Super Split 4way wedge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Splitter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone out there tried a 4-way wedge on their super split SS? if so which 4-way did you buy? How did it work, thanks guys.

I bought my super split last year thign was 30+ years old and runs strong still!

Did you watch to the end? The 4 way just rests over the original wedge.
I don't have one. It seems a fellow could make a tall one, and a couple of 4 ways. Change at any time.
Keep warm.
N

Or,you do what TW does with their four way-They have the wings off center and they flip it over...

I think the first thing to consider is what model do you have. J, HD, or an SE? The J model would likely not do that well with a 4 way. The HD would do ok, and the SE would likely do fairly well, which brings me to my other point....

What type of wood are you splitting and how long do you process it to?

If its straight grained stuff that's only 12"-16" long and 8-"12" diameter, then I think a 4 way could work. Anything with knots, large in diameter, or longer in length may be too much to ask.

Personally, I feel the Supersplit is fast enough, why complicate it with a 4 way that could make it more dangerous, produce odd size splits, and is prone to damaging the machine. With a single wedge, one person can do up to about a cord an hour if the wood is already in rounds. How much faster do you really need to go?

That's my SS J model with 4 way in the video. The SS design is all about a short narrow wedge. The 4 way wedge in the video I made was removable and just slid over the existing wedge so I could single split nasty wood. I don't recommend a taller wedge on a SS. The guy I bought my conveyor from put a large 6 way wedge on his very old SS that had a high speed flyweel, I believe the flywheel ran at engine speed, 3600rpm and had a gear reduction to the rack. I sold the 4 way wedge a while back to help fund a Box wedge diesel special edition project about 5 years ago. Life got busy and the project went on the back burner. Hopefully I can find some time to shoot a video of the box wedge this weekend, it's fast! My original intent was to make the wedge bolt on so I could switch between single and box wedge but for the sake of time and trying out the new wedge I just welded it on the beam. I'm shooting for under 15 min a cord in nice wood.

That's my SS J model with 4 way in the video. The SS design is all about a short narrow wedge. The 4 way wedge in the video I made was removable and just slid over the existing wedge so I could single split nasty wood. I don't recommend a taller wedge on a SS. The guy I bought my conveyor from put a large 6 way wedge on his very old SS that had a high speed flyweel, I believe the flywheel ran at engine speed, 3600rpm and had a gear reduction to the rack. I sold the 4 way wedge a while back to help fund a Box wedge diesel special edition project about 5 years ago. Life got busy and the project went on the back burner. Hopefully I can find some time to shoot a video of the box wedge this weekend, it's fast! My original intent was to make the wedge bolt on so I could switch between single and box wedge but for the sake of time and trying out the new wedge I just welded it on the beam. I'm shooting for under 15 min a cord in nice wood.

I feel its important to notify the uninitiated that its a heavily modified J model.

Back