Stihl 034 Bar Oil Mess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdrew888

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope I'm posting in the right place on this forum. I recently acquired a older Stihl 034 in good condition with good compression that runs strong and idles nice. I took the saw apart to clean it up and noticed it was missing the little stainless steel plate that sits between the bar oil outlet and the bar. I tried a plate that came off another saw just to see if it would work. It didn't, most of the bar oil is just splattering around the inside of the clutch cover and very little is making it's way to the chain. This saw has a forward chain tensioner but the saw I took the stainless plate off of has a side tensioner, otherwise the plate appears to fit perfectly. Can you tell me if the stainless plate could be causing problems or if it could be something else? Thanks!!!

Moderator:Thanks for moving my query to the correct location on this forum!

Last edited:
Hi all, I hope I posting in the right place on this forum. I recently acquired a older Stihl 034 in good condition with good compression that runs strong and idles nice. I took the saw apart to clean it up and noticed it was missing the little stainless steel plate that sits between the bar oil outlet and the bar. I tried a plate that came off another saw just to see if it would work. It didn't, most of the bar oil is just splattering around the inside of the clutch cover and very little is making it's way to the chain. This saw has a forward chain tensioner but the saw I took the stainless plate off of has a side tensioner, otherwise the plate appears to fit perfectly. Can you tell me if the stainless plate could be causing problems or if it could be something else? Thanks!!!

Hi, this model of saw, does not have a slipper plate between the bar and saw body! Best wishes Toby

The parts list shows an inner side plate. It goes between the saw body and the bar.

New Stihl Chainsaw Bar Chain Inner Side Plate 024 032 034 056 1113 664 1002 | eBay

There is NOT one between the bar and the clutch cover. Toby had it, just on the wrong side...

Yes, the inner side plate is what I installed except the one I used has a bar/chain adjustment hole in it for side access but my saws bar is adjusted from the front. Hardly any of the oil is making it to the chain, mostly splattering around the clutch cover.

Thanks watsonar & Toby. I believe the inner side plate watsonar has identified in the link is the correct part (front tensioner) model and the one I installed is for the side tensioner kind. I'm going to try to locate the correct part locally and see if that rectifies the bar oil splatter issue. Cheers! Gene

... most of the bar oil is just splattering around the inside of the clutch cover and very little is making it's way to the chain.

Sounds like the clutch may have taken out the oil delivery line between the pump and the bar mount orifice. Pull the clutch and take a look.
If the line is cut, get the oil line kit. part number 1124 007 1010

Sounds like the clutch may have taken out the oil delivery line between the pump and the bar mount orifice. Pull the clutch and take a look.
If the line is cut, get the oil line kit. part number 1124 007 1010

I rebuilt a 036 a while back and showed pics on how to change oil line for 034/036. Do a search.

Buy the stihl kit it has enough line for two saws if you screw up, the line is a STIFF thermoplastic and needs to be heated to slip over the pump nipple and into the brass fitting on the outlet side. Can do this with a Bic lighter and some needle nose pliers. Make sure the pump drive spring is in the notch on the clutch drum when assembled.

Also, you need the provided metal coil spring inside the oil line, or it will kink and/or rub on the clutch drum.

The parts list shows an inner side plate. It goes between the saw body and the bar.

New Stihl Chainsaw Bar Chain Inner Side Plate 024 032 034 056 1113 664 1002 | eBay

There is NOT one between the bar and the clutch cover. Toby had it, just on the wrong side...

Actually.....I picked up an 034 today. No way there ever was an inner bar plate on that saw. Whats the deal? Goin to take a pic......be right back.

See.....
IMG_0034-1.jpg

Last edited:
I removed the clutch and checked the line from the pump to the outlet and all looks good as far as I can tell.

I find it strange that Adirondackstihl's saw is missing the same part...or not missing it.

I'm not having any luck posting pictures of my saw...

Gene

I think the differences lie between the front adjust and side adjust chain tensioner...
See the cut sheet below....

Differences.jpg

**** Also note the difference in the chain brake covers ****

Checked my IPL, the inner side plate shows as an option in the notes.

You probably checked already, but its the simplest things that get us sometimes- are the bar grooves and oil hole clean and does the hole align with the oiler groove?

If you get the correct plate, those two are clean and you get oily mess (meaning the oiler is actually putting out oil) i don't see a reason it wouldn't work. :msp_scared:

You probably checked already, but its the simplest things that get us sometimes- are the bar grooves and oil hole clean and does the hole align with the oiler groove?

If you get the correct plate, those two are clean and you get oily mess (meaning the oiler is actually putting out oil) i don't see a reason it wouldn't work. :msp_scared:

I hope the plate I am trying with the side adjustment hole is the problem. It looks to me like it is lineing up with the oil outlet just fine so Im not sure why it isn't working. One of the members is saying the plate is listed as an option and another recently picked up a used 034 without the plate too. Strange stuff...

I hope the plate I am trying with the side adjustment hole is the problem. It looks to me like it is lineing up with the oil outlet just fine so Im not sure why it isn't working. One of the members is saying the plate is listed as an option and another recently picked up a used 034 without the plate too. Strange stuff...

Just left my local dealership where the head mechanic of 30yrs + is a good friend of mine.
He told me the older saws with front chain adjusters did NOT have an inner bar plate.

Just left my local dealership where the head mechanic of 30yrs + is a good friend of mine.
He told me the older saws with front chain adjusters did NOT have an inner bar plate.

Well then, I have to rethink this one...perhaps I should yank out the oil pump and try to see if I can locate any issues there. I just can't figure out why the oil wouldn't be making it to the bar and chain. I will up-date later if I happen to get anywhere with it...

Back