What is the best tool for pulling wood down from a woodpile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XTROOPER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been pulling firewood in from my wood pile and throwing it into the basement via a small window. The wood piles up and I was wondering what would be the best tool to pull the pile down when it piles up high enough to reach the window. My mother in law uses a potato rake or what I think is known as a clam rake. it has larger tines and several smaller tines up front. I try to use a regular garden rake, but I am sure folks on this forum will have a better suggestion. Thank you very much in advance.

XTROOPER

I use a hookeroon made by Peavy Manufacturing and a four tine garden rake with the points finely sharpened so it sticks better.

Pulling Rounds

Here are the ones I use for pulling the rounds - say for instance out of the back of my pickup's bed. You can use anything which is strong enough and will hold into wood.

These are homemade from long rods which were heated and sharpened to a 4-corner point and heat treated to be hardened. They are installed into hoe handles and work great. I originally made these a few years ago for gaffs when I used to fish a lot.

Nosmo

I just ordered a Logrite hookeroon from Bailey's. They were backordered,but it shipped yesterday.

whatever extra hookie-doo you have sitting around...preferably light, long, and narrow

I'm diggin' the garden hoe idea...seems pretty versatile in this app

-----

why not just stop when you reach the window...go inside and stack it...then continue?

I just ordered a Logrite hookeroon from Bailey's. They were backordered,but it shipped yesterday.

Got a 36" version of that a few months back. (Self, you should've done that years back. Many years back.)

I have been pulling firewood in from my wood pile and throwing it into the basement via a small window. The wood piles up and I was wondering what would be the best tool to pull the pile down when it piles up high enough to reach the window. My mother in law uses a potato rake or what I think is known as a clam rake. it has larger tines and several smaller tines up front. I try to use a regular garden rake, but I am sure folks on this forum will have a better suggestion. Thank you very much in advance.

XTROOPER
That's exactly what I used to use, a 3 pronged clamming rake. Until it was ripped off out of the back of my truck.

Tough to see in the pics but I use a plastic pipe to slide my firewood into my basement. The wood used to pile up right under the window, now I can put 3 times as much wood down until it's to the window. View attachment 220370
220370d1327804383-firewood-slide-jpg

Got a 36" version of that a few months back. (Self, you should've done that years back. Many years back.)

Same here. I held off and held off for 20 odd years because they seemed to be highly overpriced. Bought one about 5 years ago and the first time I used it started bending over so my wife could kick me.

Then I built a 7' one from a closet pole and a 'dressler' coupling from the plumbing shop. No more climbing up in the truck to move stuff back for unloading.

I feel naked if it isn't with me when I'm working around wood either in the field or at home.

I too used rakes, hoes, etc. I can gaurantee that anyone who uses a hookeroon once and makes a homemade one with a longer reach will never again reach for a hoe or rake

Harry K

I have a tuck under garage so I just back up my truck and unload the wood. If I had to build a house i wouldn't build one with a tuck under garage, but it doesn't work too bad if you have a freestander in the basement.

If I built a new house I would have an OWB outside...its a lot better than an indoor stove imo.

Go to this site. pickaroon.com
I bought the 48" handled one and it is a very nice unit works much better than the ones with cast iron heads, Also they are priced very good. I also like the fact that they are made right in my home state of Minnesota. They are sold off of the site by a guy who runs a small propane company up in Cook, MN and he was a pleasure to deal with. Trust me and buy one you wont regret it.

Back