Economical Two Saw Combos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just my opinion, and I admit that I am wrong just as much as the next guy, but I seriously feel that any saw under 45cc is a specialty saw you only own for a specific reason. Like a bucket saw or a TSI saw you're going to pack all day. 45cc should be the minimum for a firewood saw and 50cc is better. Then something bigger for the big stuff.
I use my 3800Redmax to cut Red Cedar, I haven't found a better tool for the job. At nine pounds with 3/8 low profile chisel chain it gets the job done with little strain on me and the saw. It is the saw I use to cut paths though the woods too. My "wicked" 2253 cuts faster but does not get more work done.

Well there you go, I told you I was usually wrong. But do you burn red cedar for firewood?
Oh no, not firewood and your not wrong. I sell it to the Amish. He has a scale but 45 to 50 posts usually brings me about $200. I cut the posts eight foot. Anything that will make a 2x6 gets sawed. I stopped cutting for the summer. Call me a woose but the ticks and the disease they carry made be stop till fall.

I cut most of my firewood with 40cc class saws, running lo pro chain (narrower kerf). I heat exclusively with wood. My "big saw" used to be my 46cc Poulan with a 20" bar (which is ported now and decently fast). I now have a 62cc saw with a 25" bar, and that is a nice upgrade for the occasional large tree that comes down. But I could heat my home easily with my 42cc Poulan/Craftsman with an 18" bar.

The thing with firewood for your own home is that saw time is the easy, fast part of the job. The sooner you finish cutting the sooner you have to get to work for real.

This is just my opinion, and I admit that I am wrong just as much as the next guy, but I seriously feel that any saw under 88cc is a specialty saw you only own for a specific reason. Like a bucket saw or a TSI saw you're going to pack all day. 88cc should be the minimum for any saw and 94cc is better. Then something bigger for the big stuff.
That's better!

Depends on what sort of firewood. Most of our fathers and grandfathers were quite happy to have one saw. The venerable Homelite xl-12 has probably cut more firewood than any other single make. Still quite capable of putting wood in the heater.
Runners can be had under $50 regularly.

The PP5020 av would be a decent option too. With remans shipped to your door for around $120, its capable enough. Figure the cost of a 16-18" bar chain combo and it should be much better off. I bought one near new, looks like it cut up a tree or two, for $60. With an earthquake backup, that's a two saw combo for right at $100.

I'd add that the Shinsaws should almost all fall into this bargain category. Parts availability is already poor. Great saws though. Loving my 446s. Wish it had a better air filter though.

Depends on what sort of firewood. Most of our fathers and grandfathers were quite happy to have one saw. The venerable Homelite xl-12 has probably cut more firewood than any other single make. Still quite capable of putting wood in the heater.
Runners can be had under $50 regularly.

The PP5020 av would be a decent option too. With remans shipped to your door for around $120, its capable enough. Figure the cost of a 16-18" bar chain combo and it should be much better off. I bought one near new, looks like it cut up a tree or two, for $60. With an earthquake backup, that's a two saw combo for right at $100.

I'd add that the Shinsaws should almost all fall into this bargain category. Parts availability is already poor. Great saws though. Loving my 446s. Wish it had a better air filter though.
Parts availability is one reason I will keep a 42cc Poulan/Craftsman around. They made a bazillion and parts will be readily available for a long time. I know I can keep the place warm with one.

So you cut posts and clear paths but not firewood with the redmaxx?
The truth is I don't burn firewood anymore. I installed a geothermal heat pump. I figured the amp draw and put an hour meter on it and the first year it cost $320 to heat and cool the house. It also made some hot water, I don't know how much.
I do cut some firewood for my older friends but usually at there farms.

The truth is I don't burn firewood anymore. I installed a geothermal heat pump. I figured the amp draw and put an hour meter on it and the first year it cost $320 to heat and cool the house. It also made some hot water, I don't know how much.
I do cut some firewood for my older friends but usually at there farms.
Yeah! Well I installed "sheothermal and it worked rather well to keep me warm, but her pilot kept going out and it wouldn't fire back up even with good wood.

I used to regularly troll military exchanges for saw bargains. That pool's dried up now. For me VMInnovations dot com has filled that void, at least for some segments. Saw dealers around here are vultures, but there are some good ones north of here.

Were I now to have to re-equip, and $ mattered, my plan would still focus on 40 and 60 cc. With maybe a cheapie or two for backup, my prime players would be Dolmars: PS-421 for ~$315 and PS-6100 for ~$550. Just because of performance, solid construction & price.

For firewooding, the 40 cc is an important part, as Chris says, and does much of the work cutting up the large amount of wood in the tops. That's where my little RedMax GZ4000 shines, and PP4218 earns its keep. With the 61 cc Dolmar, I often have to lean on it a bit, with OEM 20" bar, to keep it down in the power-band. That's why there's a 24" bar handy now. Very serious bucking saw. Might want some depth gauge lowering.

Parts availability is one reason I will keep a 42cc Poulan/Craftsman around. They made a bazillion and parts will be readily available for a long time. I know I can keep the place warm with one.

I'll give ya that. And add that you can probably buy a whole pile of them on any CL for a few clams.

Just about ANY chainsaw can cut firewood. Sharpen up the chain on any saw you come across and start cutting. Most of us "could" get by on a fraction of the saws we have in both quantity and quality. I think if I was patient, I could come up with a good two or three saw plan for about $100 total. I have way more invested in my 10 saw plan but still cut wood with cheapo saws. Mostly because I'm testing them prior to sale... I could cut my firewood with any brand, any vintage and any size saw but I have my preferences. Sometimes people come on this forum just needing "something" to cut a bit of wood and by the time they spend a few days, they are so confused and bewildered by the need to buy only pro saws and at least three of them with one having at least 90cc. lol

Just about ANY chainsaw can cut firewood.

Sometimes people come on this forum just needing "something" to cut a bit of wood and by the time they spend a few days, they are so confused and bewildered by the need to buy only pro saws and at least three of them with one having at least 90cc. lol
Who, me??? :eek:

Not too long ago I had one saw, an 029 Super. I had that saw for ten years. :rolleyes:

Now I find myself asking total strangers if they have any "unwanted" saws laying around.

:eek:A 2 saw cheap plan were i am would set u back around $600.+ And that would be second hand old saws.
029 sell for $400-$600:(
I wont your saw prices:);)
Mind you if you know how to fix one up you can find cheaper saws but it can take a lot of time to find 1:D

A 350 husky is a good firewood saw for the homeowner. They can still be found in good shape even though they are no longer made. An 034 super or 036 Stihl can be found often in good shape and make a good firewood saw.
I picked up a well used but solid 036 Pro for $200 yesterday. For a guy on a budget it's hard to beat that single saw plan. Hopefully the budget guy never finds this forum, lest he discover the need to own a saw for every day of the week.

Latest posts

Back