STIHL CHAINSAW EXPERT NEEDED

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMUSTANGMAN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a fan of Stihls. Have been for a while. I have several, but I am down to my 029 as my last one running. I'll list my others here and what I "think" I know might be wrong with them. Any and all help on how to fix it would be great. I want one of my big ones running again!

Stihl 029:
My faithful little "trim saw" with 16" bar. I've been using it for everything since its the only one still running.

Stihl 045 AV:
My dad used this for years til somebody put the wrong mix fuel in it. I think it got 16:1 or 32:1 instead of 50:1. Once it shut off, we realized what had happened. This was like 20 years ago and it hasn't been fooled with since.

Stihl 046 Magnum:
Best $100 bill I ever spent. Bought it at a pawn shop and used it for about 10 years. It broke a piece of carbon loose from the compression release and scored the cyl wall. I bought a new piston/cyl and put it in. It ran good for about 1-2 hours run time after that, then acted like it locked up. Not sure what's up with that.

Stihl 064:
Kind of stumbled into this one. I was at a pawn shop looking at a log splitter for $600. I told him I would take it if he would throw in the 064 I saw on the shelf. I was shocked when they said "deal!" haha I used it only a few times before it quit running on me. Just kind of slowed down and stopped. after that it would crank over, but not try to start. Would LOVE to get this one going.

Stihl 075:
What can you say about a saw that has a 111cc motor? haha My grandpa bought this when he logged off some of his timber in Vermont. He gave it to me before he passed away. It didn't run when I got it from him, but I would LOVE to have it going for nostalgia more than anything. But you better believe I'd use it if I had it running.

Ok, best case there is a Stihl expert near me here in East TN that would help me look at them. Sure, I could take them to a shop and "have them fixed", but I want to do it myself. I need a little guidance to get going, and then I'm confident I could handle it. I've always worked on my own stuff. I've rebuilt several motors for other stuff, but chainsaws are a new field for me. If there isn't a nearby guru that can help, can anybody point me in the direction of where to start? Which of what I described would be the (possibly) easiest to fix? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hello all. I'm a fan of Stihls. Have been for a while. I have several, but I am down to my 029 as my last one running. I'll list my others here and what I "think" I know might be wrong with them. Any and all help on how to fix it would be great. I want one of my big ones running again!

Stihl 029:
My faithful little "trim saw" with 16" bar. I've been using it for everything since its the only one still running.

Stihl 045 AV:
My dad used this for years til somebody put the wrong mix fuel in it. I think it got 16:1 or 32:1 instead of 50:1. Once it shut off, we realized what had happened. This was like 20 years ago and it hasn't been fooled with since.

Stihl 046 Magnum:
Best $100 bill I ever spent. Bought it at a pawn shop and used it for about 10 years. It broke a piece of carbon loose from the compression release and scored the cyl wall. I bought a new piston/cyl and put it in. It ran good for about 1-2 hours run time after that, then acted like it locked up. Not sure what's up with that.

Stihl 064:
Kind of stumbled into this one. I was at a pawn shop looking at a log splitter for $600. I told him I would take it if he would throw in the 064 I saw on the shelf. I was shocked when they said "deal!" haha I used it only a few times before it quit running on me. Just kind of slowed down and stopped. after that it would crank over, but not try to start. Would LOVE to get this one going.

Stihl 075:
What can you say about a saw that has a 111cc motor? haha My grandpa bought this when he logged off some of his timber in Vermont. He gave it to me before he passed away. It didn't run when I got it from him, but I would LOVE to have it going for nostalgia more than anything. But you better believe I'd use it if I had it running.

Ok, best case there is a Stihl expert near me here in East TN that would help me look at them. Sure, I could take them to a shop and "have them fixed", but I want to do it myself. I need a little guidance to get going, and then I'm confident I could handle it. I've always worked on my own stuff. I've rebuilt several motors for other stuff, but chainsaws are a new field for me. If there isn't a nearby guru that can help, can anybody point me in the direction of where to start? Which of what I described would be the (possibly) easiest to fix? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
If you want rid of the 064 I’ve got the $ / or work something out ... thanks !

harleyT,
I'll try to get some pics this weekend. The 045 and 075, are out at my dads, but I should be able to get some pics of the 064 and 046. I'm pretty sure its not at the chain brake or clutch on the 046. The chain still turns free by hand and the clutch doesn't seem to have any problems. However, when I pull the cord, it stops dead. Won't turn over at all. :(

Bernard,
forgive my ignorance, but can you spell out "p&c" for me? I'm assuming one of them is compression. what else am I looking for?

Grizz55chev,
what do you mean by "straight gassed"? the 046 has always had the correct mix in it. The only one that received the incorrect mix was the 045 AV; and even then it was more oil than it should have been; not more gas... Can you clarify?

Frank Rizzo,
Thanks, but for now I really want to fix it and keep it. If that changes I'll let you know. :)

Frank Rizzo,
Thanks, but for now I really want to fix it and keep it. If that changes I'll let you know. :)
Ok I hear ya man ... those are sought-after saws by guys who cut lots and lots of wood (that wood Be me lol)... can be bumped up to 99cc IF the guy has the skills ... any ? Send me a pm maybe I can help ya out

467F31FF-802C-4252-9911-266F4A850390.jpeg There’s mine with a velocity-stack and k n clamp on filter ... he’s looking for a brother lol

Asked for experts and got a bunch of saw hoarders, lol.

Saws of this quality usually don't seize up unless they've been straight gassed or have developed an air leak which is generally caused by the crank seals going bad.
I could see the problem being oil ratio to rich if the wrong oil was used.

harleyT,
I'll try to get some pics this weekend. The 045 and 075, are out at my dads, but I should be able to get some pics of the 064 and 046. I'm pretty sure its not at the chain brake or clutch on the 046. The chain still turns free by hand and the clutch doesn't seem to have any problems. However, when I pull the cord, it stops dead. Won't turn over at all. :(

Bernard,
forgive my ignorance, but can you spell out "p&c" for me? I'm assuming one of them is compression. what else am I looking for?

Grizz55chev,
what do you mean by "straight gassed"? the 046 has always had the correct mix in it. The only one that received the incorrect mix was the 045 AV; and even then it was more oil than it should have been; not more gas... Can you clarify?
My mistake, guess I read it wrong, too much oil would just make it smoke like a freight train till you put the correct mix in the tank, and probably make it a weak runner. Should not cause any lasting damage. Installing a piston and cylinder without doing a pressure-vacuum test is a crap shoot.:cool:

Asked for experts and got a bunch of saw hoarders, lol.

Saws of this quality usually don't seize up unless they've been straight gassed or have developed an air leak which is generally caused by the crack seals going bad.
I could see the problem being oil ratio to rich if the wrong oil was used.
Saw hoarders ? Dude I’ve cut and processed a lot of wood and know how to make em rip - know my way around the STIHL family of saws very well thank you very much !

Take your meds, wait an hour, then read again.
I woodnt be beating on my chest too much there junior ... lotsa guys on here that can build ;rebuild ; repair ; modify and do custom machining on these STIHLS - not just YOU ! Lmfao

Mods,

Do we really need this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yah , well tape don’t lie pal ... if you’re gonna try and Pearl Harbor this Cat then best be prepared to get Hiroshima’d

I woodnt be beating on my chest too much there junior ... lotsa guys on here that can build ;rebuild ; repair ; modify and do custom machining on these STIHLS - not just YOU ! Lmfao
did you not read the thread title, the op was looking for a saw expert which don't apply to you. Go solicit for hotsaws somewhere else

Latest posts

Back