night and looking forward to graduating in a couple of years. Its challenging, but the scenery is nice. :D

Education is good.

Ignorance is not good.

Never did <i>what</i> Butch?&nbsp; Stereotype someone?&nbsp; LOL

Originally posted by Treeman14
Now, at 43, I'm back in college at night and looking forward to graduating in a couple of years. Its challenging, but the scenery is nice. :D
There are a lot of 40+ students in my classes. Sometimes I think they're back for the education, but I know otherwise. It's been a good experience for me. What program are you in, Brett?

Has anyone mentioned "going back to school?"

For one thing, it will show determination and the willingness to work - these characteristics will carry through to how you climb and or run your own business.

For another, there are enough ignorant butchers out there climbing already, and we certainly would love to have another well educated one join the ranks! :D

Not that I have preached for a bit - welcome to the site. Read, ask, enjoy, but most importantly, LEARN!

the F350 only has a 12 foot bed so even if it was a dump bed it wouldnt haul much. I may go back to school doing night classes or something but I want to continue to clim,b everyday. Also yes we have $750,000 in insurance

nah, I think we are just gonna get a gooseneck dump trailer for now, so when I get a truck, I can turn it into a dump bed and he can use the trailer, see he has this thing with his truck, its in really really nice condition and he dont wanna mess it up.
Go figure

IDK, for 16 I'm doing pretty good I would say. My papa is payin' me $150 a day to climb. Although I WOULD do it for free, just so I can get ther experience and all that I need, it is nice to have a paycheck at the end of the week.
I don't climb because I see $ signs in the tree, I climb because its what I love to do and it's more than just a game...

Originally posted by Florida16
I haven't ruled it out, but I won't EVER go back to a real school, the most I want is a G.E.D. Anyways, I'm here to learn EVERYTHING I can about climbing, so where should I start, oh yeah, whats the basic equipment you need to have to climb w/o spikes?

You work the tree, but have to talk to people to get paid, even sell job; GED won't always cut it. Also, this is about growth of self and industry, research and learning skills are important over the next 40 years to catch up and keep up.

Also do you think I should still climb with spikes for a while until I get the true feeling for - walking limbs, my cuts, felling, roping techniques, and proper hinges?

i think all these old men on here climb without spikes on trims; the strategies are different, must force yourself to walk without them

Also what knot do you all use for repelling? I have a pretty good one but it sometimes tightens up when I use it for a good while and have to loosen it back up again.

MyTreeLessons.Com
Originally posted by TreeCo
Learning to climb is a "hands on" experience. Arboristsite is a great source for information about climbing but almost everything we discuss here if misapplied can result in serious injury or death. Serious injury or death. (yes, I repeated myself)-Dan Nelson

i got to climb a 50 foot hickory and remove it today, its right over a house so i'll have to hitch it all down, but i never have been 50 foot in a tree, any suggestions on getting used to the height?

Well, I went and did the Hickory, If that's what you want to call it.

Here's my story...

I get to the job site, get my gear on and climb up to the top of one limb. there are 3 50 feet limbs in all. I get to the top and remove about 5 limbs. Now I am at the crown, the wind starts picking up and I start to get a little jittery. I cut some hanging limbs and now its just me and the crown. Wind speed picks up again by then, probably about 5 MPH or more. I look at the fork where the top 2 limbs come off. It looks like its cracked a little because of the hurricanes. I get worried because they are over a house, the winds are scaring me and I don't want to climb any higher because of the cracks.
So what do I do?
Of course I come down.
On my way down there was 1 limb left about 30-35 feet and they told me to cut it because I was already on my way down. I tell them I cant just cut it that it needs to be roped out, they tell me to cut it anyways and I say "No, it will hit the house" they said no it won't just cut it. So I cut it, it hits the house and they get mad. So I get to the ground and grab all my equipment and take off walking down the road. I walked 2 miles and called my dad to pick me up.

The End.

As "Floppy" you mean when you take all the limbs off and there is just a stump 40 feet in the air, it tends to wabble?

What do I do?

F16, if you trust it you can use a short piece of rope to tie the pieces together to hold the crack from spreading and climb up past the crack. The wind is a judgement call, too much wind get out of the tree. The limb over hanging the house, if you are tied in above let out some slack and walk out the limb, cut a small piece off (twig) and let it hit the house with as little damage as possible so the guys on the ground know what you're trying to tell them. Cut little pieces as you work your way back towards the trunk so you don't damage the roof or house. Cut little pieces you can throw clear by hand. You'll reach a point where you can cut the rest and miss the house. Sounds like you didn't have enough rope to do tricks in the tree today.You could after tying the cracked croutch together run a rope from the ground over the croutch and down to the tip of the limb over the house and have the groundguys pull the limb up off the house. Best to walk out the limb to cut a piece small enough they can handle it. Cut slow from unerneath up so they can pull it up and when you cut it loose it will swing into the trunk where they can lower it without hitting the house. Make sure you're tied in because the limb may try to brush you off as it heads for the trunk. Next time they tell you to just cut it loose, refuse to do it. Practicing bad habits is not a good thing. You are the climber, it's your call to make not theirs. You need to talk to the ground crew about how you're going to take the tree apart before you climb up so they know what you expect them to do for you once you're up there. You're the climber, you need to be in charge once you're in the tree.

Back