Use the MS880 for the first time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the 41" bar. What a powerful machine. I brought it out for the giant Ponderosa Pine that was fallen several months ago. Bar was fully buried in this very green tree and never slowed down. That being said; what a PITA these big bars are. I was working on a slope, the ground was riddled with the remnants of the branch bucking, and the bar made wielding the saw awkward at best. I am use to simply pulling out the B&C with my arms, but the the 41" you have to take a step or two.

Q: Difficult to get started -- Why, and will it get better as it is broken in?. Last 2 times I cold started it, the machine became flooded. I have NOT made any adjustments to the carburetor and I am running Stihl MotoMix. Once warmed up the saw started easily enough. Just cold starting it is a minor problem

Flooding is usually due to the carb. I don’t have any experience with stihl but there should be high and low jet adjustments.

There are many guides on adjusting a carb on YouTube and here... but for such an expensive machine you may want to bring it to a pro for adjustment.

Most likely your issue is too rich of a low key setting.. when it idles it loads up on fuel/oil in the crank case and eventually floods. This will be even more prevelant when the engine is warm as it will need less fuel then.

Spark plug gap should be set to spec, too small a gap can sometimes cause fouling of the plug

I did look at the plug and with my poorly calibrated eyes it did look a bit small. I'll measure and fix accordingly. I'll attempt to back off the low jet as well. Idles great, revs quickly and chews up wood like I have never seen (once I get it started). Now that the saw's is no longer a virgin, it is time to get out the screw driver and get it right. It is a rather specialty saw to me, and not to be used a lot. I will likely get a shorter bar, and then it can become part of the round up. The 461 feels like a toy after the 880. :)

FYI backing the screw out makes it rich and turning it in makes it lean :)

I would highly suggest reading some guides and watching a few videos before screwing around.
Other things that can make the saw rich which I forgot to mention is a dirty needle seat and or worn out diaphragm for the needle inside the carb. If a saw sits too long without use or with ethanol in the gas it will cause the rubber/nylon diaphragm to harden.

Good luck

I would work on starting procedures before touching carb. If it has limiter caps, and it should, all you can do is lean it.
Maybe too much. 3 pulls on choke should give you that false start, then one down on the control.If no pop on third, take it off choke.

And MotoMix DOES NOT last as long as they want you to believe.
Sealed in the can, yes, it lasts, once open, I treat it like regular fuel.
But that’s my opinion.

I would work on starting procedures before touching carb. If it has limiter caps, and it should, all you can do is lean it.
Maybe too much. 3 pulls on choke should give you that false start, then one down on the control.If no pop on third, take it off choke.

And MotoMix DOES NOT last as long as they want you to believe.
Sealed in the can, yes, it lasts, once open, I treat it like regular fuel.
But that’s my opinion.

That is interesting.
Not to over side-track the thread but can you elaborate... did you experience something in particular with it not staying fresh?

My Neighbor recently gave me 4.5 gallons of the stuff as he's packing up to move away.
Now I'm thinking about that half can and how old it might be.
I use Trufuel often (cheaper and 40:1). Have left it in my "little" saw for months and never had a problem.
The Motomix looks really light in color... It smells worse too.

First cold start choke on then decomp valve pushed in then pull cord until it fires then make shore you dont try to start it again with the choke on or it will flood the saw.Start the saw in the start position only.I repeat do not try to start again with the choke on or you will never get it going my MS880 is a dog io start if flooded.

That is interesting.
Not to over side-track the thread but can you elaborate... did you experience something in particular with it not staying fresh?

My Neighbor recently gave me 4.5 gallons of the stuff as he's packing up to move away.
Now I'm thinking about that half can and how old it might be.
I use Trufuel often (cheaper and 40:1). Have left it in my "little" saw for months and never had a problem.
The Motomix looks really light in color... It smells worse too.

Yes. I've had problem with homeowner equipment not starting until its dumped and fresh added. Also some lazy fire squads. They should know better
and run equipment bi monthly. It does have a strange smell. I thought it was aviation fuel, which should last forever, but I've been told no, by different sources
within Stihl.
Most pros cant afford it and don't really need it.

Latest posts

Back