Strapping a 460 jug on a 044?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caddguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is involved in retro fitting a 440 OEM jug and piston on a 044 with a 12mm crank? I know there has been other who put 46BB kits on an 044...but what about a OEM 460 P&C?

Last edited:
What is involved in retro fitting a 440 OEM jug and piston on a 044 with a 12mm crank? I know there has been other who put 46BB kits on an 044...but what about a OEM 460 P&C?

putting a oem 440 on the 044 will be a straight bolt up ,maybe pluggin the decomp or looking for the 440 cover to fit up,460oem to 044 ,plenty here have done it with success,personally i went for the aftermarket 044bb kit which is a straight forward bolt on ,the ports needed work ,but thats what i was after,search 044 gamble and you'll find it,:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

grind a little off one of the transfer humps to clear the flywheel, slot the bolt holes to match the 044 pattern(very little needs to be removed) and take a little off one side of the base so it can seat flush with the case, and take a little out of the flap inside the top cover to clear the fins on the cylinder. takes less than an hour to make it fit properly.

If I am slotting the bolt holes, how does the bore get centered and lined up correctly? Seems like it would not take much to throw things outta balance!
Doesn't the piston skirt have a problem goin down into the crankcase? Seems like I remember a thread talking about removing material from the top of the crankcase bore area for clearance...?

Last edited:
If I am slotting the bolt holes, how does the bore get centered and lined up correctly? Seems like it would not take much to throw things outta balance!
Doesn't the piston skirt have a problem goin down into the crankcase? Seems like I remember a thread talking about removing material from the top of the crankcase bore area for clearance...?

No problem with the skirt clearance that Im aware of. To slot your holes, take the 044 base gasket and put it on the bottom of the 046 jug and mark the holes. You can see how much needs to be removed easily that way.

that thread was a 046bb from baileys being put on an 044. the piston would hit the case with the 046 top end it clears just fine. to get things centered you just put your 044 gasket on the 046 cylinder and mark the holes and slot them out with a round chain file. Just center the bore of the gasket with the cylinder

Sounds like I will purchase a new OEM 046 piston and jug then. I am tired of the BB quality issue. Once I get it strapped on I am gonna break it in and have either Brad or Treeslinger port it for me. Then I am done worring about a saw for awhile I think :biggrinbounce2:

i have done two of the 044 to 460 swaps with OEM parts.

the only thing i had to machine was the bolt holes on the jugs--and that could have been done with a saw file just as easy.

no issues with the OEM jug hitting anything. on mine i added a 046 muffler it required some washers for two of the bolts. the carb will have to be tuned for the bigger jug/piston.

now everybody hates the aftermarket big bore jug kit. personally i don"t think their that bad. i may build the 046 big bore 044 kit one of these days. the aftermarket stuff does require a bit more fitting of the jug to the case as it has a tendency to bump into things. and the 046 big bore will require the case be trimmed for the over-sized piston.

the 044 to 440 should be a snap--

Mahl still makin' Stihl Cylinders?

Is Mahl still the maker of all OEM Stihl cylinders?
Where are the casting letters usually supposed to be?

Is Mahl still the maker of all OEM Stihl cylinders?
Where are the casting letters usually supposed to be?

well that is what i used. but my parts were sort of on the old side.

the first saw i built used a meteor piston the second one has a stihl piston and jug.

a used OEM jug is not that expensive.

they come up all the time on flea-bay for around $50-$60.

the standard 046 piston 52mm has no problems fitting in the 044/440 case.

add a meteor piston if you can't get a good OEM unit with the 046 jug.

this fellow did a 046 bib bore 044 a while back--

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=89083&highlight=martinm210

Last edited:
So would I be better off buying a used Mahl or a new Stihl P&C?

I see a few on flea bay....

If I buy aftermarket...no one will port it then though.....I don't have the tools to do the porting work and I always wanted to have a real solid work saw.

Back