stalling saw with choke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl for life

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hey ive have been asked today if it bad for your chainsaw if u use your choke to stall your saw ,beacuse your kill switch itsent working. i couldn't give him a straight answer i told him that it would be best for safety reasons to replace it . will this ever harm your saw . if so why is this.any input would be awesome thanks

Shutting off a saw with the choke will not hurt it, but the kill switch should be replaced.

Yep, 08. The choke is used for starting, governing top rpm, and stopping.

I would think it fills the crankcase with large amounts of fuel only making it harder to start, especially right away. Some times its not the switch thats bad, its the missing ground strap between the av isolated tank handle and the actual metal mass of the motor.

The very first Stihl 08 series (no "S") did not have a kill switch - you were supposed to "kill" the engine using the choke.
The only problem you may have using this method is when the saw delevops an air leak :cool:

My 08 restarts hot on the first pull without engaging the throttle. No air leaks, fresh carb kit.

Stihl 08 in wood:

Might foul your plug..?

Extremely unlikely unless you have other probs working. Choking hot engine @ idle would have much less such effect than choking it when cold with fast idle set- normal starting procedure. If doing that causes fuel accumulation in crankcase (very doubtful with hot engine) it should start without choke next time. Wouldn't count on it, though.

As long as the choke really chokes there shouldn't be any problems. If it leaks, you can let it run out of fuel to die. Or maybe readjust the carb every time :p

my 08 has a kill switch...
The very early ones didn't...
Stihl08-1.JPG

Back