Videos (or articles) for techniques on tensioning speedlines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
I can set a tight-enough line but have only done it a couple times and I had plenty of room/space & anchoring trees to work with (pretty ideal setups really) but for this project I want to make a very very steep line because I have to piece-apart a tiny Oak canopy (well, a 'pad' of the canopy not the whole thing, or even that significant a portion-of, the top), it's directly-above stuff that I don't want to hit so can set a line to a tree like 10' away, or 35' away, and I'd reallllly prefer to do the 15'-away tree as my bottom anchor for the line (so this line would be less than a 45deg angle, not so much sending the pieces anywhere just directing their freefall to ~5' or more away from natural-free-fall drop zone)

1/2" line will be anchored to the trunk of the tree, go up to the canopy-anchoring (5/8" bull line with thimbes as a 'false crotch' basically) and then to the tree 15' away (unless that's just dumb and I've gotta use that 35'-away tree) where I'll tie it to the tree, the thing is that I'm comfortable tensioning it if it's 35' away and I can really 'run into' it but with that angle / this situation I am expecting I won't be able to get sufficient tension (some sag has always been OK for my uses, this has to be pretty tight or it'd be pointless at just 15' away), I have multiple pulleys and have set them up for mechanical advantage when pulling stuff over but am unsure how to setup to tighten-down a speedline, any advice would be greatly appreciated!! (Oh I also have a hand ascender that makes for a good progress-capture which I've also used on 3:1's, I can generate a good deal of force with prusiks & pulleys but just don't know procedure for tightening a line this way, part of me was thinking to use a false crotch at the final/termination base anchor so I'd have less friction when pulling it tight so I should mention I've got more of the 5/8" and 1/2" false crotch lines and plenty of prusiks!)

Back