Which dump trailer to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fully galvanized trailer from N&N. 6x12 10k GVW because I didn't want to deal with any DOT issues. It easily carries a loosely thrown cord with 2x12 sideboards, which the trailer has built in pockets for. Three stage telescopic lift has dumped everything with ease (including 5 ton of 2B stone!).

Trailer is made in Montreal and sold all over Ontario. I drove to London Ontario to pick mine up (Action Trailers). Had to pay 13% Canadian tax but it was refunded to me 2 months later - dealer provides a form to fill out.

Crane,

Look into Diamond C and Lamar as well. I just picked up a Diamond C Gooseneck flatbed and the construction is outstanding. I wore out the research button and ended up getting this from Spencer, IN. Beck’s sells Diamond C but I refuse to give them any money.

Gooseneck is going to not only handle loads better, but will allow you to carry more weight than a bumper pull because you can put more weight on the ball. My trailer is 14,000 but I can max out my trucks tow rating of almost 17,000 pounds because I can put 3300 on the ball. So if I place a load correctly, I can feasibly haul 17,300 with 5200 of that being the trailer.

They are a little different to back up, some ways easier some not. It just takes some getting used to.

The Kodiak trucks are kind of the red headed stepchild.
They have all the costs of a medium duty truck and stick out to DOT.

Where a 1-1.5 ton truck is gonna be cheaper and usually get the "it's just a pickup or farm truck" attention.

Does your state have different classes of non cdl licensing? I know Texas does. I imagine others do also. All you need to do is go to the FMCSA website for clarification on on the federal law. The officer charged you under the wrong statute. I’d be consulting an attorney to recoup my expenses.

So you could get a 12,000 dump trailer, be under cdl but still haul right up to cdl territory. Couple of magnetic dot numbers and you’re legal.

From what I understand, as long as the truck towing and trailer GCVWR is under 26k, it's ok.

IE, 19,000lb F550 would be limited to a 7k trailer.

I had thought as long as truck was under 26k GVRW it was ok. (Class B truck over 26k and over 10k trailer is a class A)

So you could get a 12,000 dump trailer, be under cdl but still haul right up to cdl territory. Couple of magnetic dot numbers and you’re legal.

depending on your hauling circumstances you may not even need DOT numbers. If you stay within 150 air miles of home and don’t cross state lines some states don’t require them. If their not required it saves a lot of record keeping and fees.

depending on your hauling circumstances you may not even need DOT numbers. If you stay within 150 air miles of home and don’t cross state lines some states don’t require them. If their not required it saves a lot of record keeping and fees.

MI requires them if you’re running a commercial operation.

The 10,000lb weight of the trailer alone does not constitute a CDL license requirement. The combined weight of truck and trailer exceeding 26,001lbs is what the rule is based on. You can pull a 12,000lb trailer with a truck that weighs 12,000lbs with a combined weight of 24,000lbs and not need a class a cdl license. If the combined weight is over 26,000lbs and the trailer is under 10,000lbs you would need a class B cdl, If the combined weight is over 26,000lbs and the trailer weighs over 10,000lbs you would need a class A cdl license. Some state may have different laws, but as per the Fed law, the 11,000lb truck with the 14,000lb trailer only had a combined weight of 25,000lbs. The DOT cop is wrong unless the PA rule is in addition to the Fed rule. I would seek my $4k back.

Also, if the truck has a commercial plate (as mine does) the truck needs to be licensed (plated) for the maximum sticker combined weight of truck and trailer.
My truck is plated at 22k. Truck and trailer exceeding 22k would be a weight violation.
I read on YouTube where this guy was ticketed and fined for improper registration. He fought it and won. The also re ticketed him for a weight violation (not the original ticket) and fined him after the fact, but the fine was much less.
Apparently it could have gone either way, depending on what he said to the judge. He was adamant the truck was properly licensed and registered.

Definitely check out a gooseneck before you pull the trigger.

How about leave the firewood on the pallets and use a craned flatedeck for deliveries:
truck.jpg

What happened to the tail lift truck and motorised pallet jack idea?

KiwiBro: It would take a larger truck than I have to haul firewood and the 6,500 pound piggyback forklift. Also, I have found that loading pallets requires cleaning the pallets with a broom to remove dirt and gravel that get packed or embeded so the pallets set firmly on the truck bed, and no debree falls off during transport. I have been using canvas socks with velco on each bundle, and double strapping the bundles. None of this is difficult, but does take a bit of time, perhaps 45-60 minutes to load/strap six bundles. I load two and strap so I can reach, before loading two more. Lots of on/off the forklift. I've been unloading by hand, moving the pallets to sweep the deck, again stacking empty pallets and strapping, and stuffing socks into duffle bags. Again, nothing difficult, but takes time. A delivery can take three hours empty truck to empty truck, and every piece is hand thrown off the truck. If a lift was used to unload, the pallets then become an additional expense to the customer, and an empty pallet for them to deal with. I have a few customers that unload with equipment. Some make an effort to save the pallets, some do not.
IMG_4588.jpg

The reason for using a trailer in the first place is cost. Cheap registration, cheap Insurance if any cost at all in that regard. Most states consider it insured if it’s hooked to an insured vehicle. Then there’s no drivetrain to maintain, just lights and brakes. All of that makes a trailer far more appealing when you only run it 100 days a year or less.

We, Margaret and I, had four vehicles registered. Her newer car, I drove her old car, and the gmc 5500. A few years ago she retired and found a very nice older rv trailer. (It has torsion suspension axles, my only experience with them) We added a pickup we could both drive safely to tow it, and I wanted a one ton if I ever did use it for firewood, thinking maybe a dump insert for smaller fire pit loads, or a single pallet.
Now we are downsizing. Daughter has my car, and the gmc 5500 is going because of operating cost, and deliveries simply take too much time and effort. I'm also trying to increase the amount of firewood I do, which increases the amount of time spent on deliveries. The cost of operating the truck has out paced the volume of wood I do. Increasing volume helps with that, but again, it still takes too long. Have done that for several years, and now I'm done doing it that way. The plus was I often got to know customers a little while unloading.
I priced a landscape bed a couple years ago, around 10k.
I could pay someone to add a hoist to what I have, but probably not cost effective labor wise.
Michigan trailer (small trailer) registration is a one time fee/plate. No annual tabs. I think they call it a 'permanent' plate.
I expect to save over 2k a year in expenses making the switch, even with trailer tire/brake maintenance expenses. Pickup truck expenses may go up some additionally, but mostly general service/maintenance anyway.IMG_4557.jpg

Would anyone trust their deliveries to a general cartage contractor instead of doing the deliveries themselves? Someone who, because they are doing it year round, can justify a good set-up?

Would such an option, if it existed, cost too much?

Back