The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been tinkering with this 10-10 for the past few days.I couldn't get any spark & when I finally did by putting a chip in it,it was inconsistent.Today while holding the plug boot & the saw while my son turned the engine over with a drill,I had an epiphany as I got juiced.The coil wire was bad.I took this coil off a parts saw which had spark.The coil wire was run between two cooling fins & after yrs.of vibration,it wore through the insulation.I put a coil on it from a 2-10 & had lots of consistent spark with the chip.I'll have to check the gap on the points again.After finishing up with the spark issue,I put the recoil on & put some fuel down the carb & gave it a few pulls - nothing.So I took the plug out & put a shot of fuel in the cylinder.A few more pulls & she fired up.So,here's a pic of the ugly step-sister.Maybe I can turn her into a Cinderella?Nah
Ed

thumbnail.jpg

I'm still working on the 10-10 in the pic above.I changed out te tank/handle assembly to a PM 10-10 tank handle.In the process I had to take the cover off the oil tank to access the front screw.When I opened the tank up there was this black "button" stuck to the tank.I looked in the tank to see where it might've come from & couldn't find anything out of place therer.I also looked at an IPL to see if this part was listed & I couldn't find a thing.It was suggested to me that it might be part of the oil cap,so tomorrow I'm going to have a look at my other 10-10 oil caps.
Ed

I'm currently working on changing over a tank handle on an older 10-10A to the newer PM10-10 tank handle simply because I can't find the older domed style air filters,& if I do find one the price is astronomical.I have another 10-10A to do the same thing to & three 2-10's.
I've had many conflicting suggestions as to what I should use as a gasket on the fuel tank as the tank handles that I've purchased either don't have a gasket,or if it does it's in pretty rough shape.I've been told to use cork material to make the gasket & I've been told to use Felpro Karropak gasket material.Then I've been told to not use a sealer & then I've been told to use a skim coat of Threebond,or Yamabond4.I need the correct info.
Ed

O ring material,great idea Brian!What do you use to glue the ends together,& what size O ring material?I take it there's no sealer involved.Also what do you use to seal the air box?
Ed

I noticed the Vitron gaskets too,& they're very competitively priced too at $12.75,but when I have 5 saws to do it can get to be pricey.I think if I buy a roll of Felpro Karropak for the price of one Vitron gasket I'd be much better off.I just need to know if I should use a sealant on it or not.Many thanks to everyone for their advice & great ideas!
Ed

No sealant needed with a Fel-Pro gasket. Just a very sharp X-Acto knife. One method with the Fel-Pro instead of tracing and cutting a gasket to shape is to simply cut a straight piece from the edge of the sheet at the correct width for the tank recess. Work it into the tank notch and join the ends with a dab of Indian Head shellac or other suitable sealant. Let dry, and don't look back. One sheet of Fel-Pro can make a lot of 10-10 tank gaskets using that method. Can't recall for sure, but I believe it may have been Tim (fossil) who offered up that little tip a while back. Works great.

No sealant needed with a Fel-Pro gasket. Just a very sharp X-Acto knife. One method with the Fel-Pro instead of tracing and cutting a gasket to shape is to simply cut a straight piece from the edge of the sheet at the correct width for the tank recess. Work it into the tank notch and join the ends with a dab of Indian Head shellac or other suitable sealant. Let dry, and don't look back. One sheet of Fel-Pro can make a lot of 10-10 tank gaskets using that method. Can't recall for sure, but I believe it may have been Tim (fossil) who offered up that little tip a while back. Works great.

Karropak is a rubber impregnated paper and is very good for flat surfaces but maximum thickness in that line is only 1/16" so it's not really suited for the channel in the 10 series. I use the 1/32" for all my homemade flat surface gaskets and 1/64" for cylinder base gaskets

I use a strip cut from cork gasket. I use a steel ruler and an exacto knife to cut the strip and some Motoseal at the ends.

I would like to try the nitrile square profile "O" ring material as that would be the best I think. Not economically available to me though and the cork seems to work fine.

@Brian Thacker ,

Do you use square profile or round profile "O" ring on yours and what diameter is it?

Back