New to chainsaws, Husqvarna 346XP NE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Oaks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hurricane Sandy hit NJ and I found myself in a mess of trees and limbs, among other things. Huge Oak trees in sandy soil and hurricane force winds do not mix well. 3 miles from the beach in the NE quadrant so we took the brunt of the winds where I live. I got to play with a few cheap consumer chainsaws (all that was locally available after the storm) during clean up and relief efforts and now I'm addicted and looking forward to cutting up my own firewood. I have a ton of wood waiting for me to get a good saw.

I decided to do some research on professional saws and ordered a Husqvarna 346XP. I'm the type that likes to buy a good tool from start that will last a long time rather than starting out cheap and having to buy a better one in the end. After placing the order I found this site and learned that the 500XP was replacing the 346XP. The salesman didn't tell me this. I'm guessing that the 346XP is fine for my casual needs, but the idea of "auto tune" appeals to me since I have no idea how to tune a saw (yet). I'm pretty handy so I'm sure I'll figure it out. The 550XP would have set me back at least $80 more from what I can see. So should I be ok with my 346XP purchase? Is the 550XP worth $80 more? I did read the 346 vs 550 thread on this site, but now that the 550 has been out for some time I was wondering if there were any new experienced opinions.

Any info or pointers or links to "how to" mods on the 346XP would be great. I'm already thinking of replacing the muffler to a non-cat. I would really like to learn the guts of the saw so I can keep it running strong myself.

Thanks in advance.

First, welcome to the site. You just bought one of the best saws ever made, so don't worry about the 550xp, although it's a great saw also.

No need to replace the cat muff if it doesn't have one. Only the E-Tech models have them and they are kind of rare lately.

I didn't adjust the carb on mine for the first 8 years, so don't worry about that right now.

Just enjoy and congrats!

The 346xp is an excellent 50cc saw, with a long proven record of great performance and holding up well.
It still remains to se if the 550xp is an improvement or not. The jury isn't even out yet, regarding that - looks promising so far though....

Agreed. You made out pretty damn good for your first time. Your dealer served you well. Where did you buy it, if you don't mind me askin? I'm always lookin for new dealers in jersey.

Thanks guys for making me feel better about my purchase.

z71mike, most dealers NJ were pretty low on stock after Sandy, as you can imagine. Generators, gas, gas cans, and chainsaws were in high demand. I ended up ordering online, but of course after I ordered I found a somewhat local guy with stock. If I knew about him I probably would have gone there.

A couple of questions:

Where are you in NJ? Are you sure that the saw has a cat? The majority of 346s that have come through in recent years have been cat free. You have a cat if you have the green gas cap and your muffler says so.

If you have a cat, it's worth changing out.

Depending on what bar and chain come on it you may wish to change to another which may offer better performance. My 346 came with a narrow kerf (NK) bar and I swapped it out for a normal 0.325 bar.

I think you should be happy with your decision. Tuning isn't too big of a deal. As long as you're not super close to the max rpm then there really isn't a reason for constant concern.

Thanks guys for making me feel better about my purchase.

z71mike, most dealers NJ were pretty low on stock after Sandy, as you can imagine. Generators, gas, gas cans, and chainsaws were in high demand. I ended up ordering online, but of course after I ordered I found a somewhat local guy with stock. If I knew about him I probably would have gone there.

Roger. What county are you in? I may know of a shop......

A couple of questions:

Where are you in NJ? Are you sure that the saw has a cat? The majority of 346s that have come through in recent years have been cat free. You have a cat if you have the green gas cap and your muffler says so.

If you have a cat, it's worth changing out.

Depending on what bar and chain come on it you may wish to change to another which may offer better performance. My 346 came with a narrow kerf (NK) bar and I swapped it out for a normal 0.325 bar.

I think you should be happy with your decision. Tuning isn't too big of a deal. As long as you're not super close to the max rpm then there really isn't a reason for constant concern.

I agree that the NK setup they come with is not the best option, but 20LPX chain can be run on the NK bars - and the 20-series LPX chains are the best ones there is in .325. Despite of that, I use regular .325 bars in .058, and 21LP/LPX, but that's just my choise....

You won't be disappointed in your purchase of the 346xp. never look back & have no regrets that you didn't consider the new 500 series....you can push that off once you get the CAD bug in your veins!

I'm in Monmouth County. I always prefer to buy local, so I wish I had found a dealer before I pulled the trigger. There's always next time I guess. It's funny because the online dealer I used just posted the 550 to their site today. But based on the overwhelming replies here I wont sweat it.

The saw arrives tomorrow so I guess I'll find out if it has a cat. I was under the assumption that most of them had the cat, but I guess I was wrong.

Itching to cut some of these down trees this weekend with it.

346xp!!!!

A fantastic saw! They don't fare too' well in truck fires, but neither does the allmighty MS660,...:angry2: I liked that 660, but of all the saws I lost when my old truck burned down, the 346 is the one I miss the most. I WILL have another one. It had surgical scalpel balance w/a 16" bar and would almost out-cut my Dad's MM'ed 039. It was one of the best investments I've ever made. I had almost worn the bar out in the three years I had it... Enjoy and safe cutting!

Hurricane Sandy

I wood also like to know your area. I was born and raised in Ocean County. Waretown to be exact. I am an original "ready for this" "Piney"NJ has grown to much for me, so now I reside here in Texas. Land of low taxes,low utility rates, low unemployment. But it does get warm in the summer.Did I mention that I have all the oak and mesquite a man could ever want?More people in this area cook with Mesquite.Oak is a good firewood seller also.Ken

check out Pantano in Manalapan off rte 522; they're a dealer in your area.

I'll be down your way this weekend, in Monroe Twp - just outside of Englishtown, to finish helping out my parents with cleaning up the mess from Sandy. They lost some massive silver maples & hemlocks.

I'll have both my 346xp & 365xp with me.

I wood also like to know your area. I was born and raised in Ocean County. Waretown to be exact. I am an original "ready for this" "Piney"NJ has grown to much for me, so now I reside here in Texas. Land of low taxes,low utility rates, low unemployment. But it does get warm in the summer.Did I mention that I have all the oak and mesquite a man could ever want?More people in this area cook with Mesquite.Oak is a good firewood seller also.Ken

I'm not too far from Red Bank in Monmouth County. I used to be Ocean County. I hear ya on the cost of living, but I need to be close to the ocean. I can't live without the beach. Love the Pine Barrens. 539 to LBI was my run for a long time. Love Jeeping in there. Next time I'll take my saw in the Jeep.

check out Pantano in Manalapan off rte 522; they're a dealer in your area.

I'll be down your way this weekend, in Monroe Twp - just outside of Englishtown, to finish helping out my parents with cleaning up the mess from Sandy. They lost some massive silver maples & hemlocks.

I'll have both my 346xp & 365xp with me.

Yup Pantano was the dealer I found with stock after I ordered my saw. :bang:

My parents are also in Middlesex County. I'll be headed there next with my new toy to clean up their trees. :rock:

I'm not too far from Red Bank in Monmouth County. I used to be Ocean County. I hear ya on the cost of living, but I need to be close to the ocean. I can't live without the beach. Love the Pine Barrens. 539 to LBI was my run for a long time. Love Jeeping in there. Next time I'll take my saw in the Jeep.

Hell yes. Used to go wheelin all the time over at crystal lake there in Manchester. Miss those days........

Back