Stihl vs Oregon presets for .404 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to rework some Stihl .404 carbide chain and so will be entering the world of spinning my own. Stihl presets seem to be harder to find, at least online, and certainly more expensive. One vendor told me his Oregon .404 presets will fit Stihl .404 chain. Most of what I've read here suggests Stihl chain is unique, and other presets will not fit, however I came across this tidbit in an old post:

"...This is because most STIHL drive links start out at .063 and are only swaged/thinned at the bottom part that fits into the guide bar groove. There will always be exceptions..."

Is this one of those exceptions? Will the Oregon .404 fit Stihl .404 because Oregon is .063 at that pitch so the rivets are long enough to fit the Stihl chain? Or is the vendor full of crap?

Can't advise on 404 chain but all other sizes of chain Stihl/Blount pre sets are NOT interchangeable Stihl sets have a larger dia pin than Blount so stihl won't go through Blount D Llinks & Blount rattle about in Stihl like the "wotsit" in a top hat & as said in Post#2 stick with brand for brand Flying broken loops are not fun

Best to use OEM. Sometimes, other brands will fit, but there can even be different / incompatible parts of the same brand (e.g. not all Oregon 1/2" pitch parts are the same). Some low profile or narrow kerf tie straps will 'fit', but do not have the same strength.

.404 and carbide suggest heavy stress loads, but not common chain - might be some other differences as well. Should be able to order the correct parts from any STIHL dealer - they have many catalog pages / computer screens full of parts for all of the chains they make, including many no longer sold new. STIHL parts are usually not sold on-line, unless by a reseller, close outs, etc.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back