Stihl 034/034S/036?: Advise Me Please...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy Isle

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
A local saw shop owner/mechanic has a 034AV that needs a piston and cylinder. He's going to perform the work (and let me watch; I'm itching to learn more), tune the saw, put on a new skip chain, and then sell me the saw for $300. My area Craigslist prices for this saw are between $298 and $350, and those aren't saws with new P/Cs.

I've read here (and on another forum) about stepping up a P/C size on certain saws. Will a P/C from a 034 Super or a 036 fit this saw? If so, does anything else need to be replaced for this to work? Is a 034 and a 034 Super exactly the same, other than the P/C? Is this project/idea a "good" plan in regards to attempting to eek a bit more power out of this saw?

Bear with me if my terminology/questions are a bit off; I'm learning as I go. I've cross-posted this to another forum; hopefully that's not frowned upon. Thanks...

Umm, It depends.

The case should be the same. The carb and mufflers may be different but interchange.

Why the skip chain?

The execution of your plan hinges on the piston and cylinder. If he's using an OEM Stihl 48mm Cylinder in good shape with an OEM or Meteor piston and Caber/OEM rings, it's not a bad deal with a bar.

If he's replacing the stock 46mm P&C with an aftermarket jug and piston (that he's likely getting from China for less than $50), it's not worth it.

I believe you want an 036 P/C. It will fit on the 034 crankcase but I think the muffler needs some spacers to mount correctly. The first saw I built was a 034 and I love it with a 20 inch bar with 3/8 chain. Keep us posted on progress!

Thanks for all the advice so far! To address a few points:
-The piston/cylinder are without question OEM.
-Not certain on the reason behind the skip chain. He just said he'd throw a new one on. Bad idea? I've never run skip chain. I've only run "regular old" yellow label chain (unless I happen to find a free green label chain).
-gunnusmc03: The saw is just a regular 034, not a Super.

Now that I know that this conversion/upgrade is possible, what would be the other difference between the 034 and the 034 Super or 036, other than a new top cover that says "034 Super" or "036"?

034 is 56cc the super and 036 are 61.5 cc
only difference i know of between th e super and 036 are the top cover badges and possibly the carburetors.the 034 should have a tillotson,the 034 super should have tillotson and the 036 more than likely a chinese zama.

The cylinder with the decomp button has some larger fins and either the fins or the plastics will need to be modified for an upgrade to work. Not sure if all the 036 cylinders have the decomp or not but something to consider.

I have a early 036 with no decomp. Also my air filter is 034

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice so far! To address a few points:
-The piston/cylinder are without question OEM.
-Not certain on the reason behind the skip chain. He just said he'd throw a new one on. Bad idea? I've never run skip chain. I've only run "regular old" yellow label chain (unless I happen to find a free green label chain).
-gunnusmc03: The saw is just a regular 034, not a Super.

Now that I know that this conversion/upgrade is possible, what would be the other difference between the 034 and the 034 Super or 036, other than a new top cover that says "034 Super" or "036"?
The decrease in CC's of the standard 034 P&C will make it less powerful. How much?, probably not a lot.

But resale and demand on the standard vs. Super 034/36 is definitely different. People generally always want the bigger CC model (why not). Look on eBay for jugs for a minute. OEM 46mm 034 jugs are cheap and don't sell. Move up to the 48mm jug and the prices start to get crazy.

I'd say that with the standard 46mm jug, the deal isn't that great.

Someone here is selling a minty 034 in the Trading post for around what you'll be paying. And his saw is mint and still not sold. If it was a Super, it would be gone by now.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-034-w-18-stihl-bar-b-c.286580/

Latest posts

Back