What do you guys stack your wood on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started using heavy duty mudflaps. The're 1/2" thick rubber take offs from tanker refurbs where I work. It's a big contract, so they are just sitting there on pallets. Boss wants them gone. They won't rot, they lay flat, and no grass grows through them. They won't be easy to dispose of when that time comes though.

Last edited:
I've stacked on a few different things. I find the grass to be the easiest. I would try to not over think the easiest way.
Just stack it on the ground.

A lot of good ideas came up. I like the block idea but that would cost a bunch of money. This past year I sold around 15 cord, all stacked in rows about 25 feet long. That would take a lot of cinder blocks as well as PT lumber. I will take a ride to the local HD and Lowes and see if they have any cull lumber they may sell for cheap, stuff that has been picked through. I just hate when you are walking around on the pallets, loading the truck and pallets start breaking just from stepping on them. Stacking on the ground I want to stay away from as I am delivering this wood for sale and don't want any sub par wood going on the truck.

I have a supply of old 75mm thick concrete blocks, one of them on its side and two lengths of recycled 4x2 hardwood fence rail to another block and then stack about 4 foot high.

Also have other hardwood lying about too that will get used.

I’ve used pallets, lumber, RR ties, landscape timbers, etc… and I hate them all. Every one of them will sink, freeze to the ground, and rot/fall apart. I’ve learned if air can get under the stacks, so can critters… critters lift up the earth packing mud into the wood and also undermine the stacks, causing them to fall. And if air and critters can get under the stacks so can weeds of all sorts… which just attract more critters. I’ve also stacked directly on the ground… and that’s OK for the short-term, but over the course of two or three years you get the same problems along with wet, rotted, mud-caked firewood frozen to the ground on the bottom.

I’ve gone to just using a moisture barrier such as old rubber belting, rubber roofing… currently I’m using old vinyl siding that came off my brothers house, and that seems to work best of anything. I cut the moisture barrier a few inches wider than the wood so I can just run the grass cuttin’ machine along it… no trimming, weed-whacking, etc. No ground-digging critters, no weeds, no falling stacks; no wet, rotted, mud-caked firewood frozen to the ground. Ice and snow won’t stick to vinyl and it won’t freeze to the ground… any water attempting to puddle in low spots just runs off/out at the joints.

Getting air under the stacks is over-rated… besides, most of the time critters just block it off with rooted-up dirt and weeds anyway. I suppose if ya’ stack several rows deep there is some advantage to air under the stacks… maybe. But if ya’ stack in single rows, like I do, there ain’t any need whatsoever. Stacking on concrete is nice… but if you live where there’s lots of ice and snow you’ll have the bottom three rows or so solidly frozen down in winter (ice clings to concrete with an iron-like grip). The concrete block idea ain’t too bad other than it raises the stacks, reducing the amount of wood that can be placed in that area… and they can tend to sink, tip and freeze down. Really, anything non-flexible will sink, lift, tip and even break when the frost comes out in the spring... a flexible moisture barrier will "give" where needed and then settle back in after the first good thunderstorm.

I made a patio for my wood out of pavers my friend gave me 5 years ago. Dug about 10" down and filled it in with 8" of stone dust. Didn't use any quarry process since there's weight on it most of the year. Seems to be holding up and keeps the mud off it.

Just looking for ideas on this. I usually keep all my wood stacked on pallets to dry. After about 1-2 years the pallets start rotting and I have to get rid of them. I just burnt a bunch yesterday. Any ideas on something that would last a little longer? I stack all the wood to get optimal drying so I can sell people dry wood. I usually do about 15-20 cord per year. Any thoughts?

My new regimen in firewood yard #2 is pallets stacked on top of railroad ties. Additional height off the ground for more air flow to the splits, plus will keep the pallets more moisture free so they dont rot as fast.

I have one stack I did this summer with pallets on top of old broken bricks, chunks of broken concrete, pressure treated scrap, etc..but I ran out. So I liberated a stack of ties from elswhere on the farm to use.

If you are going to long term permanent, you could go concrete blocks as well.

I've been using leftover hemlock battens for a few years now. Not perfect, but they're free and easy to maneuver.

The concrete block idea ain’t too bad other than it raises the stacks, reducing the amount of wood that can be placed in that area… and they can tend to sink, tip and freeze down.

I recently stacked up this fresh walnut on blocks and runners. The ground was really soft when I did it. It was tipping within a weeks time. I've come to the conclusion as well that the blocks and runners aren't the best idea for stacking on dirt.

IMAG0042.jpg

I like the idea of a vapor barrier. I might give that a try!

:msp_thumbup:

Has anyone ever used the firewood brackets. The ones you use 2x4's with. They seem like a good idea, not sure how effective they are either. I would consider purchasing a few sets if they are worth it.

Like most folks I've used a number of different thins. At the present I have some stacked on concrete blocks, but the lastest stack is on is on the corrugated 18ga decking. It's some I got off a job site where the decking was used to span about 15 feet and hold a poured concrete floor. I can't get anymore considering I've retired from ironwork. The rises in it are right at an inch so water runs down and out. It's working quite well.

There is a local business that supplies me with oak pallets (more than I can use). I use the 5/4 heavy ones for stacking and the rest go to the cabin and either end up in the bonfire or cut up for kindling.

I use plastic skids that my grandfather got from a weis food store. Iv had them for atleast 10 years. They are lighter than the wood ones and last a lot longer! If you can get any get them.

If your lucky enough to have it, concrete is by far the best place to stack wood.:) Its especially nice when there is a roof over head too.

000_0012.jpg

WoodPics006.jpg

WoodPics011.jpg

Gregg,

Those are some good looking stacks. I say you spend too much time stacking:msp_smile: How do you measure your logs, a tape measure? Man, every piece looks exactly the same length.

Of course concrete is the best but all of us are not that lucky.

Those are some good looking stacks. I say you spend too much time stacking:msp_smile: How do you measure your logs, a tape measure? Man, every piece looks exactly the same length.

Of course concrete is the best but all of us are not that lucky.

Believe me, they are NOT all the same length..LOL When I cut, I just guess. Some times I think the bigger the round, the shorter I make them. A friend of mine, that cuts with me quite often, will go along and measure & mark a log with a small hand saw every 18" .:dizzy: I burn in a indoor wood furnace, the lengths not as critical to me. He uses a smaller stove.

That over hang in the last pic, just has stone. That works pretty well too. If it does get wet, it drains pretty well. I suppose if I didn't have concrete to stack on, an area with a stone base would be my next choice, with railroad ties to stack on. At least better than dealing with mud & rot at the bottom.

Gregg,

Come on now. How many tapes do you cut up a year measuring those sticks? Or do you cut butt cut it after it's stacked. It's just to darn neat.

Its bad enough, this web site got me collecting chainsaws! Now I gotta start collecting cement blocks too.:laugh: Is there such a thing as "Cement block acquisition disorder" to go along with CAD?

Gregg,

Come on now. How many tapes do you cut up a year measuring those sticks? Or do you cut butt cut it after it's stacked. It's just to darn neat.

My stacks are deceiving.:msp_sneaky: I stack from one side. I make the outside pretty close to even...but the back side of each row will be a little ragged. LOL I usually will use squarer pieces on the ends also. Easier to stack and make a little more stable.

Gregg,

Back