Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer a flush hang. I think the first proud handles I saw were European. Then a bunch of guys on websites started hanging everything proud. I thought it was just a fast way to hang a handle, less hand fitting. Leave some wood sticking through and put a fat wedge in it to spread the wood. I have a couple axes pushing 100 years old with flush hangs that are still tight and serviceable. I like the old video from the Forest Service, he hangs all of his flush. I think it might have been the first version of the same guy that was in print, and he said never drive a steel wedge cross ways, only in line with the kerf. But, I think he said that was a strength issue, not a tightness issue. I'd have to look up the old print version and re read it. The double that Multifaceted hung for me was a little proud and looks Very Nice. Some of the ones you see, on line, look like they just grind the handle down till it sticks through loose. Leave an inch of wood sticking through and wedge it so far the wood bends and makes a pressure fit, instead of hand fitting for a tight friction fit. I don't like them at all.

Looking good, brother!

Ooooo. more double bit gorgeousness tonight! (see the resto thread fr more). what is it?

your spoke shave looks brand new, bought for this task? have you sharpened it? it won't come sharp, it'll cut much better sharp.

Come upon any doubles in the UK much? I might be able to help you out if not...

Google: Ramapo mountain people.

I have heard of them, but can't say I know much. Will check it out!

Ooooo. more double bit gorgeousness tonight! (see the resto thread fr more). what is it?

your spoke shave looks brand new, bought for this task? have you sharpened it? it won't come sharp, it'll cut much better sharp.
I may have to sharpen it ,it was shaving and i got the handle down to where i wanted it but it was very grabby and not too smooth KIMG4104.JPG ,i got the rough shape then sanded it from there ,the axe is a council ,only real double bit that i could find new without spending several hundred on one ,think it was about 80 bucks roughly .It' sticks more than my no name double bit because its thinner faced ,but with maple ,alder and doug fir it did ok ,has a nice balance being double bit ,swings nice through the air compared to the Arvika ,the Arvika will bust up tougher stuff though over this one ,The head has some patina now from the wood discoloring it ,and the handle has been soaked in blo and taking a nice color from the sun , only pic i have right now .

I bought a super cheap spoke shave recently to hog off the material before moving a bastard file when fitting heads. I've given it a quick sharpen and got a half decent edge but it doesn't feel a great tool...i need to set it up better probably. i cuts of sorts though and is quicker than a file.

No we don't get many doubles in the UK. very occasionally i see a gransfors on ebay, and a bit more often I'll see a US one. There is a plumb cruiser, nice looking head, new haft (not a good hang i reckon, it looks to be 'shouldered') there currently. £41 plus a tenner postage, 3 and a half days left to go. I would guess it will go a good bit higher yet. Not silly money, but they are definitiely in the 'collectable' bracke if you know what I mean.

Are there any british axe designs you have an interest in? Maybe we could help each other get some unusual additions to our collections?

here we are
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plumb-vi...648835?hash=item4d7765e743:g:rx8AAOSwojdbRITe

for reference, the wetterlings 6lb felling axe i bought last week i got for £37 delivered, although i feel that was rather a good deal. It arrived today, I'll get some photos up later in the week. I'd have been happy with the price for the head as it looks to need a sharpen but otherwise not bad. It turns out the handle (original, still with epoxy) was fairly described as 'nicked but plenty of life left' it even has the remnants of a label on the shaft.

Neil, looks kind of like this one.
1ZEl01g.jpg

I bought a super cheap spoke shave recently to hog off the material before moving a bastard file when fitting heads. I've given it a quick sharpen and got a half decent edge but it doesn't feel a great tool...i need to set it up better probably. i cuts of sorts though and is quicker than a file.

No we don't get many doubles in the UK. very occasionally i see a gransfors on ebay, and a bit more often I'll see a US one. There is a plumb cruiser, nice looking head, new haft (not a good hang i reckon, it looks to be 'shouldered') there currently. £41 plus a tenner postage, 3 and a half days left to go. I would guess it will go a good bit higher yet. Not silly money, but they are definitiely in the 'collectable' bracke if you know what I mean.

Are there any british axe designs you have an interest in? Maybe we could help each other get some unusual additions to our collections?
Do you have the curved or strait blade spoke shave ,i got the curved one ,seemed like it may work on the curved handles at the time .I do not have much of an axe collection ,just some current models ,no retro ones ,i would like an old plumb or maybe a kelly or stiletto some day though .I do live where lots of axes were used so i will start keeping an eye out for vintage stuff when i can .
The one in my picture is a council ,looks similar to an old kelly double bit .

curved body/base spoke shave. needs to be I think. i think i need to learn the nack though....not being flat you can hold it at differnt angles to the wood and I need to find th right angle and depth of cut that works well this is where a cheap shave suffers, the adjustment is not very easy.
This place, and the restoration thread, is addictive. I only have a couple of axes, but enjoy seeing what the other guys here have. Joe, Clarence, Dan have some really nice finds, so do the other guys....but those 3 seem...prolific!

does look very much like that. i like thar finish on yours Joe, how did you get that?
This was my prized Plumb Double that Multifaceted hung for me. He shaved the haft to an octagonal and it feels super nice in the hand. It just happened to be Valentines Day when he gave it back to me, so I gave it to my wife for her gift. You'll have to ask him the details of the finish? He told me, but I forgot.
Cj2Lg1I.jpg

This was my prized Plumb Double that Multifaceted hung for me. He shaved the haft to an octagonal and it feels super nice in the hand. It just happened to be Valentines Day when he gave it back to me, so I gave it to my wife for her gift. You'll have to ask him the details of the finish? He told me, but I forgot.
Cj2Lg1I.jpg

@LondonNeil — the finish is mostly the natural patina after I cleaned the rust off with a wire cup brush on a power drill. The patina wasn't fully developed, so there were areas of bright steel peaking through. For the sake of uniformity, I used a small amount of Birchwood Casey gun blue on the bright steel spots, then gave the steel a light coat of BLO.

I'm just a hack too, one of my many, many hobbies and interests. But thanks for the vote of confidence!

The fellow that coined the acwc mostly chops smaller rounds that can be halved or quartered while laying on (soft) ground.

Steven Edholm, aka "Skillcult" is his name.

Lately I've been preferring to split on the ground or in a pile. Unless I absolutely have to, i.e. it's a particularly knotty or goofy round, I'll stand it on a block. Often railsplitting it takes care of that and is less picking up and setting again. My technique is evolving into a 'handle as little as possible' school of thought... Ir rather, as little as possible while doing by hand...

Back