What kind of chain is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Reaction score
On an eBay ad...

attachment.php

I have a manual for a McC 3-25 with sharpening instructions for that style chain. I believe some called it scratcher chain, and I also believe many called it BS as soon as better stuff was available.

Interesting with that roller-nose, as it was dissappearing or gone by the time roller noses were common.

I imagine a serious collector would be very interested, as the chain looks to be low-wear. I'm certainly not.

Looks like scratcher chain. I have a new loop of the same on a Stihl BLK57. Actually, that looks like an early Stihl bar with the remnants of original paint.

that is original stihl scratcher chain.

How would you sharpen a chain like that?:givebeer:

Thanks guys - I know I can always find the answer here:

attachment.php

Early saw chain designs
A section of "scratcher" chain on a bar nose, showing the tooth layout.
A section of "scratcher" chain showing the large number of teeth compared to modern chain.

Very early chainsaws used tooth configurations very similar to conventional hand saws. These were very simple saw teeth following a wave pattern (left, centre, right, centre) with no depth gauges as such, relying purely on bar pressure to limit the cutting rate. They were inefficient and slow in use, and were soon superseded by chipper chain. they required great skill and a lot of time to sharpen in the field, leading to extended downtime between sessions.

How would you sharpen a chain like that?:givebeer:

they are a complicated chain to sharpen. many angles. best to have a jig.

my freind Natalie sharpend a few of her scratchers by hand and they turned out pretty good.

the scratcher will cut pretty fast when sharp.

I have about 25-30 saws with scratcher loops.

mall, disston,titan, reed prentice-craftsman,PM power machinery.

I ve posted this before but just for anyone who is interested in how to sharpen scracher chain here you go .
That is a Stihl bar, on two of my BLK's I have those bars in 12" and 18" but on my non runner BLK it has a standard roll tip.

I ve posted this before but just for anyone who is interested in how to sharpen scracher chain here you go .
That is a Stihl bar, on two of my BLK's I have those bars in 12" and 18" but on my non runner BLK it has a standard roll tip.

Ah yeah Dave...I think I'm going to ship you all my scratcher chains for you to sharpen, Good Buddy.
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

{Don't panic I don't have any yet!!!}

Latest posts

Back