Stihl 084 starter kick back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help. I have had this Stihl 084 for 15+ years. Installed new Stihl piston and cylinder about a dozen years ago. Ran very well. In 2011, it stopped firing. Installed new flywheel (1124 400 1200), new coil (2 204 222 114) and new trigger (1118 400 1001). Saw performed really well until recently - started kicking back when cranking. Reset coil air gap to .008 - no improvement. With each rope pull, kick back occurs first time piston nears tdc. Kick back is very violent - just broke second rope. Firing shuts decompression valve, unable to apply enough force to hold decompression valve open. Woodruff key, crank and flywheel appear perfect .

Any ideas re cause and fix?
I have had an 084 forever. Last week a guy told me to put the D handle on them like the demo saws have. I called everywhere for a D handle. Each place said they had them when I asked. When I would drive there to get one, they all said they could order one. Screw that. I found a very nice one f0r $8 at Menards. No more jerking my fingers out of joint. Works nice.

I have had an 084 forever. Last week a guy told me to put the D handle on them like the demo saws have. I called everywhere for a D handle. Each place said they had them when I asked. When I would drive there to get one, they all said they could order one. Screw that. I found a very nice one f0r $8 at Menards. No more jerking my fingers out of joint. Works nice.
The ones from Stihl are$5
I got them on ported 044/046 on up.

Thanks for all the input. New Stihl coil and D-handle are on order. ETA estimate ranged from a couple work days to two weeks.

Update. Installed new Stihl 1124-400-1308 coil, no trigger, air gap about 0.012 in. Could not start engine. Set air gap to 0.008 in - engine cranked and appears to run similar to before coil failure - want to test in wood - still experiencing another issue - engine stumbles and dies at mid throttle. I may start new thread for that problem.

Well - Stihl 084 runs well at idle and full throttle, but stumbles and dies quickly at mid throttle. Symptoms started months ago and have worsened.
I'm not sure what factors would disrupt mid-throttle / rpm running at no load.

I disassembled the carb (Tillotson HT2A543). All looked ok. Did not throughly clean or remove adjustment screws. Actually, installed new air filter. I probably need to throughly clean carb.

Starter kick back issue appears resolved, by new 1308 coil. I have cranked the saw several times - nice to not experience painful kick back.

Thanks for the feedback. Re starter kick back and timing issue - appears fixed - actually runs very good with no load. But, mid-throttle issue is to be resolved.
Thanks for flooding comment - saw is flooding at start up - have to go off choke before engine fires - noticed that this afternoon. Maybe needle valve.

lol...
Thanks for the feedback. Re starter kick back and timing issue - appears fixed - actually runs very good with no load. But, mid-throttle issue is to be resolved.
Thanks for flooding comment - saw is flooding at start up - have to go off choke before engine fires - noticed that this afternoon. Maybe needle valve.

Back