Square files?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have one customer that is doing "square filing". His regular source for those files has changed to an Austrian manufacturer. He claims these newly sourced files are comparitively no good.

Can anyone suggest some sources? I struck out with my usual suppliers, Tilton and PECo.

Almost no one square files around here. I don't even know the correct name for the files. I've never carried them.

Jeff, have you got or can you get these files?

Tony;
I have an online source serving both Canada and States. Not sure of the protocol regarding posting online source if some of the dealers here can supply. I don't always get the same brand from them and have noticed that one brand of the triangle based file has very rounded minor facets on it that give a very un-crisp side cutter to the tooth. Have given that one away so can't tell you what to avoid.

Frank

The term for the files is Chisel Bit Files.......Stihl sells them.....Ahlborn sells them.....and Madsens carries a couple of different kinds. Those are the 3 places I get them from. I have a few guys who square file and I am trying to get more people to do it.

Joey

Why are you trying to get more guys square filing, to lower the cost of having the chains and files in stock? This is a serious question.

Russ

Hey guys- double sided "Viiala" or Viialan files are what we use here, but double ended Obergs work very well too. Viiala files are made in Sweden I think, was it Pferd that has gone to Austria?

Russ,

I like square file chain.....it is smooth cutting and holds its edge better. I don't want to reduce inventory......it is increased my inventory.....I will still carry both Square and round file chain and files.

---Joe

Hi Joey

Thanks for the feedback.

In my very limited experience with square filed, I`ve developed the opinion that it doesn`t hold an edge quite as well as round filed. It`s interesting to see that your perspective is exactly opposite.

The problem that I have found is that almost everyone whom I have encountered who ran square ground, including a GOL instructor, could not hand file it well enough to outcut, or even cut with, a good round filed chain.

My reference to lowering your costs was in the vein of your inventory unit costs going down as you move more of any item.

Russ

Square filing takes a long time to master.......I have yet to do it although I am working on it. Some of the loggers that I have here have mastered it and will never look back. Once the angles and such have been mastered the chain will keep its edge longer than round file.....but untill then it is about the same as round file.

square what...grinder

Steve here...
I'd be a hundred before I fiqured out how not, to ruin chain with a square file.... Don't be scared... Spin the wheel.. Used square grinders aren't that expensive.
my 2 cents

Madsens......or your local Stihl dealer.....Madsens carries vialla square files and your stihl dealer can order them for you. Be prepared though they are pricy from both. I sell them in my shop for $4.20 each.

Tony

Bailey`s has them for $42.95/dozen for the flat or tri-cornered chisel bit files. I also believe that you can get them from Jeff in that ball park.

The files that Bailey`s sell look just like the Vallorbes that I`ve bought from CCD for $49.95/dozen. The biggest thing that I don`t like about them is the wavy edge on the flat files, you need to hand pick the ones with straight edges.

I ultimately ended up buying a bunch of Obergs and they are first rate, my first choice.

Russ

Hey Tony...

Tried to call your cell and you have it off

Anyway I can get the Vallorbe Grobet company Swiss made (Switzerland) files. The Oberg files (Swedish Company name- files actually made in Portugal) are listed as obolete- these are double ended files.

The Vallorbe square files are $41/ doz + shipping
I can normally ship files in the flat rate USPS mailer for $3.85

I'll try to call again

Jeff

File Maintenance

(Pun Intended)

Looking for some information on square file choices and availability, I ran across several, similar threads. Some are older. Pointing people to this one, below, so that everyone can share information with everyone else, and keep things current.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/square-files.341252/

Philbert

Back