Stihl 044 - Missing Decompression Valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't believe the sticker will give manufacture date of an individual saw, its an EPA sticker only, the serial # is stamped above the bar mount between the bar and the muffler. You need an expert to chime in and decode the serial #, I'm no expert but someone will help you with that I'm sure. Love my Ms440, ran it ext to an MS 460 this week and it actually did better as far as I'm concerned and I built both from scratch. The 460 was a gift to my friend for his help with a home project of mine, so we took them both out on Friday and stabbed up some cedar for future projects, the 440 is lighter but just as strong with the mill, we put both thru about 3 hours each of mill time so they got ran hard and performed well, I hear the 440- 460 hybrid is even better but for now I'll stick with my muffler modded 440 with a gasket delete, that's all I did!

Don't believe the sticker will give manufacture date of an individual saw, its an EPA sticker only, the serial # is stamped above the bar mount between the bar and the muffler. You need an expert to chime in and decode the serial #, I'm no expert but someone will help you with that I'm sure. Love my Ms440, ran it ext to an MS 460 this week and it actually did better as far as I'm concerned and I built both from scratch. The 460 was a gift to my friend for his help with a home project of mine, so we took them both out on Friday and stabbed up some cedar for future projects, the 440 is lighter but just as strong with the mill, we put both thru about 3 hours each of mill time so they got ran hard and performed well, I hear the 440- 460 hybrid is even better but for now I'll stick with my muffler modded 440 with a gasket delete, that's all I did!

If you have not already replaced the air filter with a low restriction one (like and HD-2), that may also make a noticeable difference, and a timing advance will also help. I usually take 20/1000 off the key. (Not sure what filter your 440 came with, the HDs are supposed to be VG, but the old 3 layer ones like I had are overly restrictive).

An 044 or 440 with these mods will generally run with most 046/460s. However, once ported the 460s are at a different level, and the hybrids will not keep up with them (they may have more speed, but not the torque).

Did you measure the squish after the gasket delete? My 044 was right about 20/1000, I'm curious if the 440 was about the same.

Just reading about 044s I bought a seized one and fitted a new piston, cleaned the original cylinder up and it runs like a good'un. It had a paper base gasket but the replacement I received is a metal one. I put blue Hermetite either side of it before I bolted the cylinder back down, never checked what it was like without one but now it's back together I'm happy with how it runs. This has a 12mm little end bearing (wrist pin) and no decomp and it is the original cylinder with Stihl written on it.

The 1 refers to being built in Germany, the rest of the SN is more or less just chronological with batches of # being assigned to different saw models over time.

If the saw is registered, a dealer can look it up and tell you when and where it was purchased. Lots of saws are never registered.

My restored MS 441C M-tronic went for a spin Sunday for a few hours. It ran and cut beautifully.
Stihl MS441C M-Tronic.JPG
I installed a 25" bar, even though this Pic shows it with a 20". The big oak I buck cut and noodled needed the extra length. No complaints from the engine. It's a keeper and I appreciated the decomp.

Latest posts

Back