Stihl 051av , one more !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony.13410

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Thanks for reading. Sorry in advance to post one more about. I have a Sihl 051av (collected from the neighbour) and like many doesn't want to start. I have read pretty much all the post related to 051, tried pretty much everything that I could do, but still no luck for me.
I pulled the saw apart, cleaned it, same for the carby, also sealed so no leack, double, triple checked I put everything in order.
Checked the coil, looks not so good but there is spark.
Compression is there.
Fuel line is good and fuel going into to cylinder.
When I pull nothing... doesn't even fire a little
Tried pouring fuel directly into the carby, same, nothing
I have reach my limits in mechanics... I have attached some pictures in case it help. I can do more if needed.

If anyone has an idea and can give me a direction to have it running it would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 051av .JPG
    051av .JPG
    6 MB · Views: 13
  • 051av 1 .JPG
    051av 1 .JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 051av 2 .JPG
    051av 2 .JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Sometimes there is not enough voltage to jump the plug gap under compression. Maybe there is an easier path to ground around the coil? How are you testing for spark? How did you set the gap between the coil and flywheel? Is that a module that replaces the points?

Sometimes there is not enough voltage to jump the plug gap under compression. Maybe there is an easier path to ground around the coil? How are you testing for spark? How did you set the gap between the coil and flywheel? Is that a module that replaces the points?

Hi Thanks for your answer. I don't have a multimeter so I can't tell about the voltage, just took the plug out and pull while touching the frame (spark is blue)
To set the gap I have used a method I've found on the forum, fold a paper in half, slided between the coil and flywheel, loosen the coil then tighten again.
For the easier path to ground around the coil I have no idea, I didn't want to do something wrong so I basically left it as it was.
Yes there is a sort of module but I have no clue what it is.

Hi Thanks for your answer. I don't have a multimeter so I can't tell about the voltage, just took the plug out and pull while touching the frame (spark is blue)
To set the gap I have used a method I've found on the forum, fold a paper in half, slided between the coil and flywheel, loosen the coil then tighten again.
For the easier path to ground around the coil I have no idea, I didn't want to do something wrong so I basically left it as it was.
Yes there is a sort of module but I have no clue what it is.
Sounds like you did all the right things. The gap should be about 0.010" - you can use a business card. Is the spark plug wet with fuel when it doesn't start? Have you tried putting a shot of fuel in the plug opening?

Sounds like you did all the right things. The gap should be about 0.010" - you can use a business card. Is the spark plug wet with fuel when it doesn't start? Have you tried putting a shot of fuel in the plug opening?

Yes the plug is wet when it doesn't start. I'm trying to take the flywheel off to check if it is properly set and doesn't spark when the piston is down which would make sense regarding the non firing. But at the moment the wheel is stuck in ahah

Yes the plug is wet when it doesn't start. I'm trying to take the flywheel off to check if it is properly set and doesn't spark when the piston is down which would make sense regarding the non firing. But at the moment the wheel is stuck in ahah
Buy a ten dollar Stihl flywheel puller on Ebay and save yourself a lot of grief. It sounds like you have a spun flywheel key.

Have you tried tapping on the center screw with pressure applied? Sometimes it just takes a little shock to pop the taper loose.

Yes I have tried with a plastic hammer, but nothing has moved. I'm good to order the flywheel puller, any recommendation anyone ?

Hi, I have finally received the flywheel puller and removed it.
There is a picture from what is behind it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't supposed to be something attached to this ?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200617_144206.jpg
    IMG_20200617_144206.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 9
Back