Stihl 038 Mag vs 044??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinion is the 038 is too heavy, they seem to run hot and the early switches were terrible. Oh and the fuel caps tended to work loose and leak fuel and start fires.

The 044/MS440 saws are light and nimble but not very powerful.

I have both and enjoy having both, I have multiple 044s both 10 and 12MM. I also have 4 versions of the 038, the 038AV, Super, Magnum, and Magnum II. I have always owned them and only get rid of them if I am replacing with the same saw in better shape. If I were to only have one of either, the 044 would be one of the easiest choices I've ever made. My opinion hasn't changed, I still think the 044 is my favorite Stihl ever made, and I own almost every model they've made back to the BLK.

I have both and enjoy having both, I have multiple 044s both 10 and 12MM. I also have 4 versions of the 038, the 038AV, Super, Magnum, and Magnum II. I have always owned them and only get rid of them if I am replacing with the same saw in better shape. If I were to only have one of either, the 044 would be one of the easiest choices I've ever made. My opinion hasn't changed, I still think the 044 is my favorite Stihl ever made, and I own almost every model they've made back to the BLK.
044 and 046/460. Agreed if I dumped everything today one of these would be all I would keep. Light enough, power, and reliable. I'm curious though, from a collection stand point 038? And which model? Super, mag?

044 and 046/460. Agreed if I dumped everything today one of these would be all I would keep. Light enough, power, and reliable. I'm curious though, from a collection stand point 038? And which model? Super, mag?

Just like any model, the bigger the better as far as collector value, so the 038 Mag II is followed by the 038 Mag seem to have the most collector value. Same with the 056 Mag vs a regular 056AV and 041 Super vs 041AV, and the list goes on.

I
I have 12mm 044. Maybe that's the difference

The collecting got way out of hand for me, I got an 038 Mag first, then convinced myself I needed one of each model, same with the 044s, got a 12MM first then decided I needed a 10MM, liked those well enough to buy a spare of each, then needed the 440 to go with them, then the 441 to go with them. I'm not sure where it stops cause I'm still looking for the end....

Just like any model, the bigger the better as far as collector value, so the 038 Mag II is followed by the 038 Mag seem to have the most collector value. Same with the 056 Mag vs a regular 056AV and 041 Super vs 041AV, and the list goes on.
Agreed. Then you put personal preference in place. 041FB, looks alone.:rolleyes:

The collecting got way out of hand for me, I got an 038 Mag first, then convinced myself I needed one of each model, same with the 044s, got a 12MM first then decided I needed a 10MM, liked those well enough to buy a spare of each, then needed the 440 to go with them, then the 441 to go with them. I'm not sure where it stops cause I'm still looking for the end....
You are sick. Lol

I’ve been wanting an 038magnum so much. I’ve started gettin an eye for the 044 too though. I currently have a beat up one a guy asked me to look at. He won’t respond anymore though otherwise I’m gunna try and buy it off him

What was the year cut between 12mm and 10mm. 1997?

I’ve been wanting an 038magnum so much. I’ve started gettin an eye for the 044 too though. I currently have a beat up one a guy asked me to look at. He won’t respond anymore though otherwise I’m gunna try and buy it off him

That's how it starts, that's what I did, figure out what I really wanted, then something else would pop up, then another, then you need each model of that series. Then I started on other brands, then really obscure stuff, it's a never ending road you're headed down. I was a die hard Stihl guy for many many years, then found the 2 series Huskys, then some of the big old magnesium Macs, then off to the big magnesium Poulans, then off on a Dolmar tangent. Then I got started collecting NIB saws...It's beyond help at this point. Best part is it all happened in such a frenzy and uncontrolled chaos that the wife gave up trying to keep up about 250 saws ago. She used to get mad, then it tapered down to eye rolling, then it was "where you going, to get another saw" to now she doesn't even ask. She just comes out to the shop and brings coffee and tells me about her day. She doesn't even ask "is that a new one" anymore.

IMG_1001.JPG
What was the year cut between 12mm and 10mm. 1997?

To be honest, I'm not sure what the year was, 1997 does ring a bell though. I've been slowly collecting parts to build me a couple NOS 044s for quite a while now. This is what I have accumulated so far. I did pick up another NOS P&C kit, a recoil, a crank, and a couple carbs the other day that aren't in this picture.

I am mainly a Stihl guy. I was up to 30 saws but dropped to under 20 now. Wanted more funds to do stuff with the kiddos. I have an 041fb, 041av fb, 041super regular handle and 041super full wrap. Haven’t found the G yet. But im probably selling the full wrap super for funds. So far my favorite older Stihl sawn is the 056magII. I have a 056super lines up though.

Back