Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this unused Chopper one with its instructions and price tag on its haft at a antique shop for 20.00. Original price tag was 31.30View attachment 661371
My neighbor got one of those about 30 years ago. When he found out you still had to swing it, he never picked it up again.

My neighbor used to buy every gadget made that was supposed to do all the work for you. I remember when he got his. I was going to ask if they still make them? I looked on the Bay and there are a couple people asking $150-$200 for. They must really work!

They started making them again I think the new ones are around 80.00 or so. And yes they do kick the crap out of other splitting mauls.

Multifaceted is doing the challenge. I signed up too but haven’t done much so far
Do you have to "sign up"? I just started chopping with my American Beauty, then after every wheelbarrow load switch axes. I just plan on clearing all of the Gum trees out of my woods. I did fell and chop one Gum with the little Plum hatchet I made for throwing.
Bc1IXHS.jpg

HfF5ztF.jpg

AeNj8UN.jpg

JtSq15x.jpg

Do you have to "sign up"?
Multifaceted is doing the challenge. I signed up too but haven’t done much so far
Steven edholm/skillcult videos are great, he is clearly an intelligent guy

His 'challenge' is one thing. If you follow through some of his YouTube videos (there are a lot of them, and they are long), he has some interesting perspectives on axes, their use, etc. If you are interested in axes at a geeky level, they might be worth watching.

Philbert

Chopping tool shootout tonight!

Here’s the lineup, from the top:

1) 6# True Temper
2) True Temper boy’s axe
3) old axe head from my grandpa’s garage
4) axe from my great grandparents
5) Fiskars “chopping axe”

57E1152E-E15C-4CB4-A04D-249A5D7ABF10.jpeg 02F21424-C829-436A-AC8D-D88907B42910.jpeg

The quarry, an aspen over my secondary driveway.
D2BF1DDF-018B-4CF8-A9C6-B8F4C1AA2A61.jpeg

I started off with the Fiskars versus the True Temper boy’s axe. Amazingly the True Temper was a little more proficient than the Fiskars. That was surprising. On that note I have another TT axe with a different profile that I’m going to have to test next time.

Test #1, Fiskars (left) vs True Temper boy’s axe (right). Two hits from the right with one hit from the left to clear the chips for each axe.
496B8A49-9377-4D88-9DAA-144A92EED91E.jpeg

Working through the trunk with the 6 pounder.
708C4601-18C4-4E90-92DE-26BD619AC777.jpeg

I then tested the three larger axes. While the 6 pounder works great for splitting due to its mass, it’s honestly too heavy (at least for me) to swing effectively while chopping.

It was finally down to two axes, the head from my Grandpa’s garage and the head from my great grandparents. Surprisingly the smaller head from my Grandpa’s garage (number 3 in the original pic) was the top performer. I noticed they both have similar stamping so I’m wondering if they were originally from the same manufacturer. It’s very possible they were as my grandpa and great Grandpa logged together.

As I mentioned I’ll run the top heavy axe and boy’s axe against my other axes as time allows. I’m still quite surprised that the True Temper out performed the Fiskars.

Done! Will attack the second tree this weekend
48CB1BF4-6840-4C3E-B443-5B6BA2C841C0.jpeg

Do you have to "sign up"? I just started chopping with my American Beauty, then after every wheelbarrow load switch axes. I just plan on clearing all of the Gum trees out of my woods. I did fell and chop one Gum with the little Plum hatchet I made for throwing.
Bc1IXHS.jpg

HfF5ztF.jpg

AeNj8UN.jpg

JtSq15x.jpg

His 'challenge' is one thing. If you follow through some of his YouTube videos (there are a lot of them, and they are long), he has some interesting perspectives on axes, their use, etc. If you are interested in axes at a geeky level, they might be worth watching.

Philbert

I did take up the challenge, and no, you do not need to 'sign up' anywhere; however, one ought to provide some video proof of your work or at least a photo of the amount of wood you processed. My plan was to shoot a few short videos that I'll edit into a compilation and upload to my YouTube channel, then tag Skillcult/Steven Edholm. In September when the challenge deadline ends, he plans to see all of the content that the takers have submitted or uploaded as documentation, then add up the amount of wood chopped. It's not really a contest, but rather a challenge and a curiosity to see how much axe-cut wood can be processed.

So far I'm about 25% complete from what I had hoped to cut, but the litany of summer chores around the property, pertinent home improvement projects, and going hard at scrounging for more wood as well as clearing some deadfall and standing dead trees has taken up a great deal of the limited spare time I have. There is still a little over a month until the deadline, and I have the remains of two more dead trees to buck and schlep downhill to my woodlot before I can pick the axes back up and start adding back to the pile. I'm confident that I can at least get one rick full before Sept 1. I'll tell you what, though - I hate sawing or chopping in the summer heat. I hate the heat and humidity, can't wait until fall. I prefer the cold, summer is overrated...

Back