What's on your firewood list?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to have to try turning the saw upside down to sharpen. I definitely take more off one side as much as I try not to. Every third time I add a few strokes to even up.
And I'm looking forward to seeing the SS box wedge.
What size Honda?
This is a gx160, 14 years old. Getting ready to pull it to clean and change oil.
Reduced tension on the belt and cleaned the lichens off the paint, what's left of it.
Raising the forks drops the high end enough to clear the garage door header and door in the overhead position.
Sweet, because it's cold and windy today.
Been getting calls for deliveries this afternoon. Pallets are still froze down. Maybe two more weeks.
Second shot for both of us this week.
First day of spring this weekend.
63752524015__4C416FEA-410E-4F1F-9AB5-3609674B981B.jpg63753120416__A432EE14-AE52-49FC-A9AA-89C4E5EFA7B0.jpgIMG_4703.jpgIMG_4704.jpg

2007 conveyor. 28'.
It has been a pretty trustworthy machine considering it's
fourteen.
Finished cleaning it up and did an oil change.
When cleaning up equipment small things become apparent that a quick glance over at say, the Paul Bunyan Show, might not reveal.
Quality of paint for one. And the metal prep beneath it.
As a carpenter apprentice of a design/build company I vividly remember rubbing block walls in stair wells with a worn grinder disk, with a bolt added for a handle. This was to knock off the mortar edges where the brickies struck between the block. If you ever noticed a wall not rubbed and painted over the difference in appearance is profound. The rubbed wall you may not ever notice. The not rubbed wall is rough and ugly to say the least.
This relates to my equipment in that the Posch PackFix has beautiful paint. I think it's five years old.
The conveyor has considerable welding splatter that was painted over, and now looks like crap. Waxing it leaves rag snags dangling, and chunks of dried wax. There are two ridged tubes for hydraulic lines that run 2/3rds the 28' length along one side to the top drum hydraulic motor. The back of these tubes never got sprayed with paint, and the frame behind them is almost as bad.
A few minutes with a flipper wheel could have made a great deal of difference, and someone who cared could have painted it. The idler wheels are not serviceable, and a critical hinge for height adjustment lacked grease zerks. The hinge seized up and I broke the hand crank jack trying to raise it. I replaced the hand jack with a hydraulic valve and cylinder. It needs a way to pin it in position, as it bleeds down in several days time.
A tube in a tube parallel to the cylinder, and with a series of adjustment holes, needs to be added.
One of the fill drums was full from my last cutting in January. Got that wrapped up and pulled the drum.
Waxed one fill drums on the PackFix earlier today, which was a completely different experience from the conveyor.. It is a nicely built piece of equipment. Excellent paint, and many stainless steel fasteners, for full time outdoor use. Tomorrow I'll bring the turntable base up to the house to go over, do an oil change on it, and wax the painted surfaces, the framework and hydraulic cabinet. Remove the aluminum foot panels and blow it out.
Springs almost here...

Made some headway on my list.
Fill drums done, frame work done.
This is a really nice built piece of equipment. Stainless steel fasteners, drainage spots at the joint intersections, excellent paint, no weld splatters on this one.
Need to do the hydraulic cabinet, mast, and oil change.
Rain tonight.
Forklift next. Clean up, oil change, and fuel line replacement. That means dropping the fuel tank.
Firewood deliveries coming up soon.

Edit: I need to clean up under and around the log decks and where the PackFix normally sits. The log decks need to be empty to move them, and the wood shed needs replenished.
63769446029__90BCFC8E-1E2E-4572-806C-4109064579A9.jpgIMG_4714.jpgIMG_4715.jpgIMG_4716.jpg

Been doing clean up.
And fixed/replaced the fuel return line that's been weeping for almost a year. Had to drop the fuel tank, and...I broke a brass fitting with an 1/8" barb for the fuel line. Spent two and a half hours Sunday trying to find a replacement. Beautiful day. Too nice to spend so much of it in a truck. Done deal, replaced, and Margaret lent a hand getting the tank strap hanger bolts started. Thank you very much. Picked up an updated air filter kit for the Husqvarna 562, and a clutch tool.
Moved the log decks and hauled off six loads of bark, chips, and dirt. A buddy is coming Saturday to fill and level the work area so I don't tip the splitter over again. And 12 yards of crushed concrete to build up the driveway is coming tomorrow. The log decks both need work. One cutting bench needs replaced. Also picked up some dust and chips, for underneath our fire pit pavers that are dropping like dead piano keys due to moles. Not sure I want to start that. The step riser needs replaced there too. Good thing the days are getting longer.

Been doing clean up.
And fixed/replaced the fuel return line on forklift, that's been weeping for almost a year. Had to drop the fuel tank, and...I broke a brass fitting with an 1/8" barb for the fuel line. Spent two and a half hours Sunday trying to find a replacement. Beautiful day. Too nice to spend so much of it in a truck. Done deal, replaced, and Margaret lent a hand getting the tank strap hanger bolts started. Thank you very much.
Picked up an updated air filter kit for the Husqvarna 562, and a clutch tool.
Moved the log decks and hauled off six loads of bark, chips, and dirt. A buddy is coming Saturday to fill and level the work area so I don't tip the splitter over again.
12 yards of crushed concrete to build up the driveway is coming tomorrow.
The log decks both need work. One cutting bench needs replaced.
Also picked up some dust and chips, for underneath our fire pit pavers that are dropping like dead piano keys due to moles. Not sure I want to start that. The step riser needs replaced there too, treated wood rotted after ten years.
Good thing the daylight is getting longer.

Not familiar with what all you can take off a hooskie but on my stihl's I pull all covers and blow off then use some totally awesome and degrease them. The clutch bearing gets greased several times during the cutting season. I do wax my saws and it makes cleanup easier. My get ready for spring list is longer than a country mile. Stihl in wood cutting mode at this point.
Yeah, Steve! Just belittle 6,000 guys in public, all at once! WAX your saws? I'm going to make a saw display for the fair this year, and I won't wax them. If I did every one would think they are shiny plastic repros. Wax your saws, geeze!

Raining tonight.
First thing will be clearing the work bench of all the accumulated tools from this weekends projects.
Guess I'll be making a new sacrificial cut off bench.
Get the holes drilled on the drill press, and some all-thread cut to length.
If I get done with that I may blow out and clean the 562xp.
Then try the new clutch removal tool and grease the clutch bearing.
New to me! I think I read it's reverse thread. Have to double check.
Then try mounting the new air filter upgrade.
Looks to be a huge improvement judging by the kit.
I picked up a couple chains, the clutch tool, and the air filter kit, so I couldn't tell you what it cost off hand.
The new 562"s come with it.
I ordered it the end of December and they called me Friday.
Should be cutting/splitting more for the wood shed Friday.
Saturday, weather permitting, using the Ultimate Dump to load my buddies tractor and bring it over to spread some crushed concrete by the house and some fill and leveling around the processing area, so I can move the conveyor more easily to use for loading deliveries. I haven't used the trailer much yet, so that should be new, and fun. I wish there were more tie downs spaced about. There are six. I guess that's enough, but the spacing is odd.

Our 2011 truck came from southern Kentucky. Paper labels still on the frame at six years old and 102k on the meter. Not so any more, but hardly a hint of rust along tailgate hinge. The thing about buying used is there are compromises. We added a tonneau cover right off. Best thing ever to keep it clean/dry/things out of site all four seasons. It was the reason I chose a bumper pull over a gooseneck dump trailer. That, and I've never pulled a gooseneck, so not sure what I gave up either. For long hauls maybe a different choice, but short deliveries this should work.
Edit: Seems all pickups go for a premium.

Still not sure I like lists.
Mine get longer, rather than shorter.
I tend to start things, and then come to an impasse and start something else. Maybe I need to run to town for something, but not right away, or the weather. So I get a couple three things going simultaneously. Mean while other stuff gets added.
The dog found a beautiful antler. Margaret was thrilled. The dog not so much having given up her find. So today Margaret and I walked a few deer trails looking for more treasures after my second shot. Slight headache. Great walk, no more antler finds.
Posch PackFix is almost done...tomorrow, weather permitting.
Wood lot is cleaned up.
Have not started wood splitter since tipping it over. Tomorrow...
Cutting bench rebuild...tomorrow.
Edit: Wrote this last night and forgot to hit send.

How did you flip the splitter? I rolled my first SS years ago in the 1st week after buying it new, hence the lower motor mount. I've left the SS SE pretty stock but after moving around the box wedge SS around lately with the low motor mount I really need to take the time to move the motor down on the SS SE.

I find the best part of lists is that once I right it down I no longer have to keep trying to remember all the things I need to do and can focus on the task at hand.

How did you flip the splitter?

In one word, stupidity.
Along side the conveyor is a large Oak, and it's humped up considerably.
I had moved the conveyor to the garage to clean it up.
Needed to unload the log decks, so the conveyor not being there, I pulled the quad and splitter between the log decks.
Cut/split, dumping on the ground in reverse of how I usually do.
End of the day, I continued to pull forward past the Oak.
It worked the day before.
The steering and pivot, side to side, are on the same axle.
I had considered the axle under the table to be the pivot axle during the mod, or ballasting the under table tires.
Didn't see a need for the first, and the second would just make it heavier to move.
I think a simple stop block on the pivot axle would help.
Took a couple hours, and pulling the plug eight to ten times to get it running.
Switching in the Subaru for now, and ordering a new air filter for the Honda.
Got soaked in oil.
It sure smoked a lot once it fired up.
The reason I unloaded and moved the log decks and conveyor is a buddy is leveling it out tomorrow, because I plan on using the conveyor this year to load the dump trailer. And it too has to be pulled by the Oak, and between the log decks, to do that, obviously multiple times. The end game is a processor which will eliminate all of this, the splitter and log decks, and the conveyor will be dedicated to deliveries.

Clutch bearing greasing does not require clutch removal. Use a bar tip grease gun and grease through the end of the crank shaft
13608745ff28c4a119d0ae66d6f02653.jpg

New filter air box takes less than 5 mins to install. Two rubber straps, 2 screws, and relocate the primer bulb. Hope you got the white top filter and not the yellow top one. White top is a finer filter
b27f3b413042fe13f08b074765c9c759.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got the yellow filter. I ordered it two month ago from the saw shop. I wasn't aware there are two types. Certainly it will be a huge improvement over the existing one.
In preparation to use the conveyor for double duty, cutting/splitting and loading the dump trailer, I leveled the conveyor area at the splitter, then added some curbs and stop blocks to reposition it efficiently for loading the PackFix drums for bundling. I pulled the conveyor out twice and easily repositioned it. New cutting bench on log deck and some additional repairs. I needed to make room for the forklift between the log decks. Hope to be cutting/splitting mid week. A buddy brought his tractor over to do some loader work filling here in the wood lot for the conveyor and spread 20 yards of crushed concrete on the driveway to the house. Cold, grey, windy, sometimes snowy day. Still feeding the wood stove.

IMG_4784.jpgIMG_4783.jpg

On the Today List:
-install 562 XP filter kit.
-install Subaru engine on SuperSplit, service, and get it running after sitting on shelf for two years.
-order air filter, exhaust guard, and maybe a fuel tank to replace the dented one on the gx 200.
-install stop block and do layout on new cutting bench.
-service forklift and clean/wax. It has developed a hydraulic oil drip. Track that down.
-move stacks of pallets in prep for deliveries. I'll be starting deliveries from that end.
-palletize four rowpacks of junk wood. I need the boxes emptied to start processing.
27° going to 55° and full sun :drinkingcoffee:

What's on your Today List?

I got the yellow filter. I ordered it two month ago from the saw shop. I wasn't aware there are two types. Certainly it will be a huge improvement over the existing one.

You might want to order 5904588-03 as well. About $20. Then you have the finer one and a spare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back