• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Which less popular 50cc ish saw to port??

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
There’s AM cylinder/ piston kits on sleezebay for $25/$30 for husky saws. Grab a husky 350, grab the 346 Xp kit, bingo we have a winner for a affordable price.

Yotaismygame

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
There’s AM cylinder/ piston kits on sleezebay for $25/$30 for husky saws. Grab a husky 350, grab the 346 Xp kit, bingo we have a winner for a affordable price.
like I said before I’m not interested in a saw that is well known. Since this is for fun I’d rather pickup a saw that most consider lame or don’t consider it at all. A 346 is one of the most popular small saws. No fun in doing one of those.

henry r

henry r

ArboristSite Operative
Not quite 50cc but a Homelite Super XL AO

they are old, plentyful, in blue and white they look awesome, by all acounts are still practical and are cheap.

(plus i have one and would love to see how someone who knows what they are doing, does it, so i can copy :D )

Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
I'd like a cheap ported 50cc saw also.

Think I'm going to try a clamshell 46cc Poulan 2900 on for size.

I have a Shindaiwa 491s also. Same saw as an Echo 490 except in red. But the Poulan has a funky look to it and might be a better sleeper saw. I think the 2900 is also a little bit lighter and a little bit thinner.

And I can probably sell the Shindaiwa for enough to cover the cost of the Poulan and a new 16" b&c to replace the 20 that's on it, and have a dollar or two left over.

Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
Look up what size you want & get one of the less expensive Chinese knock-off saws. Seen quite a few online running good actually. Some may have been ported. I can't see any of them not benefiting from a port, exhaust job.
I just got one of these for ten bucks. A 45cc Blue Max 6595.

Only problem is that the chain brake lever is too close to the handlebar. It's a bit of a distraction that I don't like. So I don't think I'd be putting much time into porting it.
Might see what I can do with the muffler though.

svk

Saw Hoarder
For a budget build I’d find a 340/345/350 and port an aftermarket cylinder. @Mattyo has some very informative YouTube videos about which cylinders produce the most power.

Mattyo

Mattyo

Youtube Speciawist
The 350 family is very flexible for head options and porting. You can play all day with them for sure. :) oem 346xp heads are cheap and effective. ..even without port work. Lately I've been using the warhawk heads from hl supply and they are a very nice and cheap copy of oem 346xp.

svk

Saw Hoarder
The 350 family is very flexible for head options and porting. You can play all day with them for sure. :) oem 346xp heads are cheap and effective. ..even without port work. Lately I've been using the warhawk heads from hl supply and they are a very nice and cheap copy of oem 346xp.
Good to know. I have two 345/350 carcasses to build at some point.

Jethro 2t sniffer

Jethro 2t sniffer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good to know. I have two 345/350 carcasses to build at some point.
I have a 350 1 owner 20 years I pulled out the base chucked a hose clamp on the intake and cut a side port in the muffler and it's a nice little saw now. But....
I wouldn't consider them cheap though because it's got husky on it people want gold for them around here.

What are the cheap 346 jugs on Ebay like?

bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a very lame 543XP if you are interested in making it run better. Definitely, not a very popular saw and a dead dawg out of the box. Dolmar 420 you don't hear much about and they are a fantastic saw but would imagine there is also some potential to be unlocked.

Yotaismygame

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Let’s not turn this into a 346 and variant thread. I’m sure most of you didn’t read the majority of what’s going on in here which is why that saw keeps getting brought up. If I wanted to build a 346 etc I would just do it. All the information is already out there. For those who can read and posted good or even bad suggestions, thank you.

I like the older small shindawas. That brand in general I find kind of neat.

Mattyo

Mattyo

Youtube Speciawist
Let’s not turn this into a 346 and variant thread. I’m sure most of you didn’t read the majority of what’s going on in here which is why that saw keeps getting brought up. If I wanted to build a 346 etc I would just do it. All the information is already out there. For those who can read and posted good or even bad suggestions, thank you.

I like the older small shindawas. That brand in general I find kind of neat.

All good ... lemme know if I can help further.