New to chainsaws, Husqvarna 346XP NE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be down your way this weekend, in Monroe Twp - just outside of Englishtown, to finish helping out my parents with cleaning up the mess from Sandy. They lost some massive silver maples & hemlocks.

Kdubs - I'd come down and help out, but I go under the knife this Friday for this fkn knee that's been ripped for 2 months now. Hopefully I'll be able to climb a stand by opening day.

Excellent choice of saw.

I picked one up recently in anticipation of them being discontinued. Running 16" 3/8" setup on it and it pulls it quite nicely. Opened up the muffler outlet (which was a ##### compared to others), pulled the limiters, and then filled it up with gas for the first time. Quite pleased with the results.

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but for God's sake, buy and use your protective gear. Steel toe boots, chaps, eyes/ears, maybe a hardhat/face screen, and all that jazz. Figure that the money you saved compared to the 550 will buy your chaps. Buy them, wear them. Stay safe and in one piece.

I'm not too far from Red Bank in Monmouth County. I used to be Ocean County. I hear ya on the cost of living, but I need to be close to the ocean. I can't live without the beach. Love the Pine Barrens. 539 to LBI was my run for a long time. Love Jeeping in there. Next time I'll take my saw in the Jeep.

Yes the Pines barrens are nice until they catch fire.I used to go to racetrack off 539. LBI? Barnegat Light ring a bell?This is 18th street in Barnegat Light. The boat on the far left is my parents.
attachment.php

Yes the Pines barrens are nice until they catch fire.I used to go to racetrack off 539. LBI? Barnegat Light ring a bell?This is 18th street in Barnegat Light. The boat on the far left is my parents.
attachment.php

Very Familiar with Barnegat Light. Rick's Cafe was my favorite bar on the island. We used to ride our bikes from Harvey Cedars to the bar. How did your parents make out? I still have several year round friends on the island. A few stayed through the storm. One needed to get rescued by the Coast Guard.

Gotta make sure I can handle 50cc first. :cool2:

As a Stihl Head, I couldn't resist all the hype and bought a gently used 346XP NE and haven't looked back since...,(well, 'cept for the great 371XP CL deal I ran across recently - hehe).

But don't let the ease of operation and handling comfort level of your new saw fool you into thinking it can't bite your ass if you're not careful. It's one bad ass little saw.

And good luck with all the challenges on your plate up that way. Things still look pretty rough.

:cheers:

Greetings neighbor. Monmouth to ocean county transplant here. I've got a halfway decent dealer down by me for when you decide to get your next saw ( next week maybe?). Could be closer than manalapan depending on where you are in Monmouth. Enjoy it though, everyone else loves the 346

New saw Congrats! And congrats on buying a good quality saw!

Any idea what kind of tree that was? Oak or Maple? Or would you have to ask a tree service guy what kind it was? (And RiverOaks, this is not a jab at you).

New saw Congrats! And congrats on buying a good quality saw!

Any idea what kind of tree that was? Oak or Maple? Or would you have to ask a tree service guy what kind it was? (And RiverOaks, this is not a jab at you).

It was an Oak, and actually I think it was a Pin Oak. We live between two rivers and the soil is real sandy here (good for Pin Oaks). I grew up on a wooded property and I can do basic ID on trees, Oak, Maple, Pear, Poplar, etc, but I can't really narrow it down from there without some help. Are there actually people on this site who couldn't do basic ID?

Last edited:
Where is the Notch? You need some more experience and practicing and plenty of reading and how to videos before going out and buying a bigger saw...

It was a joke. I was actually kidding about the 70cc saw. 50cc is more than enough for me now. 70cc would probably scare the crap outta me. There was a pretty good notch. It doesn't really show in the pictures. I'm looking forward to practicing with the 346xp.

Latest posts

Back