Stihl bar mount question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it simply matching the first 4 digits to ensure a Stihl bar fits a particular Stihl saw model?

Reason I'm asking is that I've just finished putting together an MS230 and I have a NOS 18" bar marked up as 3005 000 6817. It's too old to find in Mediacat or much info online for. I know it's the correct bar mount to fit the saw, but does it automatically follow that this will also be the correct alignment for the oiler channel? I'm not so sure.

And yes, I know it's too long for an MS230, but it's going on ebay, I've had the bar knocking around for ages and we all know how people like buying saws with longer bars. I'll be selling it with the disclaimer that it's good for reach but at the limit of the saw's capabilities otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Yes that should be the correct bar and yes it might be a stretch on the 230 but better suited to the 250

It is that simple - any 3005 bar will fit with the studs and the oiler of the MS230 and any other Stihl saw that has the small Stihl bar mount. If it is suitable for the saw in question is of course a different question.

Also be aware that all bars with that mount are at least an inch shorter than "called", and the 18" ones close to two inches shorter.

Thanks Fellas.

I thought it was correct, it was just a nagging doubt I had when I tried the bar on it yesterday; I don't have a chain for it yet so couldn't check its actual oiling ability.

SawTroll, yes I noticed that the visible length was nearer 17" and that the length from the dawgs (if you can even call them that on this saw) was about 16". I was even hoping I'd remembered wrong and it was a 16" bar, but the packet confirmed it to be an 18" (official Stihl length).

Fixed it:
bigdawgs.jpg

Now measures 15" from the tip of these dawgs ;)

Okay, another issue on this one I hope someone can clear up for me.

The chain I ordered to fit this saw/bar combo arrived today; 18" chain .325, .063, 68DL, all as per marked on the bar. Went to put it all together and noticed the chain seemed pretty short on the bar, tried to fit it to the saw and no chance it's going to fit, adjusted down to shortest bar position and it won't get close to fitting on the sprocket. Checked the drive count and it's 67, not 68. But like I said, this chain isn't even close, so I'm doubting that one extra drive link will make much of a difference.

I know this is an MS230 which isn't really meant to have an 18" bar on it, but even if it were an MS250, the fitment would be the same wouldn't it? Is it just the lack of one extra drive link?

Put the chain on the bar and hold the chain while the bar hangs tip down. Count the number of drivers in the small loop above the bar. If the count is less than 6 or more than 7, you'll probably have problems getting the chain on the saw (if < 6) or run out of adjustment (if > 7). On some saws even the 7 count is too long. So yes, one link can make all the difference.

Okay, another issue on this one I hope someone can clear up for me.

The chain I ordered to fit this saw/bar combo arrived today; 18" chain .325, .063, 68DL, all as per marked on the bar. Went to put it all together and noticed the chain seemed pretty short on the bar, tried to fit it to the saw and no chance it's going to fit, adjusted down to shortest bar position and it won't get close to fitting on the sprocket. Checked the drive count and it's 67, not 68. But like I said, this chain isn't even close, so I'm doubting that one extra drive link will make much of a difference.

I know this is an MS230 which isn't really meant to have an 18" bar on it, but even if it were an MS250, the fitment would be the same wouldn't it? Is it just the lack of one extra drive link?

All info have seen say that the Stihl 3005/18"/.325 bars takes 68dl, and 230 vs. 250 shouldn't matter. A very large drive sprocket will of course change the dl count, but I doubt you have that on the MS230.

67dl is the standard dl count for the 3003/16"/.325 bars.

Put the chain on the bar and hold the chain while the bar hangs tip down. Count the number of drivers in the small loop above the bar. If the count is less than 6 or more than 7, you'll probably have problems getting the chain on the saw (if < 6) or run out of adjustment (if > 7). On some saws even the 7 count is too long. So yes, one link can make all the difference.

Did as you described and there are 5 links out of the bar.

Guess I'm contacting the seller for an exchange then as I seem to have been supplied the wrong chain. Still really not sure that one more link would cure it though.

All info have seen say that the Stihl 3005/18"/.325 bars takes 68dl, and 230 vs. 250 shouldn't matter. A very large drive sprocket will of course change the dl count, but I doubt you have that on the MS230.

67dl is the standard dl count for the 3003/16"/.325 bars.

Sprocket was the only variable that I thought of after posting, but it's a Stihl 7t spur, so I can't see how this would be an issue.

Thanks both!

Spoke to the seller (business), very apologetic and is getting the correct chain out to me. So hopefully my doubts will be proven wrong when it arrives.:)

I recently found that the old small mount stihl bars will not fit on the 017-MS 251. The mount slot is too short and there is no oil hole, the oil goes through the adjuster holes. A new 3005 small mount bar will fit just fine on an 009-020AV.

I recently found that the old small mount stihl bars will not fit on the 017-MS 251. The mount slot is too short and there is no oil hole, the oil goes through the adjuster holes. A new 3005 small mount bar will fit just fine on an 009-020AV.

Maybe that's why this bar is NLA then? Update:

Received the replacement chain today, with the correct 68 DL and this is where I'm at:

IMG_20140514_125141.jpg

It would indeed fit if the slot was longer. Don't know about the oiler alignment, I'll check later. Sucks all the same:mad:

Yes. That is definitely the old style small mount bar. And no, the oil holes will not line up. You will need a current 3005 18" bar to fit your 68DL chain.

I believe the same holds true for the 074 Oregon mount as well. I got one of the earlier ones and the bar is not wide enough near the rear end to install an oil hole. Why they didn't create another number is kind of a mystrey to me. Just looking on ebay it seems to me some of the 3005 bars are not as wide where the oil hole goes or would go. I think Stihl in this mount has done some research and favored the widest part farther back. Perhaps this is why they seem to plunge cut well. I am using picco ones not 0.325.

I learn something every day. I like this. One thing to add is : I have several Stihl 056 Magnum II saws They are slower than the "NEWER" saws and run considerably slower but really have the torque. Stihl put an 8 tooth rim instead of the 7 that most saws run. I run a 24" 63 ga bar most of the time and the bar designates 84 DL but I always put a chain on with 85 DL due to the rim sprocket having the extra tooth. I have always assumed bars designate Drive Links with 7 tooth spur or rim drives.

I learn something every day. I like this. One thing to add is : I have several Stihl 056 Magnum II saws They are slower than the "NEWER" saws and run considerably slower but really have the torque. Stihl put an 8 tooth rim instead of the 7 that most saws run. I run a 24" 63 ga bar most of the time and the bar designates 84 DL but I always put a chain on with 85 DL due to the rim sprocket having the extra tooth. I have always assumed bars designate Drive Links with 7 tooth spur or rim drives.
I should have read the rest of the thread.. Seems everything I said is redundant.

84DL on a 24" Husky bar is fine with an 8 pin.

Latest posts

Back