Stihl 044 - Missing Decompression Valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know the history of the decomp valve on the Stihl 044? Just about all of the pictures of used saws that I see have the decomp valve.

I just bought a used one with a 1998 MD and it doesn't have one. The cylinder is OEM and there is not even a decomp port on it. The top cover is also missing the hole for the decomp valve.

All of the IPLs that I have access to show cylinders with decomp valves or at least a port for one. Does anyone know why Stihl decided to delete the decomp valve in 044s of this vintage?

Thanks,

Steve

044's do not have decomps.
MS440's have decomps
The MS (motorsagen) designation came about later on in the production run.

Quite a few changes have occurred since the beginning production of the 1st 044. Many of which have unfortunately (IMO) made it less of a performer but now satisfy the EPA

Most people prefer not having a decomp valve on an 044, just another thing to go wrong.

If your saw does not have a large handle elastostart, I would recommend that before trying to install a decomp valve.

I will agree that when the saw is already hot, and you have to start it from an awkward position, a decomp valve would be nice to have, but I have also seen them fail, so it is not a total free ride.

If your saw does not have a large handle elastostart, I would recommend that before trying to install a decomp valve.
This may actually be the answer. The decomp was added and then removed after they introduced the Elastostart handles.

Well, I just looked at the IPL and repair manual. According to the repair manual copyright date the saw was introduced about 1990. According to the IPL the Elastostart handle was introduced toward the end of 1992.

This would leave more saws in the "without decomp" camp than we are seeing in the wild. Next...!

I purchased 044 #1 new in Dec 92 and it came w/elastostart handle. 044 #2 is an earlier SN, and I added elastostart to that one. Neither came w/decomp.

I have only seen decomp valves on some of the later 044s that also have the "skirt" on the air filter cover. (There is one of these for sale on the trading post, with pics). Non of the earlier saws that have the "gap" in the air filter cover have a decomp valve.

I purchased 044 #1 new in Dec 92 and it came w/elastostart handle. 044 #2 is an earlier SN, and I added elastostart to that one. Neither came w/decomp.

I have only seen decomp valves on some of the later 044s that also have the "skirt" on the air filter cover. (There is one of these for sale on the trading post, with pics). Non of the earlier saws that have the "gap" in the air filter cover have a decomp valve.
I recently asked Stihl at what serial number or in what year the decomp was introduced. Here is their response:

"This changed happened in 1994."

C.M. Peavler
STIHL Inc.

I recently asked Stihl at what serial number or in what year the decomp was introduced. Here is their response:

"This changed happened in 1994."

C.M. Peavler
STIHL Inc.

Interesting response from Stihl... I have a saw with a 1998 date code without a decomp valve. I am beginning to think that Stihl was either using up old parts or was trying to add marketing differentiation to the soon to be introduced 046 model (and removed it). Here are photos of the date tag and serial number of my saw without the decomp valve.

IMG_4048.JPG IMG_4050.JPG

Interesting response from Stihl... I have a saw with a 1998 date code without a decomp valve. I am beginning to think that Stihl was either using up old parts or was trying to add marketing differentiation to the soon to be introduced 046 model (and removed it). Here are photos of the date tag and serial number of my saw without the decomp valve.

View attachment 474587 View attachment 474588
I think the saw could be sold with or without decomp. Mine is 1999 with the valve. Then came the 440's with it.

There is a 044 with decomp on the trading post as we speak.

I don't think I have ever seen a 440 w/o it. I think they started using them late in the 044 run.

I have a MS 440 without a decomp. ( Actually it has a 044 cylinder on it. ) Elasto start handle and it helps a lot.

Latest posts

Back