Unprofessional?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like your opinions on something...

I had a guy come out yesterday to give me an estimate on taking down the holly tree and a pecan tree.
We also discussed cleaning up other small stuff like privet and red buds.

To make a long story short (because I tried to post the detailed version 10 minutes ago and it disappeared! ), he called me back this morning and asked if I "wanted to discuss business." I said sure, but told him the cost for taking down the trees isn't in my budget at this time (he had said doing the other work was contingent on him taking down the trees.)

We were back an forth about what was included in the price and at one point I told him I would make a detailed list so I know what work will be done for what price.
he says to me, "You're a good looking woman. I want to help you out. I can do "a lot" of it for $300 to $400."

I had to bite my tongue and not say, "Thank god I'm not butt-ugly, or you'd rob me blind?"

Then he says, "Don't wear your boxer shorts when we come out, or we won't get any work done."
WTF?
I know I look good for my age, but I also know I'm not what I used to be.
I am also a professional and was dressed for work when he was here.

He said he would call me back today around noon to set up a time to come out.
I'm thinking no friggin way.

What should I say to this guy when he calls back?

Btw, there aren't a lot of other options around here... which is why I'm considering buying a chain saw. :cool:

Tell em to pound sand and maybe reach out and see if there are any local AS members near you or a get together (GTG) where you might be able to get a work group together to help you out. Nobody deserves that treatment and especially someone you want to give your money to for a job for them to say pretty much don't wear your skimpy shorts because we'll be staring.......... In my opinion that's unacceptable for anyone to let alone a business owner. Best of luck with your project ma'am

I'd like your opinions on something...

I had a guy come out yesterday to give me an estimate on taking down the holly tree and a pecan tree.
We also discussed cleaning up other small stuff like privet and red buds.

To make a long story short (because I tried to post the detailed version 10 minutes ago and it disappeared! ), he called me back this morning and asked if I "wanted to discuss business." I said sure, but told him the cost for taking down the trees isn't in my budget at this time (he had said doing the other work was contingent on him taking down the trees.)

We were back an forth about what was included in the price and at one point I told him I would make a detailed list so I know what work will be done for what price.
he says to me, "You're a good looking woman. I want to help you out. I can do "a lot" of it for $300 to $400."

I had to bite my tongue and not say, "Thank god I'm not butt-ugly, or you'd rob me blind?"

Then he says, "Don't wear your boxer shorts when we come out, or we won't get any work done."
WTF?
I know I look good for my age, but I also know I'm not what I used to be.
I am also a professional and was dressed for work when he was here.

He said he would call me back today around noon to set up a time to come out.
I'm thinking no friggin way.

What should I say to this guy when he calls back?

Btw, there aren't a lot of other options around here... which is why I'm considering buying a chain saw. :cool:
Say I'm not doing it now is all. That dude is way over the line with all that.

Jeez...I think I'd tell 'pimp daddy', 'player' tree-cutter to hit the road. I can picture it now...'Player' shows up at your house looking like Travolta on Sat Night Fever, wielding a saw in each hand...little disco ball hanging from his rear view mirror...Lmao.

As you mentioned in your Chainsaw thread, which there have been a few other posts made, myself included...you've run a saw before. I'd go for the saw (new MS-170) and handle it yourself.

Jeez...I think I'd tell 'pimp daddy', 'player' tree-cutter to hit the road. I can picture it now...'Player' shows up at your house looking like Travolta on Sat Night Fever, wielding a saw in each hand...little disco ball hanging from his rear view mirror...Lmao.

As you mentioned in your Chainsaw thread, which there have been a few other posts made, myself included...you've run a saw before. I'd go for the saw (new MS-170) and handle it yourself.
Lucky she found out before she hired him and he started working there or he would not want to leave.

Thank you all for the comments, and advice. I really appreciate it. :cool:
I especially liked the visual with the disco ball. LoL
Btw, this guy was recommended by my insurance company. Do you think I should tell them what he said?
I think I'd leave well enough alone with 'player/stud' tree-cutter and move on. On another note, if this is the clientele being recommended by your insurance co, to have handlings and dealings with their policyholders...it might be time to re-evaluate insurance co's as well. Of course insurance co's have zero clue as to how true idiots are going to act, professional or otherwise, in the general public. Juss sayin'.

Thank you all for the comments, and advice. I really appreciate it. :cool:
I especially liked the visual with the disco ball. LoL
Btw, this guy was recommended by my insurance company. Do you think I should tell them what he said?
Absolutely tell them. And find out where they know him from in case he is related to one of them.

And find out where they know him from in case he is related to one of them. +10

Reflects poorly also on the ins company, they are open for liability if the guy ever does anything physically inappropriate with a customer. The ins company WANTS to know about this type behavior.

Company I work for if an employee said similar as the bozo to a customer they would be fired for cause.

Is cussing allowed on this forum? Probably not. I'll restrain myself...

You will NOT believe what this "idiot" did while I was at work today!!!!! he came on my property, cut up a HUGE hickory trunk and moved it to a brush pile in my back yard. When I say Huge, I mean four or five 8' sections more than 6' in diameter. That sh-stuff will take years to burn!
I had been working on that area for five years, flower beds at both ends and volunteer pears , trimmed nicely, along the length. All destroyed - along with a few palonia trees and Japanese iris beds.

Ohh got to go I hear him in the yard now - he's come back for his equipment. I called the Sheriff's out here twice on him already.

I'll be back...

You will NOT believe what this "idiot" did while I was at work today!!!!! he came on my property, cut up a HUGE hickory trunk and moved it to a brush pile in my back yard. When I say Huge, I mean four or five 8' sections more than 6' in diameter. That sh-stuff will take years to burn!
I had been working on that area for five years, flower beds at both ends and volunteer pears , trimmed nicely, along the length. All destroyed - along with a few palonia trees and Japanese iris beds.

Ohh got to go I hear him in the yard now - he's come back for his equipment. I called the Sheriff's out here twice on him already.

I'll be back...
Sounds to me like 'Rico Suave' tree-cutter is doing what he wants on your property. You didn't by chance entertain a written or verbal contract with 'Travolta' did ya...???...I certainly hope not. After all this advice...!!!

Spot on posts fellas...no telling how this idiot is...probably geeked up...be my take on it. I have no idea how any later conversations she may have had with this fool may have played out...get the law there now, for her sake. She made the right move from her previous post.

I'll be back...
Take lots of pictures. Video him ,that kind of proof in court is irrefutable.

Back