stihl 441cm hot idle/start problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey all. first post but i have been reading on here for a while. anyway, i have a stihl ms441cm that has become difficult to start and will not idle when hot. when cold it will start after a couple of pulls but once hot i can only start it with the throttle held open. it also dies when hot once i get off the throttle.

i have read through a few threads and have tried to do the mtronic reset mentioned here https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...-dies-after-idling.248682/page-4#post-4662906 but i cant get past step 1 as i cannot start it after the initial 90 seconds and i if i do it wont idle.

once going it seems to run ok.

can anyone suggest what i can do to remedy?

cheers

Give the machine service with everything that belongs to it, especially the fuel system, that`s the A and O! Also do a pressure and vaccum test on the cranckcase. It would also be good to have a look on the switching cycle of the solenoid valve. With that numbers, some things can be said in which direction the fault goes. Don`t do the reset procedure without giving the machine service. A reset is normally only nessessary if parts (like solenoid valve, control unit or carburetor) were changed. It`s not good to do this without giving the machine service, because it tunes itself to the "faulty conditions" and that will make it worse or may destroy it. Also have a look into the exhaust port if the piston or cylinder are scored.

Back