• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Stihl 090G / Contra Lightning G, Bar cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, interested. Also would be interested in the plastic case protector that goes behind the sprocket if you decide to make those.

At this stage I have no idea of the price. A lot will depend on how the covers come out of the mould and what additional machining is required.
ie. bar mount holes, chain guide plate mounting holes, oil gallery and the recess to accept the chain tensioner will all need to be machined into the inside of the cover as this area will be cast solid.

I have a heap of Alcoa truck wheels, seems to be a good material to work with, i have been casting wedges out of it, sing out if you want me to cut you a heap of it up and send it your way bud.

Nice looking casting. How are you handling shrinkage? If you're using the original as a pattern I'd expect these to come out measurably smaller . (I'm a former foundry pattern maker)

Gear drive cover 001 001.JPG
Jon, this is the cover in the first post before being built up on all surfaces 2-3mm to obtain an overall thikness of 5mm (note red arrow section in comparision to pic #1) the original covers are 2.5mm, the first cover has come out of the mould spot on size wise.

Once you get it down, make extras! I'm sure people will stumble on this thread in 5-10 years and wonder if/how they can still get some. Also, if you ever vanish, sell the master on to a site sponsor.

Adding 2-3 mm to the outside edges would probably be about right, for purposes of maintaining the outside profile. If you're beefing up the broad surfaces too then you're not shooting for an exact match anyhow. Looks good.

Back