346XP needs replaced....it's at 90 PSI, what saw is comparable today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not even sure I save money burning wood, never put a pencil to it.

To add to that post...economics of wood burning....

I love cutting, splitting, and carrying wood almost as much as burning it. I like the workout, love the feel of popping open wood by hand when I split with a maul. I don't care if it saves money or not. I like being out there, in the woods or trails, whackin' away with a chainsaw. The smell of the oil/gas burnin', sawdust smell. All of it.

And most of all, for the wife, if I didn't cut wood how the hell would I justify the saws?

Zeek, you said you would put in a new fuel line, that's good. Don't forget a new OEM fuel filter. There is a screen in the carb that could cause a lean condition if partially plugged. After 11 years, it would be good to put a new kit in the carb. Ever notice how a saw runs when it's about out of gas? That's a lean condition and if your tank is full you better shut the saw off. They will idle erratic, fast, float down from wide open throttle. If you're not already doing it, use non-ethanol fuel. If you go to gas pump with one hose for all, pump the 1st gallon in your vehicle. A cheap syringe makes a nice troubleshooting tool. Example, unhook the fuel line at the carb, connect the syringe to the fuel line and you should be able to pull fuel out and back in the tank easily. There is a weight in the fuel filter that oxidizes with ethanol/water producing white powder that plugs the filter and line.

I tried to pencel out the cost of fire wood a few times including free wood, log loads and split cord wood. I burn too much for cord wood to make sense. Which requires no equipment and has no time involved save for stacking. (And some guys will stack it for you too.) Log load needs at minimum a saw and axe/maul. Load cost was all over the map depending on what kind of wood. My neighbor (logger) would sell me a load of reject hardwood for $700.00 which he admitted is less then he charged others.
I tend to stick with the "free wood" but considering all the equipment I have, oil would be a cheaper option if I had to replace the truck or trailer. The dump trailer my uncle and I bought 2 years ago was $11k. Even a beater truck will cost a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. Thats a lot of gas or oil.
When you really think about it, burning wood is more a labor of love then "saving money". I doubt any of us are cutting the tree down with an axe or cross cut saw and manually dragging it to be split. There's always some sort of equipment involved.

I tried to pencel out the cost of fire wood a few times including free wood, log loads and split cord wood. I burn too much for cord wood to make sense. Which requires no equipment and has no time involved save for stacking. (And some guys will stack it for you too.) Log load needs at minimum a saw and axe/maul. Load cost was all over the map depending on what kind of wood. My neighbor (logger) would sell me a load of reject hardwood for $700.00 which he admitted is less then he charged others.
I tend to stick with the "free wood" but considering all the equipment I have, oil would be a cheaper option if I had to replace the truck or trailer. The dump trailer my uncle and I bought 2 years ago was $11k. Even a beater truck will cost a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. Thats a lot of gas or oil.
When you really think about it, burning wood is more a labor of love then "saving money". I doubt any of us are cutting the tree down with an axe or cross cut saw and manually dragging it to be split. There's always some sort of equipment involved.
Many would be amazed at just how much I've spent to save a couple thousand a yr lol.
That being said, I do enjoy running equipment and the workout so there's that. Also the heat security of not having to rely on others outside the home for heat, can't be beat.

I think the costs of wood heat are more intrinsic than anything.... some good points raised above:

-heat security (probably the biggest one...provided you don't depend on delivery of logs)
-exercise
-hobby/"enjoyment"
-quality of BTU & warmth penetration
-nostalgia/smell

It's also worth noting too that the pricetag to install any of the wood-burners will be comparatively less expensive than forced air or in-floor. Sure Nat Gas and Propane are cheap fuels, but paying for the materials to facilitate that heat can get expensive and in some floorplan schemes is utterly prohibitive. Baseboards are pretty cheap to buy and install but frick electricity is turning into a very expensive way to heat and if the greenies have their way our entire grid will get overloaded and collapse one day. Just my thoughts

Many would be amazed at just how much I've spent to save a couple thousand a yr lol.
That being said, I do enjoy running equipment and the workout so there's that. Also the heat security of not having to rely on others outside the home for heat, can't be beat.
Up untill this past year I would have agreed about being energy dependent. But with rising heating costs it's been hard to get the good "free" wood recently. Truthfully I don't mind the equipment ad I like running it all too, and it's mostly playtime for me.

I think the costs of wood heat are more intrinsic than anything.... some good points raised above:

-heat security (probably the biggest one...provided you don't depend on delivery of logs)
-exercise
-hobby/"enjoyment"
-quality of BTU & warmth penetration
-nostalgia/smell

It's also worth noting too that the pricetag to install any of the wood-burners will be comparatively less expensive than forced air or in-floor. Sure Nat Gas and Propane are cheap fuels, but paying for the materials to facilitate that heat can get expensive and in some floorplan schemes is utterly prohibitive. Baseboards are pretty cheap to buy and install but frick electricity is turning into a very expensive way to heat and if the greenies have their way our entire grid will get overloaded and collapse one day. Just my thoughts
Heat with a wood furnace. Same costs as another forced air unit to hook up. Boiler much the same as they have the same as they have the same requirements, your just burning wood to heat the air/ water. Add in the wood furnaces are much bigger and heavier and you have added cost. Modern wood furnaces aren't any cheaper then and oil/gas furnace and many times more expensive.
A small wood stove is a totally different ballgame. Smaller footprint and no requirements for air/water circulation. Only plus side of my furnace being forced air is if the electric goes out the heat still circulates through the duct work, just not as efficiently.
I don't mind heating solely with wood and having a furnace makes it much easier.

Zeek, you need to run a Jonsered CS2253 after Mastermind (Randy Evans),Jamestown TN. has ported it and installed a pop up piston. For 50cc it's a real screamer. And he is not even running a Speedcut Bar and Chain!

singinwoodwackr was EPA involved back in January of 2010 when the 346 was replaced with the 550
Epa was involved then, which is why husky and stihl increased bore size in their mid 40cc class saws to get them above 50cc to skirt those regs. 346 went from 42mm bore up to 44.3.

550 came out in 2013

I cringe when I see someone start a saw and instantly rev it. Granted, the monkey man making the video could have warmed it up prior to filming, and I sure hope he did, but it is not the first video of his I've seen where this happens. Hope he leaves the warmup off-camera. For the sake of the saws.

Epa was involved then, which is why husky and stihl increased bore size in their mid 40cc class saws to get them above 50cc to skirt those regs. 346 went from 42mm bore up to 44.3.

550 came out in 2013
Dolmar discontinued the 5105SC(14,500 version) February 28th 2010, It was only in production for 9 months. Huskihl we need saw troll to get well and come back with all his specs. and dates.

I cringe when I see someone start a saw and instantly rev it. Granted, the monkey man making the video could have warmed it up prior to filming, and I sure hope he did, but it is not the first video of his I've seen where this happens. Hope he leaves the warmup off-camera. For the sake of the saws.
Nate, I just gave you a like for coining the phrase "the monkey man" I had a rough day
working on Income Tax all day and I needed a good laugh and that one just hit the spot.

Dolmar discontinued the 5105SC(14,500 version) February 28th 2010, It was only in production for 9 months. Huskihl we need saw troll to get well and come back with all his specs. and dates.
It was the 5100 S. But it was always over 50cc. They slowed it down because of piston and bottom end failures from running too hot

Latest posts

Back