346XP needs replaced....it's at 90 PSI, what saw is comparable today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I consider that the price of fossil fuels will not continue to decline over the long run I am forced to reckon with two competing thoughts: buy fossil fuels from the man or stick it to the man before he sticks it to me. I prefer to be as self sufficient as possible and heating with wood is one way I do that roght now. Sure there may come a day when I am sick of the wood game, or too old to do it, but even then buying wood will be cheaper than fossil fuels. Everybody has a different outlook and motivation for why we do what we do and I think that kind of plurality is good.

To me, It is mostly in how you value your time, and how you choose to push the pencil.
If you have natural gas available heating with wood doesn't pencil out unless your time is worthless.
Where I use to live in Upper MI your choices were propane, oil or wood. Propane coat on the order of 400-600 a month from November to May. A 24 federal cord log truck of wood was selling for $1800 when I moved 5 years ago. I would easily go through at least 24 cord per winter in my OWB. When you factor in gas for the splitter, saws, etc and your time you might break even. I was somewhat lucky in that I had access to unlimited oak and maple less than a few miles from my house so I only had to buy gas, but of course it was much more time consuming than getting a truck to drop it off. Kept me in good shape though.

If you have natural gas available heating with wood doesn't pencil out unless your time is worthless.
Where I use to live in Upper MI your choices were propane, oil or wood. Propane coat on the order of 400-600 a month from November to May. A 24 federal cord log truck of wood was selling for $1800 when I moved 5 years ago. I would easily go through at least 24 cord per winter in my OWB. When you factor in gas for the splitter, saws, etc and your time you might break even. I was somewhat lucky in that I had access to unlimited oak and maple less than a few miles from my house so I only had to buy gas, but of course it was much more time consuming than getting a truck to drop it off. Kept me in good shape though.
no idea what a "24 federal cord log truck" is....24 cords per winter, must be colder there and an older furnace. But again, natural gas, propane, oil...you can't source that from down the road but if you have JUST one 346XP it will cut any tree and if you put the right gas in it I have heard that saw can drill for oil and gas.....

no idea what a "24 federal cord log truck" is....24 cords per winter, must be colder there and an older furnace. But again, natural gas, propane, oil...you can't source that from down the road but if you have JUST one 346XP it will cut any tree and if you put the right gas in it I have heard that saw can drill for oil and gas.....
Federal refers to a true cord.
Upper MI has a pretty unforgiving climate and easily 6 or more months where your burning wood.
The furnace was a Heatmor OWB bought new in 2003. No OWB is efficient, but it sure beats hauling wood in the house and dealing with ash, bugs, bark, smoke in your home.

fiers Federal refers to a true cord.
Upper MI has a pretty unforgiving climate and easily 6 or more months where your burning wood.
The furnace was a Heatmor OWB bought new in 2003. No OWB is efficient, but it sure beats hauling wood in the house and dealing with ash, bugs, bark, smoke in your home.
Not sure what you mean by efficient, that needs defined, but the downdraft wood gasifiers are about 80-90% efficient. Also there are rocket mass heaters that are really impessive and super low wood consumption. To compare accurately it comes down to BTU per unit of fuel and that is hard to do with wood. But we know that fuel oil has more BTU per equivlant unit as propane, but propane boilers and such are mmore efficient which negates the increased BTU in fuel oil.

Not sure what you mean by efficient, that needs defined, but the downdraft wood gasifiers are about 80-90% efficient. Also there are rocket mass heaters that are really impessive and super low wood consumption. To compare accurately it comes down to BTU per unit of fuel and that is hard to do with wood. But we know that fuel oil has more BTU per equivlant unit as propane, but propane boilers and such are mmore efficient which negates the increased BTU in fuel oil.

Mine wasn't a gassifier as they were not on the market back then. I define efficiency or lack there of by he ton of wood I threw into the thing. In cold weather it easily burnt through a 2 full loads and a partial per day. And not ****** wood either. 3' pieces of seasoned oak and maple.

Back