Tap and cut firewood marker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooperforeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the plans to make one? It looks simple enough,just like a T-shaped handle with a slot for the
marking powder.I wonder how wide a slot needs to be cut in the pipe,would a hacksaw kerf be wide enough?

You got a link or video or something?

I've got an idea how such a thing might work, but not sure.

Mr. HE:cool:

Glue one up! Start with one hacksaw kerf width, try it out, you can always make it larger. I haven't made one, but a T, screw cap on one end to add marking chalk, close end cap with a cut on the other.

That looks cool. I might put one together to try and see what the crew thinks. Cheap enough that if they don't use it I'm not out much.

Mr. HE:cool:

Yeah,I'm just going to go ahead and make one...I'll experiment with the slot and see how it works.

I think I'll have to make one up - love my Mingo most of the time but not all brands of marking paint nozzles work well with it - in fact the most common brand around here (Rustoleum) does not - end up ordering from Mcmaster to find a brand that works well. Powder might be a bit messy but then again the paint markers are messy too.

Best thing I've found yet is the "firewood buddy". It's a 16" fiberglass stick with a really strong magnet on the end. You can just stick it to the side of your bar to go down a log and make quick saw marks, then pull it off and you're good to go! Cost me about $14 on the evilbay.

OK, got mine made. I already had everything laying about, so no expense at all. Just need a few caps to make a second one.

I modified mine a bit - I went with a longer handle, and I made my T offset, so that the longer portion would smack against the wood harder, also making it easier to hit the mark more accurately.

IMG_7750.JPG

The big modification is in the final cap. Everything is all glued up except one. That one is where I fill with chalk, but it's also where I cut the slot (bandsaw). This can be pulled off to load, BUT it can also be pushed in to seal off the slot completely so you don't get chalk all over everything. Another added benefit is that you can twist the cap for left and right handed use however you like. Much better design, IMHO. You're welcome. Send your payments directly to my home address.

IMG_7751.JPG

OK, got mine made. I already had everything laying about, so no expense at all. Just need a few caps to make a second one.

I modified mine a bit - I went with a longer handle, and I made my T offset, so that the longer portion would smack against the wood harder, also making it easier to hit the mark more accurately.

View attachment 359095

The big modification is in the final cap. Everything is all glued up except one. That one is where I fill with chalk, but it's also where I cut the slot (bandsaw). This can be pulled off to load, BUT it can also be pushed in to seal off the slot completely so you don't get chalk all over everything. Another added benefit is that you can twist the cap for left and right handed use however you like. Much better design, IMHO. You're welcome. Send your payments directly to my home address.

View attachment 359096
I made one and it works awesome. Under $10 including the "husky" orange chalk.

That's a great idea with the slot in the end cap...What size PVC did you use?

You guys still using the tap and cut? The website is no longer there, just searching for a way to mark wood and came across this thread.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I found that the cap would get gunked up and wouldn't slide in and out very easily. Also the chalk would get clogged in the pipe so I would have to rattle it around a bit. Maybe 1" pipe would be better, and keep the saw cut on the pipe and don't fool with the cap.

It's still a good tool, but now I use a 16" dowel rod (painted bright yellow with a cord on the end for hanging), and a little camping saw to cut a line on the wood. Just as fast and foolproof.

Back