Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anyone is interested, I created a thread dedicated to the 2018 ACWC (Axe Cordwood Challenge) and you can view it here:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/2018-axe-cordwood-challenge.316582/

It had some decent activity for a while, mostly others poo-pooing the idea saying things along the lines of "must be nice to have all of that free time" and whatnot, but @svk and I have both posted progress pics. Has been dormant for a few months, but if anyone is still interested in giving it a go, please post in that thread. I plan to once I get back on the horse.

In case anyone is interested, I created a thread dedicated to the 2018 ACWC (Axe Cordwood Challenge) and you can view it here:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/2018-axe-cordwood-challenge.316582/

It had some decent activity for a while, mostly others poo-pooing the idea saying things along the lines of "must be nice to have all of that free time" and whatnot, but @svk and I have both posted progress pics. Has been dormant for a few months, but if anyone is still interested in giving it a go, please post in that thread. I plan to once I get back on the horse.
I have a long ways to go. Perhaps a face cord might be a more doable challenge!!!

Have lots of biting insects and ticks here as well, so I have to put up with them while sawing, clearing the woods, and maintenance on the land. I sweat profusely so most bug repellent is ineffective after a short while. Last weekend I wss feasted on relentlessly... it got so bad I even had a hematoma in my arm... Fargin bastages ...

Another reason why I dislike summer.

try a smokey fire nearby, or even a jos stick can be enough to keep some away.

Where I've been sawing is on a moderately steep hill in a wooded area about 250-300m from my house and our controlled burning area with water hose reach. Despite our incredibly wet spring and early summer, the past few weeks have been relatively dry, so I do not feel comfortable having something smoldering amid dried leaves, twigs, and other bio matter without adequate means to put out a fire. Otherwise, that works well. When I'm bucking or splitting in my wood area which has my burn barrels, I'll often burn brush and refuse to lessen the pile and keep the bugs away.

I have a long ways to go. Perhaps a face cord might be a more doable challenge!!!

The minimum requirement is a rick 4' high by 8' long. No depth is mentioned, so that says face cord to me ;)

Obviously, a rick of those dimensions made from 8" long splits would be rediculous, and would still count, but ought to give the axe driver enough pause to consider what the heck they are doing...

It's weird but mosquitos dont bother me I have almost no reaction to them. I could get bit and 10 min later I wouldn't know.

I split my 7 face cords with an ax like I do every year that should count for something. That's the easy part I couldn't imagine chopping up a large tree with an ax.

Just sold the farm. We are moving to the Georgia Mountains away from these awful mosquitoes. Had enough!

Wow, that was quick! Be mindful of the welcoming committee:

deliverance.jpg

It's weird but mosquitos dont bother me I have almost no reaction to them. I could get bit and 10 min later I wouldn't know.

I split my 7 face cords with an ax like I do every year that should count for something. That's the easy part I couldn't imagine chopping up a large tree with an ax.

I, too, split all of my wood by hand. Have done 5-6 cords already stacked since October of last year. For the challenge the wood needs to be processed entirely with an axe, the only reception for a crosscut saw is to back cut and wedge a potentially dangerous lay. I've been sticking to smallish to medium sized trees. Large trees are too much work. Even back when the axe was a primary tool, crosscut saws were still used in conjunction.

I bet you have those in the PA mountains also. I seen quite a few in the North Jersey Mountains

deliverance.jpg

Oh, man... We have 'em here too, but you have to stray far off the state roads to find 'em. We call them chuds, or mountain people. I only posted the pic because Deliverance was set in the hills of NW Georgia is all.

Had one more boy’s axe at the cabin to test out against the defending lightweight champ.

They look pretty similar.
BBD3A886-4147-4392-8CEC-D5092A683B70.jpeg

Here too
F1C93C95-C59A-47E9-B449-7C25166401E3.jpeg

Not here though. Significant difference in thickness.
AC1F140C-2EB5-49DB-8F98-3CA1D9A2724A.jpeg
The thinner profiled head (which bested the Fiskars the other night) was the better chopper. When “crosscutting” it was significantly more effective. When you did the angular “cleanup” swing and hit the tree at a 45 degree angle the difference in effectiveness was not as large.

This one was only hung last year but wanted to walk out. I was able to tap the end of the handle on a rock and it came back down. This is the last handle that I’ll cut flush with the head. Everything from this point forward will be left proud.
78B6ED9A-FDAC-4F8B-BDB6-C44A9932D487.jpeg

Latest posts

Back