Tap and cut firewood marker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put a line on my bar at 18" from the tip and eye ball it.

JT

I use several different methods, rods mounted on saw, stick carried in the off hand, the one time I pre measured and marked I saw that it was nothing but wasted time. You don't get very far down even a slightly crooked log before adjustments for crooks, knots, crotches have all subsequent marks way off guage.

Summary - waste of time to premark.
Harry K

I need
OK, got mine made. I already had everything laying about, so no expense at all. Just need a few caps to make a second one.

I modified mine a bit - I went with a longer handle, and I made my T offset, so that the longer portion would smack against the wood harder, also making it easier to hit the mark more accurately.

View attachment 359095

The big modification is in the final cap. Everything is all glued up except one. That one is where I fill with chalk, but it's also where I cut the slot (bandsaw). This can be pulled off to load, BUT it can also be pushed in to seal off the slot completely so you don't get chalk all over everything. Another added benefit is that you can twist the cap for left and right handed use however you like. Much better design, IMHO. You're welcome. Send your payments directly to my home address.

View attachment 359096

good idea

I have marked stuff that is over 36" round, so you fairly even cuts. But now I just eyeball and try make it as close to 20" long as I can. Stove can fit 24". You are bound to end up with short stuff, and I am not that OCD about firewood length. Plus short stuff fits the gaps where I need it, and my wife likes short wood, easier to handle....

Latest posts

Back