Was wanting to port my 2011 model 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thearchetype512

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Title pretty much sums it up and I've done the research on HOW to do it. Still probably going to get stuck lol. I was wondering who out of you have handled a ported 346xp, I mean out of the box the engines rpms mac out at 14,500 which is already insane. Curious on your thoughts on the project. Probably not a project to be undertaken in the near future as it's my secondary saw and I'm running those bastards most of a work day. Dont wanna mess up and be down a running saw.20191018_022600.jpg

A properly ported 346 IMO is the ultimate limbing/light bucking saw out there.

I’m going to politely disagree with holeycow-why throw at $$$ on a lesser saw when you can create an absolute screamer based on the 346 (or the homeowner 345/350) family.

If my entire fleet of saws was wiped out I would start over with a ported 346 NE. For a budget build you can do it on a 345/350 case.

Buy a wreck. Rebuild it top to bottom. Port IT. Not your original 346.

Throw all the work at a wreck. Then you'll have the ultimate.

You will probably need a bigger carb, for example...

I read somewhere that a 353 has more potential than a 346, for example. Someone on here has the knowledge to deny or confirm that. Not me.

Why mess with a good runner? If that saw needs a total rebuild because it is worn out, then that changes everything.

Anyway, it does sound exciting.:chainsaw:

353 propably have some potential, but I can say my 353 it totally different animal after putting NE 346 top end.

Can't even think about what it could be ported or even tuned perfectly ;)

I read somewhere that a 353 has more potential than a 346, for example. Someone on here has the knowledge to deny or confirm that. Not me.

Why mess with a good runner? If that saw needs a total rebuild because it is worn out, then that changes everything.

The stock carb works fine on a ported saw. More performance can be had with a 357 carb and intake but at the expense of fuel consumption.

353 propably have some potential, but I can say my 353 it totally different animal after putting NE 346 top end.

Can't even think about what it could be ported or even tuned perfectly ;)
From my understanding a 353 cylinder will produce more torque but not as high of a revver as a 346. But I’ve never personally ran a ported 353. May have to now....

Regardless, someone used to a stock 346 will be blown away by how strong a ported one is.

Send it off to someone if you’re not a total do it your selfer type. Many people port for a relatively small amount of money. Myself included.

Welp. 2 hours Into a job I was offered both saws have broken down. Now I'm not a total newb but dammit, yall. The 028 av woodboss needle bearing fried and that being said melted... lots of things there. And the 346xp got about 10 cuts in and decided being a chainsaw was hard work and decided to stop. So here I am, no $ leftover, and both saws broke. Wish my wife didnt curse me when she left. Lol, check this out though

Attachments

• Resized_20191019_132855.jpeg
    Resized_20191019_132855.jpeg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 27
The port job may come sooner than expected, or might set me back further, can go either way at this point.
I do appreciate all of the feedback I got from you guys though, that 346xp has a monster caged up inside, it's already a little BAMF. I'm gonna go ahead and do it when I'm able to. I'll be reading and replying individually to this thread here when I'm done being angry about today, ask questions, you know.

Yeah so my 346xp got about 10 or so cuts in, limbed about 12 ft worth of a spruce, aaaaand decided it wasn't gonna do the whole chainsaw thing. So. Yeah. May have bought a wreck! Perfect though right?

Just relax. They're simple machines. Probably something basic went wrong. It needs fuel, fire, and compression.
That's what I'm saying, but you can totally understand my frustration though right? Man oh man. Yeah a very good friend of mine has the parts for the sti and my brother has a bucket o parts of husqvarna's. I was talking with a gentlemen here and he has every part imaginable. If j need it I'm sure it can work out. Just a giant pain in the ass, plus no one likes shipping to Alaska, pricey. >.<

I just found a stihl service app with details on certain parts of some of the saws on the google playstore... currently fly installing and will update here in a bit. That's actually pretty cool.

Back