What's on your firewood list?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a list of things to get done first, prior to 2021 processing, as the snow is melting and wind is drying things up.
-Wash and wax truck. Almost done. Hand washed it yesterday. Spots like fly crap are coming off hard during the wax. I bought some Cerakote for the black exterior trim. Haven't used it yet. It's like wipes that a friend suggested. A ceramic coating? I'm burning wood to heat the garage for some of these, but today it was nice enough to have the door open and a bit of sunshine.
-Go over SuperSplit, oil change, clean and wax
-Go over conveyor, oil change.
-Go over quad, oil change, annual transmission/front and back differential change, new drive belts, clean, wax. This one takes a bit of time, to remove all body parts and wheels for better access. Good rain day project.
-Go over PackFix, oil change, clean, wax drums so the netting slides when the drum is lifted.
-Go over forklift, oil change.
-And the 10 hp snow blower need a drive belt, oil change and cleaned up. I'm guessing it's done for this year.

Margaret makes a list.
Then very much enjoys crossing things off the list.
We are very much opposites...
But on occasion I try using a list.
I just don't like looking at it for month on end, or being reminded about it, when she assumes I forgot.
I just prioritize differently.
The truck will be done tomorrow.

First is figure out what saw to use. Seems to be my biggest debate lately. Need about three or fore more loads of wood cut for next years season. I would like to change hydraulic fluid and filter on the splitter. Change the engine oil too so its good for next year. Clean all saws real good at end of season. Probly more to do as i go

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

What procedure do you use to clean a saw other than blow it out, check air filter, and clean under chain cover?
I have two Husqvarna. I'm hearing I need to grease a bearing behind the clutch? I YouTubed pulling the clutch, but have have not tried yet.
Edit: 357xp; 562xp.
Not familiar with what all you can take off a hooskie but on my stihl's I pull all covers and blow off then use some totally awesome and degrease them. The clutch bearing gets greased several times during the cutting season. I do wax my saws and it makes cleanup easier. My get ready for spring list is longer than a country mile. Stihl in wood cutting mode at this point.

What procedure do you use to clean a saw other than blow it out, check air filter, and clean under chain cover?
I have two Husqvarna. I'm hearing I need to grease a bearing behind the clutch? I YouTubed pulling the clutch, but have have not tried yet.
Edit: 357xp; 562xp.
If im not mistaken they should both be able to be grease through the end of the crank. I know the 562xp is and I'm fairly sure my 359 is the same, which should mean your 357xp should get greased the same way.
For cleaning I just blow mine off. Little dry silicone spray if I know I'll be storing them for some time.

Few things on my list. I want to build a headache rack for my pickup. Been careful the last couple years, but you only get away with that for so long. I recently put together a 359 Husqvarna box-o-saw that I purchased from a member here. Really antsy to try it out. Need to make a trip to the saw shop and buy a cant hook. I've been borrowing one for years, and it's time to get one of my own.

Need to make lots of bundles for the spring firepit season. I MIGHT be picking up another store to sell my bundles. That'll make three.

I'm all ready for spring splitting season. Gobs of rounds ready to go through the SuperSplit. Will get the kids to finish that before the summer heat comes.

Need to get the Scag mower ready for the season. Sharpen blades, do a once-over.

Lots of milling to do for myself and for the Ranch (ministry where my mill is located), and two customers who want me to mill something for them. I haven't even really advertised yet.

But I need to do some rehab on the barn in which the mill sits. Going to remove a post that's in between two garage doors and support that area from the sides. Then I will re-orient the mill so it's facing 90 degrees the other way and raise it up about 18 inches. Build some beams/skids for holding logs to load onto the mill, figure out how to do a couple other things, such as easily moving the falloff to the bucking table. Maybe lower that table down to be a closer height to the mill. Probably not so important that the wheelbarrow fits under it.

Wash and wax truck.
Cerakote black trim and see how it works.
Done!
The 2011 Silverado is looking good again.
Cerakote is a ceramic coating.
I was a little apprehensive to use it, not wanting to clear coat over white wax smudges.
Stuff is great, although it will obviously need a six month review. Made the black plastics black black, really like new. Looks great with a white truck. Didn't get to the interior, or wheel wells, but did the wheels and pulled the hub caps. Yes my truck has hub caps, small ones for the hubs/bolt pattern. Anyway, thrilled at the out come. Also got the new 18k 2 1/2" ball mount (replacing a 2" and sloppy sleeve adaptor) and 25k 2 5/16" ball torqued to 160 ft. pds. and installed.
Anyway Done, off the list. SuperSplit is next.

63674421356__6C3CBE4E-7BC7-40F8-9882-87CDD433F8EF.jpg63658256702__44FDBBCA-7490-4678-8B57-581CE8168957.jpg63676572734__C7D7FD5B-DA29-470E-A32B-9D46D18D0337.jpg63676562533__B5A59FCB-7155-4880-812E-48408D17AC90.jpg

My firewood list is very short at this time. My Garn boiler started leaking again early Dec 2020 and I put a temp fix on it with high temp silicone. That worked until the first week in FEB 2021. Leak got worst and flooded the Garn barn. Drain the rest of the 2000 gallons of water and switch the house back to LP and electric heat. Finally warmed up had a guy come out yesterday and get inside and start the clean up to see how bad it is and its not good. Going to call the welder that fixed it two years ago and see if he will take a look at it. After two shoulder surgery's there is no getting in there for me. So my whole firewood list depends on if the Garn is fixable or not. Maybe I am done burning wood. We will see.

Wash and wax truck.
Cerakote black trim and see how it works.
Done!
The 2011 Silverado is looking good again.
Cerakote is a ceramic coating.
I was a little apprehensive to use it, not wanting to clear coat over white wax smudges.
Stuff is great, although it will obviously need a six month review. Made the black plastics black black, really like new. Looks great with a white truck. Didn't get to the interior, or wheel wells, but did the wheels and pulled the hub caps. Yes my truck has hub caps, small ones for the hubs/bolt pattern. Anyway, thrilled at the out come. Also got the new 18k 2 1/2" ball mount (replacing a 2" and sloppy sleeve adaptor) and 25k 2 5/16" ball torqued to 160 ft. pds. and installed.
Anyway Done, off the list. SuperSplit is next.

View attachment 893612View attachment 893613View attachment 893614View attachment 893615
Didnt know cerakote made anything like that, last time i used it it needed to be "baked" on. Would be interested to know how it holds up. Looks great.

Do you sharpen by hand?
hi SC - yes... file and angle gauge... one file size for each chain size. one way for this chisel angle, other side for the other angle chisel. mark the link so i know i got them all. :rolleyes: lol. i have heard pros n cons about grinder or hand. i know this much... after kissing the teeth sure cuts better! lol. hand or grinder? to me, it's kinda like this... how about them Marines in the south Pacific in WWII... [oo-rah!] when they had no beer! :surprised3: then in comes the beer, but of course... not cold. historical rumor has it there were no complaints! sometime close enuff is good enuff! ~

how about you?

Back